Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/5/2014 11:43:54 AM EDT
I traded for a 1895 recently and have a question about a possible safety issue.  This is my first lever gun and I know things aren't quite the same but when I cycle the bolt and apply the button safety I can still pull the trigger and the hammer falls.  Is this working as intended or a Remlin issue?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/5/2014 11:51:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Working as intended as long as it's not hitting the firing pin. Make sure gun is unloaded and pull trigger with safety off and safety on and notice how the hammer does not drop as far with the safety on.

Edit - Just checked my 1895gs and you can see if the hammer hit the firing pin with the safety off,or if it doesn't with the safety on.
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 8:54:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Yep, the safety blocks the hammer from striking the firing pin. It never was designed to stop the hammer from falling. Pre-Remington Marlins with the safety are the same way.
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 7:56:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks all.  New to lever guns and took a chance on a remlin.

Glad it isn't a problem!  Overall the whole rifle seems pretty nice!
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 5:01:48 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
For me, it's a problem. A safety that allows the hammer to fall is a safety issue, not in that it makes the gun itself unsafe, but in that you instinctively react to a misfire, not to rifle on safe. In certain cercumstances, it might not be a problem. In others, it could get you dead.

Fortunately, they are easy to fix.

Link Posted: 7/18/2014 6:56:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
For me, it's a problem. A safety that allows the hammer to fall is a safety issue, not in that it makes the gun itself unsafe, but in that you instinctively react to a misfire, not to rifle on safe. In certain cercumstances, it might not be a problem. In others, it could get you dead.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The first time I took my 1895 out, about the third shot string, I pulled the trigger and got a resounding "click". I always like to try a second hit when a cartridge doesn't go off, so I thumbed back the hammer and tried again, with the same result. I worked the lever and watched that a round chambered, since I occasionally will short stroke a lever gun. With a fresh round loaded, I took aim and squeezed the trigger. Once again, "CLICK"!

I was just starting to wonder WTF was up with my reloads, when my buddy tapped me on the shoulder and pointed out that the safety was on!

When I got home, I placed an order and remedied that situation post haste!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top