Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/19/2013 7:55:17 PM EDT
I finally got my SBR tax stamp for my Rossi Ranchhand.
I have a Precision Gun Works stock, but didn't spring for the PGW forearm.
Wondering if anyone knows a close match stain for the Rossi forearm so I can get the stock close.
Here's a work in progress photo if anyone is interested:

Anyone know a source for a non-large loop finger lever for the Rossi or Winchester 92?
I'd prefer to have one of those.
I've googled and googled and can't find any.

Wow, I googled again and found several.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 8:09:26 PM EDT
[#1]
I would be tempted to sand the stock and hand guards and just tung oil them both to get a consistent look.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 8:28:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Any idea what kind of wood Rossi has been using?
I've been thinking that I need to get the forearms from PGW, but right now I've got a lot of work ahead just to finish the stock.
I might pick up a forearm to use once I have the stock done and I can start playing.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 8:49:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I've been thinking that I need to get the forearms from PGW, but right now I've got a lot of work ahead just to finish the stock.
I might pick up a forearm to use once I have the stock done and I can start playing.

Do the stock the way you want it, then try to match the forend. Don't do the other way around - that's like trying to make caviar out of shit. Rossi is known for their "mystery wood" furniture. The stock on my 92 was made out of 2 completely different pieces of wood glued together then "stained" in that crap shoe polish they use.

Link Posted: 3/20/2013 5:17:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

If it were me I'd just spring for the PGW hand guard and be done with it. That way it's all the same species of wood.

It sounds like matching the stock with the hand guard is a high priority. Getting two different wood species to match might not be worth the effort and time.

YMMV
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 5:26:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Mine's in the same condition.

I was just going to finish up with a walnut stain and if that didn't match well enough then sand and refinish the forearm and live with it.

Mine's a .45, what's yours? I've got 100 rds thru it with the stock on and it's kick ass.
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 8:39:09 AM EDT
[#6]
I worked some on the stock last night trying to get the stock to fit the Winchester buttplate a little better.
I'll probably just finish the stock like I want and then get the SGW forearm like what was suggested.
So what's the best way to finish Winchester stocks?
I'd love it if I could make this look as nice as my old 94.
Wish I'd been able to spend the 6 month tax stamp wait finishing the stock.

Mine is .357.
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 8:43:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Some guys here have used Watco Danish Oil, and the photos look really nice. They just put it on right over the factory "finish".

Your hardware store, Home Depot, etc. should have it.

Link Posted: 3/20/2013 8:47:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I worked some on the stock last night trying to get the stock to fit the Winchester buttplate a little better.
I'll probably just finish the stock like I want and then get the SGW forearm like what was suggested.
So what's the best way to finish Winchester stocks?
I'd love it if I could make this look as nice as my old 94.
Wish I'd been able to spend the 6 month tax stamp wait finishing the stock.

Mine is .357.

Looks like really nice wood - I'd go with tru oil. Put it on straight - light sand. Straight - light sand. 5 x or until the pores are filled. Then cut with 25% mineral spirits - light sand. Then cut 50% - light sand. Finally cut with 75% - then polish. Will turn out like it was dipped in glass. But you can't rush - this might take 7 to 10 days to do right.

But that's just me - I like hi gloss - esp. with nice wood.

Link Posted: 3/21/2013 5:12:31 PM EDT
[#10]
How is this for a match?

Actually I read the directions for the John Key Winchester stock oil and found it would take at least 30 days to complete.
Since I love lever actions, and the Rossi's are not real expensive, why not just buy another?
I decided I'd buy another Rossi and grab the stock off it.
Now I'll be able to work on the stock (and soon to be ordered forearm) and not be in such a hurry to complete it.
I picked up a Rossi 92 with a 20" barrel.
So I'll have to eventually decide which one will get the nice wood.
May seem extreme, but I've spent more money on a pair of 601 handguards before...and didn't get a rifle with it.

I have a regular finger lever on the way too.
Although if I get real impatient I can grab the one off the 20".

Link Posted: 4/5/2013 6:03:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Here are the final pictures once the lever was replaced.
Can't wait to go shoot it,..this weekend looks promising!

Link Posted: 4/6/2013 6:18:27 AM EDT
[#12]
That looks awesome!

Where did get the standard sized loop? I couldn't find a thing when I looked several months ago. I lime how you wrapped it to.
Link Posted: 4/6/2013 7:12:38 PM EDT
[#13]
I took the finger lever off the 20" Rossi 92 that I bought.
I just won a new Rossi finger lever off GunBroker to replace the 20" rifle's finger lever.
I also won a Rossi stock set, so I can return the 20" back to its original condition.
Now I'll have a full set of wood for my Ranchhand while I do the PGW set the right way.
No rush means I'll be more inclined to take my time.
Hope to get the Ranchand out to the land to play soon.

I found a YouTube video on wrapping the finger lever.
I figured I'd try it with some old leather I have laying around, and if I didn't like it I'd take it off.
I'm happy with how it looks.
The leather that came with the Ranchhand on the saddle ring kept getting caught under the finger lever, so I removed it.
Link Posted: 4/7/2013 5:51:04 AM EDT
[#14]
You lucky dog! I'd hoped you found an online source. I've thought about buying a carbine and robbing the stock and finger lever off it and then returning it to Rossi for fitment of new pieces since they aren't inclined to sell the parts seperately. What a pain that'll be.
Link Posted: 4/7/2013 9:12:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Id really like to SBR a ranch hand using an EVR style folding stock. I figure it'd be the ultimate in compact and compactable carbines.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top