Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/22/2014 4:20:48 AM EDT
Brand new stainless Rossi 92 in 44 mag.

Loaded up 10 Herters brass cased soft points in the tube. Wouldn't chamber worth a damn. They were feeding into the chamber at the wrong angle and jamming the lever up. Some of the rounds I was able to back off the lever, stick my finger in there, and then push the cartridge into the chamber.

I was able to get it to successfully feed two of the 10 rounds by slamming the lever open and closed. The rest all jammed up and had to be angled in with my finger.

Something wrong with the gun here?? I would be pretty surprised if it doesn't feed soft points.
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 4:28:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Must be something with that particular gun. My .45 Ranch Hand fed 300 rds of lead semiwadcutter reloads flawlessly before I sbr'd it. Only shot another 100 rds since then because I've run out of powder and can't find more.

But it's never not fed cast bullets. In fact the gun has never seen a jacketed bullet.
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 5:19:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Shell casing expansion is often a problem on my 44 mags...

Try buffing out chamber,.
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 8:57:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Those Herter's rounds wouldn't happen to be semi-wadcutters, would they?
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 9:13:12 AM EDT
[#4]
The '92 is cartridge overall length sensitive.  If it's just a little long, it will not feed.  Try another bullet design or weight before giving up on the gun.  

some bullet shapes hang up too.

The right load will go through the gun like butter.  

Link Posted: 5/22/2014 10:21:33 AM EDT
[#5]
I certainly wouldnt blame the gun if you only tried one particular ammo. You gotta see what it likes, if after 4-5 different rounds, if it still does the exact same , than you can look at the gun.
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 3:18:59 PM EDT
[#6]
I know this will sound odd....

Try loosening the screw on the left side of the gun that holds the cartridge guide ( I think that's what its called). About a 1/2 to 3/4 of a turn. See if that helps.
Link Posted: 5/23/2014 10:01:23 AM EDT
[#7]
As mentioned above the '92 action is ammo sensitive, that applies to original Winchesters as well.
I have a Braztec 20" that will digest anything and an older 24" octagon that absolutely will not feed my favorite
round nose cowboy bullet, all part of the fun of old designs!
Link Posted: 5/23/2014 10:34:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Strangely enough, my 357 Rossi (an older LSI import) will even feed full wadcutters.
Link Posted: 5/23/2014 8:24:40 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a Chiappa M92 in .44mag.  I experienced the same issue with Winchester .44mag JSP, though not quite as severe.  PMC .44spl worked GREAT.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 1:06:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Had issues with mine also. Likes PMC real well, but tried some older reloads a friend had, and no go.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 3:12:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Similar to others above, no issues with mine; so I'd strongly suggest trying another ammo as a first-approach. I've got rossi/puma leverguns in .357, .44. and 454, all of which have 'long' and 'short' ammuntion choices (special vs. magnum, LC vs. Casull), and other than full-flat wadcutters, haven't had a feeding issue with any of them.

Sorry can't be more help, just never had that problem.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 3:34:48 PM EDT
[#12]
The Herters ammo might be the problem, try some quality ammo in it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top