Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/16/2014 6:03:20 PM EDT
I'm looking into getting a .357 Mag lever action. I already have a Thompson 1927A1 that I absolutely love, and now I have the lever action bug.

So far it looks like there's probably 3 options:

Henry Big Boy, Marlin 1894C, & Rossi M92.

I'm leaning towards the Marlin, simply because it can be easily scoped.

What are you guys' opinions/experiences on these 3 guns? Are there any others I should be considering?

How accurate should I expect them to be @ 100 yards?

Share your thoughts.
Link Posted: 3/16/2014 6:29:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I'm looking into getting a .357 Mag lever action. I already have a Thompson 1927A1 that I absolutely love, and now I have the lever action bug.

So far it looks like there's probably 3 options:

Henry Big Boy, Marlin 1894C, & Rossi M92.

I'm leaning towards the Marlin, simply because it can be easily scoped.

What are you guys' opinions/experiences on these 3 guns? Are there any others I should be considering?

How accurate should I expect them to be @ 100 yards?

Share your thoughts.
View Quote

Tag
Link Posted: 3/16/2014 6:54:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Rossi Model 92 Carbine, 20" bbl, .44 Magnum
Sierra 210 gr. JHP, 21 gr. #2400, 25 yards, 04 Apr 2012, factory sights.

Accuracy ... probably better than I can shoot it. (or perhaps I should have said "aim it")

ETA: Weight 6.2 lbs. empty.
Link Posted: 3/16/2014 7:28:16 PM EDT
[#3]
My Rossi  M92 20" 357 mag has factory scope rail

I'm thinkin about  listing  it for trade in the EE
Link Posted: 3/17/2014 8:56:10 AM EDT
[#4]
I just picked up my Rossi 92 20inch barrel in .357 last week. I havent had a chance to shoot it yet, but is sure feels well balanced, actions smooth, and best off I was able to get it in the house without the wife finding out...
Link Posted: 3/17/2014 9:36:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Henry Big Boy .. love mine only minor complaint is the lack of loading gate.. but the looks and the feel make up for it.

Link Posted: 3/17/2014 9:40:55 AM EDT
[#6]
TAG.

I still think it would make a fine suppressor host in .38 spl.

TRG
Link Posted: 3/17/2014 9:56:13 AM EDT
[#7]
I'd love a pre-Remington Marlin in .357 mag but they're really expensive any more.
Link Posted: 3/17/2014 10:21:17 AM EDT
[#8]
I got this same itch toward the end of last year.  After reading every review and forum I could find, I went with the Henry Big Boy and I love it.  Everything everyone said about the action being super smooth is absolutely correct.  It has the 20" octaganol barrel, beautiful wood grain on the stock, and that receiver.  Wow.  I do love the look of that brass receiver.  

Thankfully, Henry RAC started drilling and tapping the receiver for a scope mount late in 2011, and Henry sells the scope mount right on their website for a very reasonable $27.50.  If you end up going with the Henry, just make sure you get one that has the serial number that corresponds to a 2nd generation version.  I already have a scope mounted on mine and the overall package has already received several positive comments from friends and strangers at the range.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 3/17/2014 11:31:01 AM EDT
[#9]
I might can shed some insight to this for you. I have the 24" Rossi M92 with the octagonal barrel and LOVE to shoot it with both 38s and 357s. I have about 400 rounds out of mine so far without a single issue. Using a heavier weight 38SPL the recoil is none at all and the sound is a little less than a 22 LR. Ive only shot mine at 100 yards once but when I did there was very little wind and I was able to achieve a 3" group off of a crappy shooting rest using AAA 38 special reloads. Im sure this could be improved with 357s or better quality ammo.

I have nothing but great things to say about the Rossi M92. Everyone that shoots it really enjoys it.
Link Posted: 3/17/2014 11:55:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I got this same itch toward the end of last year.  After reading every review and forum I could find, I went with the Henry Big Boy and I love it.  Everything everyone said about the action being super smooth is absolutely correct.  It has the 20" octaganol barrel, beautiful wood grain on the stock, and that receiver.  Wow.  I do love the look of that brass receiver.  

Thankfully, Henry RAC started drilling and tapping the receiver for a scope mount late in 2011, and Henry sells the scope mount right on their website for a very reasonable $27.50.  If you end up going with the Henry, just make sure you get one that has the serial number that corresponds to a 2nd generation version.  I already have a scope mounted on mine and the overall package has already received several positive comments from friends and strangers at the range.

Good luck.
View Quote

+1, mine is pre drilled and taped from the factory - ready to go for optics if need be.
Link Posted: 3/17/2014 12:17:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Good luck.
View Quote

Interesting. I didn't know Henry started drilling/tapping. If that's the case, I'd take a Henry.

Thanks for the good info. Keep it coming!
Link Posted: 3/17/2014 12:54:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Interesting. I didn't know Henry started drilling/tapping. If that's the case, I'd take a Henry.

Thanks for the good info. Keep em coming!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good luck.

Thanks for the good info. Keep em coming!

Yep, i bought mine this jan brand new. Generation two mounts like below : Its pre-drilled and taped.

http://www.henryrepeating.com/st-scope-mount.cfm

Note to Big Boy owners
In September 2011 we began shipping the 2nd generation Big Boy rifles which feature receivers that are drilled and tapped for the scope mount. In previous production 1st generation the barrels were drilled and tapped if rollmarked Bayonne NJ. First generation Big Boys use the BB-CSM Cantilever Scope Mount. 2nd generation current production use the new style BB-RSM Receiver Scope Mount. 2nd generation Big Boys start with the following serial numbers:

H006 = BB0047222

H006M = BB0015530M

H006C = BB0021188C
Link Posted: 3/17/2014 1:38:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Marlins are STILL good rifles!

Henry's are great rifles but HEAVY!!!

Link Posted: 3/17/2014 1:45:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

They are a little heavy.. (8lbs for big boy) but i am used to lugging around milsurp rifles so its not a big issue for me.
Link Posted: 3/17/2014 2:09:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I'd love a pre-Remington Marlin in .357 mag but they're really expensive any more.
View Quote

I picked one up for $700 on GB a few weeks ago, it's pretty nice. (JM) I have a .44 as well.
Link Posted: 3/17/2014 3:28:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I picked one up for $700 on GB a few weeks ago, it's pretty nice. (JM) I have a .44 as well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pretty good deal now, miss the days of $300 Marlins.

I've got a 1894 in .44mag that I picked up in trade last month, love that gun.
Link Posted: 3/17/2014 4:31:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

Couldn't be any heavier than my Thompson .45. That sucker is a beast.
Link Posted: 3/17/2014 5:23:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

I picked one up last summer from a fellow ARFCOM member for $600 and it even came with a WWG trigger and a bag of spare parts. Deals are out there if a guy is patient.

OP. out of the choices you mentioned I prefer the Marlin. The Henry is a little too heavy for a gun that is supposed to be a quick handling carbine and I just can't warm up to the Rossi.
Link Posted: 3/18/2014 4:59:51 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

No denying the weight comment.  I think the 'greatness' comes at a cost, both financially and in the weight department.  The Henry runs a bit more expensive than the other options you mentioned in most places, and that beautiful octagonal barrel is a beast, but both are worth it, IMHO.  I was on the fence for a bit, until I picked up the Henry.  Once I actually handled one, felt the quality of the fit and finish, the grain of the wood, how smooth the action cycled, I was sold.  I couldnt get the money out of my pocket fast enough, lol.
Link Posted: 3/18/2014 7:14:08 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

No denying the weight comment.  I think the 'greatness' comes at a cost, both financially and in the weight department.  The Henry runs a bit more expensive than the other options you mentioned in most places, and that beautiful octagonal barrel is a beast, but both are worth it, IMHO.  I was on the fence for a bit, until I picked up the Henry.  Once I actually handled one, felt the quality of the fit and finish, the grain of the wood, how smooth the action cycled, I was sold.  I couldnt get the money out of my pocket fast enough, lol.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

FWIW, I bought my first Henry (22LR, Youth) a couple weeks ago.  Action started out smooth, but, the more I shot it ... the rougher it became.

I did not see any requirement in the manual for lubrication points, but, I spritzed the action with lube and it went back to glassy smooth again.

This was after 1000 rounds or so that it developed the gritty feel.  Dunno if that is the same on the Big Boy or not with the action's smoothness.

TRG
Link Posted: 3/18/2014 8:45:03 AM EDT
[#21]
I think you would be wise to handle all three before you make up your mind.

Different makes, and different barrel lengths can, obviously, handle quite differently ... so try before you buy.

Everybody touts what he has, and likes, which may or may not be what you will like.

That's the risk in asking for advice on what to buy, that you end up with what some other guy likes.
Link Posted: 3/18/2014 1:30:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

They are a little heavy.. (8lbs for big boy) but i am used to lugging around milsurp rifles so its not a big issue for me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then you won't mind the weight.....I've shot .357 Henry's and 45 Colt Henry's.......nicely made!!!
Link Posted: 3/18/2014 7:40:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Never player with a Henry in anything bigger than a .22, but they make a good gun.  The Marlin's are by far easier to remove the bolt to clean than either of the others.  If you want a scope I'd pick one of these two but.....I don't like scoping a lever action.  To me it ruins the balance and handling characteristics of what the gun is intended to be....a fast handling, short distance rifle.  I have both a Browning B92 and one of the new Miroku/Winchester '73's in .357 and love them both.  Receiver mounted peep sight on the Browning, folding rear and tang mounted peep on the '73.

As my eyes age I may have to go to a red-dot type sight on these guns.  When that happens my gunsmith has assured me that he can build a custom barrel mount with rail to mount a micro red dot for either of them with no problem.

Handle them all and buy the one you like the best.  You'll be happy.

Rob
Link Posted: 3/18/2014 11:52:27 PM EDT
[#24]
I found a NIB (JM stamped) Marlin 4-5 yrs ago on the rack at the LGS.  Only one that I've seen anyplace since then.  It is a nice gun.  Before mine, Marlin made a run of these in stainless--think I actually saw one about 15 (?) yrs ago at a gun show.  

If you run across a Marlin you probably should buy it as no telling how long it will be until the next one comes along.  They are likely worth in the 600 to 1000 range for a blued one.
Link Posted: 3/19/2014 7:56:41 AM EDT
[#25]
I echo the suggestion to handle all 3 and see which one fancies you the most.
Link Posted: 3/19/2014 8:02:51 AM EDT
[#26]
I have a Browning 92 in 357mag and love it.  Stumbled on it at the LGS last year.  It is a little picky with overall length of  ammo, but if I load my 38s a little long it cycles great.  357s all seem to cycle pretty well.  I can hit 6" gongs offhand at 100 yds pretty consistently.
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 6:01:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Thanks for the input everyone.

I think I'll try to handle both the Marlin & Henry & see which one I like better.

Or I might just buy the first one I can find, regardless.
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 6:11:46 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I think I'll try to handle both the Marlin & Henry & see which one I like better.

View Quote

Don't sell the Rossi short, you may be surprised.
Link Posted: 3/21/2014 6:58:58 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My buddy has a Rossi that I've shot. I liked it a lot. Shot well & was an absolute blast.

If I come across one reasonably priced, I may just pick it up.
Link Posted: 3/21/2014 9:56:16 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I just picked up my Rossi 92 20inch barrel in .357 last week. I havent had a chance to shoot it yet, but is sure feels well balanced, actions smooth, and best off I was able to get it in the house without the wife finding out...
View Quote

I just ordered a 16" 92 for my wife for her birthday.  
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 2:52:11 PM EDT
[#31]
I bought the 16" Rossi stainless in 357 a year ago. It's seen around 1k of my own cast 158s in both 38 and 357. Various powders and cases. Never an issue with any of them. My favorite fun fifle for shooting.

Nix the scope idea and get the peep sight that replaces the safety. It is very small and looks like it belongs there
Link Posted: 3/24/2014 10:00:18 AM EDT
[#32]
Link?
Link Posted: 3/24/2014 10:10:07 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Link?
View Quote

I'm guessing he's talking about this: http://levergunscommunity.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=22164
Link Posted: 3/24/2014 3:30:47 PM EDT
[#34]
Called everywhere trying to find a Henry, everyone pretty much laughed at me.

Finally found a shop that had one that was very well priced (IMO) & didn't hesitate to drive aways to pick it up.

Anddddd here it is.

Haven't had the chance to shoot it yet, but oh my is it a pretty gun. Very smooth action as well.

Can't wait to take it to the range.
Link Posted: 3/24/2014 4:08:57 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Called everywhere trying to find a Henry, everyone pretty much laughed at me.

Finally found a shop that had one that was very well priced (IMO) & didn't hesitate to drive aways to pick it up.

Anddddd here it is.

http://i60.tinypic.com/id5cvd.jpg

Haven't had the chance to shoot it yet, but oh my is it a pretty gun. Very smooth action as well.

Can't wait to take it to the range.
View Quote

welcome to the Big boy club!
Link Posted: 3/24/2014 5:15:09 PM EDT
[#36]
nice gun, those Henry's really do have slick actions. That reverse photo will really mess with some people. I wonder how many people will call their local dealers wanting to buy  a left handed Henry Bigboy.
Link Posted: 3/24/2014 6:30:42 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
nice gun, those Henry's really do have slick actions. That reverse photo will really mess with some people. I wonder how many people will call their local dealers wanting to buy  a left handed Henry Bigboy.
View Quote

I just realized I reversed it. Whoops.
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 12:54:20 PM EDT
[#38]
If you don't mind answering, what are those going for?
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 6:28:38 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

Brand new.. 6 to 7 bills
Link Posted: 3/29/2014 7:44:01 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

I paid $750 for mine, before tax.

It wasn't a screaming deal, but I was pleased with the price.
Link Posted: 3/31/2014 8:05:58 AM EDT
[#41]
I paid $525 for the Model 92 from Bud's. Free shipping. The trigger is substantially better than my friend's Marlin and the fit and finish is a little lower quality, but not enough to matter if you intend to really use the gun. I do wish they were available with a receiver or tang peep sight as a factory option. The safety is a little wonky and I can easily see how it would be accidentally deactivated (or activated ) in normal use. Overall, it is a fantastic rifle and it feels really short and handy. I can't wait to shoot it but my wife's birthday isn't until the 8th.
Link Posted: 3/31/2014 8:24:45 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

I bought the 16" Rossi stainless in 357 a year ago. It's seen around 1k of my own cast 158s in both 38 and 357. Various powders and cases. Never an issue with any of them. My favorite fun fifle for shooting.

View Quote

This is the same thing I was going to come here and post. Awesome rifle.

Link Posted: 4/2/2014 4:17:58 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r624/92-55001/0be7e010-dfb2-4ebf-9dd5-adda5f00a034.jpg

Accuracy ... probably better than I can shoot it. (or perhaps I should have said "aim it")

http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r624/92-55001/4a31415b-db22-448c-a24b-247d744aa390.jpg

View Quote

The gun in the photo looks like it can also be tube fed. Is that a Braztech\Rossi?
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 7:10:42 PM EDT
[#44]
I have a Winchester 94ae in 357 magnum. And yes it is very fun to shot and you can shoot it all day long it is a blast. Lots of fun.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 8:49:40 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

The gun in the photo looks like it can also be tube fed. Is that a Braztech\Rossi?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r624/92-55001/0be7e010-dfb2-4ebf-9dd5-adda5f00a034.jpg

http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r624/92-55001/4a31415b-db22-448c-a24b-247d744aa390.jpg

Not my rifle, but I can assure you it is not tube fed.  When the picture is enlarged, you can see the white and gray pattern on the decking gives a false profile to the magazine tube.  It's solid.  Only the R92 in .454 Casull has the option of loading gate or opening in the magazine tube.  
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 8:32:35 AM EDT
[#46]
I've got two Rossi 357mags and I absolutely love them. The light, slim design of the original Winchester '92 is faithfully reproduced to give an affordable shooter that looks and shoots really well.  Both mine (purchased new in 2009) are accurate as heck.
My first, this 24" octagon bbl rifle, is my long range version and I can't believe how well it shoots with my 158grn handloads.  At 7lbs 10oz with it's octagon barrel, it hangs very well for long range shooting.  It's 30" sight radius from the Marbles tang to the Lyman globe I added, makes this puppy plenty accurate with 8" plates a snap at 225yds.

I liked my rifle so well, I couldn't pass up the chance to also get a carbine to go with it.  It's surprisingly accurate even at 200yds with my old eyes and at 5lbs 14oz, it's a joy to take on a varmint or plinking outing.

Especially when I take my Uberti SA Cavalry model, also in 357mag with me.

Even though both Rossis fed both 38spl and 357mag with no problems right out of the box, like all modern firearms it seems, they are over sprung from the factory to compensate for the less than smooth internal action machining right out of the box.
Besides placing a lot of load on moving parts that can increase wear, the stock Rossi springs are known for making the action a bit heavy and the ejector is famous for ejecting brass into neighboring counties when the actions are cycled.  
However, with Steve's Gunz $58 slickup kit with DvD you learn how easy and satisfying it is to treat your Rossi to a slicker action and smoother and lighter trigger to boot.  Best of all, your reducing the wear of the sliding interfaces as well as eliminating the ejection of brass into low earth orbit.

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:33:23 AM EDT
[#47]
I'm very pleased with the Rossi M92 with 20 inch barrel I recently bought.  I've not shot it much due to limited time but it shoots tight with boxed Federal jsp .357's and my plinking .38 load.  My trigger is pretty good.  My Dad also bought one...his trigger is a little stiffer but he's not been working the action and trigger like I have.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:43:21 PM EDT
[#48]
early rossi 38.357 wood redone locally from another board member zteknik

bbl threaded by hockeysew, COHTF.  waiting for my YHM cobra 45 can, hopefully mid - late may.

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:53:00 PM EDT
[#49]
Winchester trapper 94ae. Love this lil carbine.

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 6:28:02 AM EDT
[#50]
That Henry looks pretty slick  --- I  want to try one   one of these days in .45    -----   one would look very cool with a 24 or 26" tube --- although with those octagon barrels, it would weigh quite a bit for a pistol caliber carbine
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top