Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/2/2010 9:19:04 AM EDT
Buddy brought over a new Marlin 336XLR .35 Rem, 24" SS Bbl,  last night. It was jammed tight. Lever open, bullet hung up down low. Took a couple of minutes but after removing the lever ( was under a lot of tension) I was able to raise up the bullet and push it into the chamber area and dump it out. Next round followed it and it got stuck too. Finally got them all out. I reloaded gun and they all chambered and ejected fine. The gun is a new 336 in .35 rem. The rounds were the new Leverevolutions. When asked what was wrong, why, and would it do it again I didn't have an answer. I think the pointed bullets are jamming somehow. Friend is a new hunter and not really a gun person. Needless to say he was disappointed. I recommended he take a back up gun on his trips. Think he paid $600 plus for it. Anyone else have this problem?
Link Posted: 1/2/2010 9:48:25 AM EDT
[#1]
I have had a Marlin 336 35 cal.   I have had this rifle since about 1956 and have never had a problem such as you describe.  Then again, I have never used the rounds that you stated.
Link Posted: 1/2/2010 10:12:38 AM EDT
[#2]
I have heard of a problem that is apparently fairly common with Marlin lever guns..... It is referred to as the "Dreaded Marlin Lever Jam" and has something to do with the design of the cam on the front of the lever that makes contact with the shell carrier....

If you Google "Marlin Lever Jam" you will get more info, but here is a link to a way to repair it:

Marlin lever fix
Link Posted: 1/2/2010 10:36:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Buddy brought over a new Marlin 336XLR .35 Rem, 24" SS Bbl,  last night. It was jammed tight. Lever open, bullet hung up down low. Took a couple of minutes but after removing the lever ( was under a lot of tension) I was able to raise up the bullet and push it into the chamber area and dump it out. Next round followed it and it got stuck too. Finally got them all out. I reloaded gun and they all chambered and ejected fine. The gun is a new 336 in .35 rem. The rounds were the new Leverevolutions. When asked what was wrong, why, and would it do it again I didn't have an answer. I think the pointed bullets are jamming somehow. Friend is a new hunter and not really a gun person. Needless to say he was disappointed. I recommended he take a back up gun on his trips. Think he paid $600 plus for it. Anyone else have this problem?

According to lore the .35 Remington has a special problem with Leverevolution bullets. Marlin uses the same size magazine tube for all calibers of 336, and as the .30-30 has a considerably larger rim than the .35 Remington, this results in a considerable gap between the rim of the .35 Rem and the inside of the magazine tube. If the tip of one of the Gummi bullets gets between the rim and the magazine tube, it can get wedged in there and jam the gun. The last I heard there were two solutions, use regular ammo, or load the gun with one gummi in the chamber and one in the tube. I'll look around and see if anybody has come up with a better solution.

EDIT: Following up, some folk report that if you are very careful about how you load the ammo into the magazine, you can get it to run reliably. http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/index.php/topic,21856.0.html
Link Posted: 1/2/2010 1:17:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the replies

Link Posted: 1/3/2010 2:36:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Rust in the magazine tube is a real problem for leverguns.

PLEASE check the magtube!!!

Link Posted: 1/8/2010 6:03:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I have heard of a problem that is apparently fairly common with Marlin lever guns..... It is referred to as the "Dreaded Marlin Lever Jam" and has something to do with the design of the cam on the front of the lever that makes contact with the shell carrier....

If you Google "Marlin Lever Jam" you will get more info, but here is a link to a way to repair it:

Marlin lever fix

Per your link , the Marlin Jam ( from what I have read ) is only with the M 1894 , which is chambered for hand gun calibers ?

The rifle caliber Marlins are of a different design .

Now , my take on the jam as described in the first post .

I have no experience with the LeveRoution ammo .  I do not own a .35 lever gun .

But I would recommend any new gun be field stripped , cleaned and lubed .

For a lever gun , I recommend the internals be lubed with grease , if the weather conditions will not be too cold for grease .  If not grease , maybe something like the little bottles of lube ( CLP ) Uncle used for AR's .  That are sold in surplus stores ?  That stuff is thicker than gun oil , but not as thick as grease .  I think it has Teflon in suspension ?

Then gun oil or CLP for all the metal for rust prevention .

While you have the bolt out , thoroughly clean the bore and leave a protective coating of oil / CLP if the gun is to be stored .

Put some Johnson Paste Wax on the wood .

God bless
Wyr
Link Posted: 1/10/2010 10:04:28 PM EDT
[#7]
The only time I have seen Marlin rifles jam (several I fixed) was from the screw for the loading gate coming loose.  Tightened her up and good to go.  I would recommend blue loctite on the screw.
Link Posted: 1/11/2010 12:53:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The only time I have seen Marlin rifles jam.....

1) Lifter screw was loose

2) Rounds were loaded too long........or too short

3) Rust in the magazine tube

4) Loading gate screw was loose (Like you said)

5) The timing of the action was messed up (I've seen 3 of the 1894's come from the factory that way!)

6) Lever screw was loose

7) Any of the trigger plate screws were loose

Marlins are WONDERFUL rifles but they WILL shoot loose if you don't keep after the screws.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top