User Panel

Page / 19
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/29/2023 8:36:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: HomeAtLast] [#1]
Nevermind
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 8:41:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Picked this up today for a song. Serial number indicates mid-40's manufacture, .30-30

Attachment Attached File

It's bigger brother- 1895 Guide Gun 45-70:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 9:07:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Big Boy X in 357.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/17/2023 9:57:05 AM EDT
[#4]

Trapper and sbl finished up…
Link Posted: 2/21/2023 1:55:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4FishLimit] [#5]
18 months ago I took possession of my great-great-grandfather’s Marlin 1893 in .30-30. Serial puts manufacture date in 1902. It’s been handed down to the oldest son from each generation since.

Initially I simply gave the barrel a quick scrub and wiped the metal down with some Birchwood Casey Barricade. The bore was fairly dark and the rifling wasn’t too sharp, but there wasn’t really any signs of pitting, I figured there may just be some funk dried in the barrel.

Finally decided to take it out and put a few rounds through it to see if that would help clean out the barrel a bit. Since I wasn’t super concerned about judging accuracy I didn’t bring a paper target along to check groups.

While not the ultimate test of accuracy I didn’t have any problems knocking the center out of a couple clay pigeons at 35 yards:

More importantly generation number 6 got some time behind the trigger with it:

Obligatory OP picture:

Fortunately it looks like I was right, the barrel had some junk that’s dried up in it over the years. The rifling looks much sharper and the bore is brighter.

I’ll plug the end of the barrel and pour some Hoppe’s down it and let it sit for a couple hours to let it do its thing. After that I’ll tear it down best I can and give the action and trigger a good cleaning.

The exterior finish is pretty much gone and has a healthy amount of rust frost, but no serious pitting. I may have it refinished and have someone go through the action and replace anything that’s worn. I don’t see myself putting a lot of rounds through it but I want it to be functional and ready to hand down to the next 5 generations.
Link Posted: 2/21/2023 7:56:51 PM EDT
[#6]
18 round high capacity assault lever

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/21/2023 8:17:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RO73] [#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 4FishLimit:
18 months ago I took possession of my great-great-grandfather’s Marlin 1893 in .30-30. Serial puts manufacture date in 1902. It’s been handed down to the oldest son from each generation since.

Initially I simply gave the barrel a quick scrub and wiped the metal down with some Birchwood Casey Barricade. The bore was fairly dark and the rifling wasn’t too sharp, but there wasn’t really any signs of pitting, I figured there may just be some funk dried in the barrel.

Finally decided to take it out and put a few rounds through it to see if that would help clean out the barrel a bit. Since I wasn’t super concerned about judging accuracy I didn’t bring a paper target along to check groups.

While not the ultimate test of accuracy I didn’t have any problems knocking the center out of a couple clay pigeons at 35 yards:

https://i.imgur.com/KQIcZWy.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/WLTqrLD.jpg

Obligatory OP picture:

https://i.imgur.com/9bE1s3O.jpg

Fortunately it looks like I was right, the barrel had some junk that’s dried up in it over the years. The rifling looks much sharper and the bore is brighter.

I’ll plug the end of the barrel and pour some Hoppe’s down it and let it sit for a couple hours to let it do its thing. After that I’ll tear it down best I can and give the action and trigger a good cleaning.

The exterior finish is pretty much gone and has a healthy amount of rust frost, but no serious pitting. I may have it refinished and have someone go through the action and replace anything that’s worn. I don’t see myself putting a lot of rounds through it but I want it to be functional and ready to hand down to the next 5 generations.
View Quote

@4FishLimit   Sounds like a fantastic family outing. I would clean it up and leave the finish alone. The patina was earned and in my opinion, should remain as is.
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 12:33:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4FishLimit] [#8]
Originally Posted By RO73:

@4FishLimit   Sounds like a fantastic family outing. I would clean it up and leave the finish alone. The patina was earned and in my opinion, should remain as is.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RO73:
Originally Posted By 4FishLimit:

https://i.imgur.com/KQIcZWy.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/WLTqrLD.jpg

Obligatory OP picture:

https://i.imgur.com/9bE1s3O.jpg

@R073

I’m 50/50 on the exterior refinish, but still leaning that way. Virtually all of of the original finish is gone, while there’s very little pitting the exterior is well frosted from rust. The ultimate goal is keep the metal from getting pitted.

That barrel did clean up decently, and while it is also frosted the rifling is fairly sharp and the bore brightened up a bit as well. The muzzle doesn’t swallow a .308 bullet, so it appears to have some life left in it.

I ended up plugging the muzzle, filling with Hoppe’s #9 from the chamber end and let it soak for a few hours, then drained, brushed and patched.

After that I plugged the barrel again, filled with Hoppe’s foaming bore cleaner and let sit for a couple more hours.

The patch that plugged the barrel was bright blue from all the copper getting dissolved out of the bore. Ran patches down the barrel until they came out dry, but there’s still a decent amount of gunk in there, so I’ll run a few #9 soaked patches through it again and see if I can flush a little more out of it.

I’ll take it out to the range again and run a box of ammo through it and see how it groups at 50 on paper. I may run a little bore paste or polish through it after that depending on how much much copper builds up in the barrel.
Link Posted: 3/25/2023 8:04:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: centrarchidae] [#9]
Attachment Attached File

New (to me) JM-marked 1895SS. 45-70 on her first day out with the family. I hope she hits as hard in front of the gun as she does behind it.
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 10:16:41 PM EDT
[#10]

Link Posted: 6/10/2023 11:42:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Henry 38/357 carbine I built for a customer... Threaded the barrel, cut the mag tube cap back about 1/8" to clear the suppressor cap, installed the Chisel buttstock and Ranger Point handguards.

Link Posted: 6/13/2023 7:39:28 PM EDT
[#12]
New Marlin 1895 trapper came in

Untitled by Adam C, on Flickr" />
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 10:05:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Winchester 1873 Comp. Carbine; .45 colt.

Link Posted: 6/18/2023 1:06:38 AM EDT
[#14]
New piece arrived, 1892 takedown in .45 long colt. Packs into a very nice package, the 16" barrel swings and points well.

The lockup between halves is insanely tight, even after oiling and working it quite a bit.

I was hoping for a range trip tomorrow but have to head out of town instead.

Link Posted: 6/25/2023 12:23:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Attachment Attached File

This 1971 Winchester '94 followed me home.
Link Posted: 6/29/2023 7:46:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By cubie:
https://i.imgur.com/rAEcW8Y.jpg
View Quote

The stock on that first rile is fire!! ...btw, who makes the knife??
Link Posted: 7/18/2023 11:39:29 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By wookie1562:
New piece arrived, 1892 takedown in .45 long colt. Packs into a very nice package, the 16" barrel swings and points well.

The lockup between halves is insanely tight, even after oiling and working it quite a bit.

https://i.imgur.com/2FTWC6L.png

View Quote

I noticed on the magazine tube there appears to be spiral marks (presumably from removing the magazine tube).  Is this a permanent upset of the bluing?  Or is it just the oil and the lighting?

I know every item I disassemble a gun with a magazine tube, if I’m not careful you can scratch the tube.

I’d hope Miroku took special effort to polish the inside of the magazine hangers as to make sure it didn’t scratch given the fact this will be done hundreds of times.

I’ve been eyeing this exact gun in .357 (seem to be available now for about ($2100) and wanted to know how the wear is when breaking down.

I love the idea of takedowns, but unless done right, they can become weakened.  My rule of thumb is never break them down u ness absolutely necessary.
Link Posted: 7/18/2023 12:04:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By azscooby:

I noticed on the magazine tube there appears to be spiral marks (presumably from removing the magazine tube).  Is this a permanent upset of the bluing?  Or is it just the oil and the lighting?

I know every item I disassemble a gun with a magazine tube, if I'm not careful you can scratch the tube.

I'd hope Miroku took special effort to polish the inside of the magazine hangers as to make sure it didn't scratch given the fact this will be done hundreds of times.

I've been eyeing this exact gun in .357 (seem to be available now for about ($2100) and wanted to know how the wear is when breaking down.

I love the idea of takedowns, but unless done right, they can become weakened.  My rule of thumb is never break them down u ness absolutely necessary.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By azscooby:
Originally Posted By wookie1562:

https://i.imgur.com/2FTWC6L.png

I know every item I disassemble a gun with a magazine tube, if I'm not careful you can scratch the tube.

I'd hope Miroku took special effort to polish the inside of the magazine hangers as to make sure it didn't scratch given the fact this will be done hundreds of times.

I've been eyeing this exact gun in .357 (seem to be available now for about ($2100) and wanted to know how the wear is when breaking down.

Yes that is unfortunately permanent marking on the mag tube. It has to be unthreaded 5 turns to accommodate disassembly. When I first got the gun the tube and front half were unbelievably tight to take down. That's resolved with some use.
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 9:30:05 PM EDT
[#19]
I don't think i ever posted pictures after putting the new scope on it.

My 444p  

Link Posted: 8/25/2023 8:46:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 2:45:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Added a youth 336 last week, shown with my dads 336 30-30 I got from him back in 19.

Link Posted: 11/9/2023 3:42:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Str8shot_1985:
Added a youth 336 last week, shown with my dads 336 30-30 I got from him back in 19.

https://i.ibb.co/yn9bLpr/IMG-1634.jpg

View Quote

Very nice! I’ve been looking for a 336Y for my son.

Link Posted: 11/11/2023 1:18:53 PM EDT
[#23]
My only two lever guns; a 50 year old Winchester .30-30 and a 60 year old Mossberg Palomino that belonged to my grandfather.

I really hope to add a 16” .30-30 soon.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 6:48:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 3:28:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 3:49:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Combat_Diver] [#26]
Originally Posted By Tirador223:
https://i.imgur.com/Q4wQppfh.jpg
View Quote

Beautiful 73' rifle.  Cal?

Link Posted: 2/6/2024 6:40:24 PM EDT
[#27]
JM stamped Marlin 1894 in .44 magnum:

Link Posted: 2/16/2024 9:20:30 AM EDT
[#28]
Many years ago while raising my family I had to sell my first high powered rifle (Winchester Model 88 in .308) as financial needs of my family were more important.  Over the years I often thought about that rifle and thought someday I'll replace it.  Well after many years someday has arrived as I found a Model 88 in great condition manufactured in 1967.

I added an EGW picatinny rail and a Bushnell 3x9x40 Elite scope that I had in inventory.

Winchester Model 88 Lever Action

Additional Pictures
Link Posted: 2/16/2024 7:22:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dangus] [#29]
I have a problem with accumulating guns faster than I can shoot them, so I've got a bit of a backlog.  Picked this 20" Rossi .357 up at the first of 2023 (literally, New Years day gun show) and just got it out to shoot last weekend.  

I typically opt for peeps on my leverguns, but I decided to give the buckhorns a try on this one.  I was consistently pinging an 8" plate at 60 yards out of the box with zero adjustment to the sights.  Calling this one good.

(Pretty sure I refinished the wood not long after buying this.)

Link Posted: 3/9/2024 11:23:08 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 2:53:21 PM EDT
[#31]
Page / 19
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top