BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/30/2017 4:01:00 PM EDT
Here is my setup:

Cisco Switch
Camera 1
Camera 2
IR light possibility?

I am trying figure out if this will work with a dedicated Cat5E cable running to each flood light?  My switch supports POE and POE+ on all ports.

Any help would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 4:05:31 PM EDT
[#1]
That should work just fine. You can also get whats called a POE splitter which will take the 48v POE and bring it down to 12/9/5v (some are selectable). Here's one I've used to run a rapberry pi using POE. They will work over a standard cat5e cable.

Amazon Product
  • IEEE 802.3af compliant
  • Deliver power up to about 328.1 feet(100 meters)
  • Gigabit Ethernet ports

ETA - One thing to be careful of is that the switches have a maximum power output as a whole. You might have a 24 port POE switch and POE is generally 15.4 watts out. But the switch's power supply is not up to supplying all ports with that much power at once. Look at your switch specs to be sure.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 4:19:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That should work just fine. You can also get whats called a POE splitter which will take the 48v POE and bring it down to 12/9/5v (some are selectable). Here's one I've used to run a rapberry pi using POE. They will work over a standard cat5e cable.

www.amazon.com/dp/B003CFATQKETA - One thing to be careful of is that the switches have a maximum power output as a whole. You might have a 24 port POE switch and POE is generally 15.4 watts out. But the switch's power supply is not up to supplying all ports with that much power at once. Look at your switch specs to be sure.
View Quote
That is a good point about the switch.  Mine will support the 802.3at PoE+ and 802.3af standards up to 192 watts of total power consumption in any configuration (up to 30 watts per port) so that shouldn't be a huge issue.  Currently I have 6 cameras and an AP on it and all in at night with the IR on the switch draws 53 watts according to my UPS.

Voltage is the one thing that I am confused on.  If I understand the specs of that flood light then it needs 24V so I need to figure out how to get the switches 48V down to 24V correct?
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 6:20:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

That is a good point about the switch.  Mine will support the 802.3at PoE+ and 802.3af standards up to 192 watts of total power consumption in any configuration (up to 30 watts per port) so that shouldn't be a huge issue.  Currently I have 6 cameras and an AP on it and all in at night with the IR on the switch draws 53 watts according to my UPS.

Voltage is the one thing that I am confused on.  If I understand the specs of that flood light then it needs 24V so I need to figure out how to get the switches 48V down to 24V correct?
View Quote
No. You can not adjust the voltage at the switch as 48v is the POE standard. Looking at the light description it has a POE splitter built in that handles that. Or you find a POE splitter that will get you 24v output.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 6:22:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Double post
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 6:28:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 8:31:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I have seen PoE-powered IR illuminators, but they were extremely pricey, and the power limitations of PoE prevent them from performing as well as a conventionally-powered 12v/24v illuminator.

Some of my larger illuminator panels suck down 60 watts each.  You're not powering that with a PoE switch of ANY brand.  
View Quote
Not a switch, but a injector can push that wattage.  This Cisco injector can run 80w at 56v but its for a specific application.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top