Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/27/2014 8:08:19 PM EDT
Traded a Rossi revolver and a little cash for a Mossberg 472 lever action rifle chambered in .35 Remington.

The rifle was about 95%. Bluing was great with some light marks on the forearm and stock.

I reload and thought this would be a good caliber to try out.

Yes 30-30 would have been easier to obtain but I like to tinker.

I'll use it for hog hunting here in Florida.

Shot it today and it was right on at 50 yards. 200 grain rnsp.

It has some authority to it, in between a .223 and 30-06.

I have about 32 loaded rounds for it and 24 empties for reloading.

I can form brass for it from 30-06, 303 british or 30-40 Krag.

I have a 30-06 so brass is no issue.

Dies are en-route.

I'm thinking 200 grain cast bullets with gas check to start out with.  

Any thoughts?

Link Posted: 6/28/2014 11:25:34 PM EDT
[#1]
I like the 472 and have one in .30-30.  As far as forming .35 Remington brass from .303 British or .30-40 Krag, besides reforming the brass body, you would also have to use a lathe to turn off the rim and then cut an extractor groove, since the .35 Remington is rimless and the .303 and .30-40 both are rimmed. The .30-06 brass is rimless but has a larger diameter head than the .35 Rem, I don't think that it can be swaged down (resized) enough to be able to chamber. Some brass can be turned down on a lathe but I don't think that .30-06 brass could be turned down far enough without thinning the brass too much.

I've successfully reformed .30-06 brass to 7.65 Argentine and ,30-30 and .32 WS brass to .30 Herrett but they only had to be reformed, shortened, then fireformed, no lathe work to the rim or extractor groove.
Link Posted: 7/4/2014 6:34:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Nice rifle and a GREAT cartridge.  As was said before, the three cartridges you named to make brass out of are pretty much a no-go, but .35 Remington brass is still available as new so no worries there.  Works great on deer and black bear, should be a killer on hogs too.

Rob
Link Posted: 7/4/2014 7:26:46 AM EDT
[#3]
You can also shoot bullets designed for .38/.357 pistols........although I would be mindful those are designed for lower (---short barrel---) velocity.I hunted with a  Super 16 Contender and it did quite well with the Remington Short Jacket Hollow Point bullets.I killed a fair number of Indiana whitetails with it.
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 10:38:37 PM EDT
[#4]
So, have you started to load for your 472 yet? If your .35 is as accurate as my .30-30, it will make a great whitetail and hog gun. I've only loaded 200 gr JSPs in mine so far. I have some 220 gr JRN but haven't loaded any yet.

Watch the EE Reloading section for .35 Remington brass, new or fired, it should last for quite a few firings.

Just to clarify, the 200gr and 220gr bullets that I have are for my Marlin 336C chambered in .35 Remington. My Mossberg 472 is chambered in .30-30.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top