Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/18/2017 1:57:05 PM EDT
so my drive is 1/4 with a bend in the middle. what's the best to get? right now i have the wireless motion ones that work pretty good range wise but they trigger from wind an animals all the time.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 2:10:57 PM EDT
[#1]
This is relevant to my interests.  This morning, I woke up to a strange truck at the bottom of my 200 yard driveway right next to my house.  Turns out it was a substitute newspaper delivery guy that didn't realize he should drop the paper at the top of the drive.  

I really want a good driveway alarm.  I have read about the Dakotas before but never pulled the trigger.

Hoping to get some new ideas.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 3:03:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Dakota alert MURS driveway alarm

It uses a 1 or 2 watt transmitter on the MURS VHF band which gives it great range. It's 1/3 mile away with a small hill between from my house. Expensive. Uses 4x 123a batteries. The sensor probe has alot of sensitivey so it picks up cars pretty far away. Bury it next to the driveway and turn the sensitivity way down. Lightning will set off the alarm sometimes as will power lines if nearby and the power flickers. Turning down. The sensitivity helps if you can do that. Usually go through 3 sets of batteries a year on a busy driveway.

I have a motion detector for it too but don't use it. I haven't taken the time to calibrate it and even the wind blowing can set it off.

If you want you can just get the transmitter and something like a cheap baofeng ham radio will pick it up when turned to the right frequency instead of ordering it with the base station. That way to can take the radio portable if you want when outside. Or have on in the house and one portable.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 8:25:21 AM EDT
[#3]
I have the Dakota MURS as well and I'm satisfied with it. We have a 1/4 mile driveway with the alarm about 50 yards in. I had it at the end for awhile but it was surprising at how many people pull just into our driveway to turn around.

I have the probe on the side of the driveway and it doesn't pick up ATVs if they are on the opposite side.

I did get wakened at 3AM a couple nights ago with a large truck stopped by the house. Turned out it was the power company checking the line. We had power after the previous nights storm but it went off at some point during the night. I'm using the Dakota base station which plugs into the wall.

I do have a couple Baofengs and intended to program them to MURS to be able to talk to the base station but hadn't gotten around to it. I guess I need to either get backup power for the base station or have a Baofeng on all the time.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 8:54:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Dakota alert MURS
View Quote
Got the older version of this a while back for my parents, works well.
The 9v battery needs to be replaced about every 3-4 months, not sure how long the newer CR123 ones would last in that case.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 8:59:42 AM EDT
[#5]
I've had one of these for 4 years now.

Works pretty well.  The sensor faces a wooded area, and when it is very windy, it does get some false hits from branches blowing.

Mine takes AAs, so I put in Energizer Lithium Ions in it.  It gets heavy use, and the batteries have lasted 4 years so far.

Would recommend.   Supposed to reach up to 1/2 mile, but I've not tested it that far.

Amazon Product
  • Set includes one base receiver and one sensor (ability to additional CWPIR sensors-Sold Separately)
  • Passive infrared (PIR) sensor is weatherproof and detects motion up to 30ft away and features adjustable sensitivity
  • Base receiver detects signals from sensors up to a 1/2 mile away (in ideal situations)

Link Posted: 7/14/2017 10:11:48 AM EDT
[#6]
If you're not opposed to wiring..

Check this system out.

I have installed dozens of these over the last 20 years i have been in the security industry.
The longest was on a 3/4 mile driveway.

Never have a bit of trouble with any of them. But be aware, they need to sense the metal from a vehicle as opposed to motion based systems.
So if someone rides a bicycle or walks down the driveway, you'll not get an alert.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 1:24:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
If you're not opposed to wiring..

Check this system out.

I have installed dozens of these over the last 20 years i have been in the security industry.
The longest was on a 3/4 mile driveway.

Never have a bit of trouble with any of them. But be aware, they need to sense the metal from a vehicle as opposed to motion based systems.
So if someone rides a bicycle or walks down the driveway, you'll not get an alert.
View Quote
I'd have to dig a trench 1/4mile? or just burry the probe?
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 1:25:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I've had one of these for 4 years now.

Works pretty well.  The sensor faces a wooded area, and when it is very windy, it does get some false hits from branches blowing.

Mine takes AAs, so I put in Energizer Lithium Ions in it.  It gets heavy use, and the batteries have lasted 4 years so far.

Would recommend.   Supposed to reach up to 1/2 mile, but I've not tested it that far.

www.amazon.com/dp/B002ISVJL6
View Quote
that is what I have right now. Lots of false alarms and too many animals on my property. If a car drives by too fast it does not go off too. it does pick up all critters 4 and 2 legged good though. I want to keep it and have another better one for cars
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 1:45:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Got the older version of this a while back for my parents, works well.
The 9v battery needs to be replaced about every 3-4 months, not sure how long the newer CR123 ones would last in that case.
View Quote
I have a very busy driveway and replace them 2-3 times a year.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 9:40:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I'd have to dig a trench 1/4mile? or just burry the probe?
View Quote
The probe and wire get buried.

But you can just lift the sod for the wire. The probe should be just a bit deeper.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 9:48:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Mine is only a few hundred feet but my dad's is a quarter mile through very thick bush (coastal South Carolinas)
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 5:35:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Bought THIS piece of crap and have spent 3 days trying to get it to work...avoid it
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 4:56:25 PM EDT
[#13]
I am not trying to be facetious, but like you I have a quarter-mile long driveway from the front gate to the house (there's another quarter-mile of county road between the turn-off any the front gate).  I've tried wired and wireless systems, but the best, most reliable, non-falsing, alarm system I have ever had has been a dog.

The dog would alert me that someone was coming at least three minutes before I could hear their tires on the gravel and I could hear the noise of the tires well before the electronic alarm detected them passing over the cattle guard.  Plus, the dog would come find me where ever I was on the property even if I was out of earshot of the electronic alarm.

Plus, if you train it right, a dog will give you unconditional love and you can't get that from an electronic device - although I read an article yesterday saying that there now robotic prostitutes that will try.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 11:16:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Good info, I'm interested in this.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 4:14:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Bought THIS piece of crap and have spent 3 days trying to get it to work...avoid it
View Quote
LOL, I'm on my 3rd unit and have thrown in the towel. Piece of crap is being nice. Looking at the Dakota.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 8:12:05 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
For the Dakota MURS with magnetic probe I'm going through a set of CR123s about every 3-4 months. I ran across a hack that converts it to a 12v with a solar trickle charger, it's on the to do list.

The magnetic probe does pick up Amish buggies if that's of use to anyone,  ha.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 10:04:56 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

For the Dakota MURS with magnetic probe I'm going through a set of CR123s about every 3-4 months. I ran across a hack that converts it to a 12v with a solar trickle charger, it's on the to do list.

View Quote
I'd had to turn the sensitivity so far down on mine because it was picking up vehicles more than 25ft away. Its about that far from above ground power lines and a power blip will set it off. Lightning was driving it crazy until i turned down the sensitivity. Now only strong lightning does it.
Link Posted: 11/26/2017 11:43:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I'd had to turn the sensitivity so far down on mine because it was picking up vehicles more than 25ft away. Its about that far from above ground power lines and a power blip will set it off. Lightning was driving it crazy until i turned down the sensitivity. Now only strong lightning does it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

it this one much better than the mighty mule alarm? I need something that works ok.
Link Posted: 11/27/2017 11:16:19 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
it this one much better than the mighty mule alarm? I need something that works ok.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The mighty mule alarm says it works 400ft away so I'm going to assume they are using a 433mhz signal or something close to that which has limited transmit power. I've never used one so I can't comment.

The dakota alert MURS transmits around 150MHZ at 1 watt. MY alarm is 1400ft away and there is a small hill in the way and it comes through. It should be able to work at greater distance based on my ham radio experience. The nice thing about this alarm is it just transmits an analog voice signal so you can buy a cheap $30 hand held ham radio to receive the alerts and have multiple and portable receivers if you are out walking around or want one in the kitchen and the bed room.
Link Posted: 11/29/2017 9:50:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
The mighty mule alarm says it works 400ft away so I'm going to assume they are using a 433mhz signal or something close to that which has limited transmit power. I've never used one so I can't comment.

The dakota alert MURS transmits around 150MHZ at 1 watt. MY alarm is 1400ft away and there is a small hill in the way and it comes through. It should be able to work at greater distance based on my ham radio experience. The nice thing about this alarm is it just transmits an analog voice signal so you can buy a cheap $30 hand held ham radio to receive the alerts and have multiple and portable receivers if you are out walking around or want one in the kitchen and the bed room.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

thanks much! where is the best place to buy? I found online but it's around $300. is that the correct cost? If so I will suck it up and get it. thanks
Link Posted: 11/29/2017 10:45:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

thanks much! where is the best place to buy? I found online but it's around $300. is that the correct cost? If so I will suck it up and get it. thanks
View Quote
Yup thats about the price of it. Been a few years since I got mine.
Link Posted: 11/29/2017 10:52:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Dakota alert all the way. I got mine from Amazon which had the best price. Had 4 of the spread out over a farm I lived on for a couple years.

Parents have used one for what seems like 10 years. No complaints.
Link Posted: 11/30/2017 9:09:41 AM EDT
[#23]
IIRC, one of our staff members on arfcom sells the Dakota alert on his website. I saw one listed in the Survival Equipment section of the EE a while back... I also recall the price was quite competitive and his "kits" came with a base station PLUS a handie-talkie that you could take with you out and about (within range) and still monitor traffic.
Link Posted: 11/30/2017 9:20:02 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
IIRC, one of our staff members on arfcom sells the Dakota alert on his website. I saw one listed in the Survival Equipment section of the EE a while back... I also recall the price was quite competitive and his "kits" came with a base station PLUS a handie-talkie that you could take with you out and about (within range) and still monitor traffic.
View Quote
JRH Enterprises
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top