Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/6/2017 3:02:29 PM EDT
...what would you do?

If your neighborhood that you live in has a single entrance with a 12ft metal pole that currently has outdated cameras/license plate cameras installed - what would you upgrade to, look for, add on, or etc?

For shits, let's say the current system has two wide-view cameras facing in both directions at the very tops of the pole (facing in and out of the neighborhood) and two 'license plate cameras' about 3ft down from the top of the pole facing both directions of traffic as well.

This pole is wired with power and has a cable run to a DVR box in a guard gate substation down the road, but could also have a new armored box installed at the pole to have GSM data or etc for phone app access.

How would you 'overhaul' this system?
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 3:25:50 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd move
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 3:33:40 PM EDT
[#2]
New NVR,  Verizon MIFI, at least two 4MP domes, two pan/tilt/zoom as well. Plate readers would be good as well. A couple batteries and solar charger for back up power. Nellys has what you need.
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 12:21:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'd move
View Quote
lol...it's the best and most premier neighborhood within the entire region of the state. these are precautionary and have not needed to be used yet...but you never know.
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 8:55:45 AM EDT
[#4]
I'd still move.  What happens when you have someone jump theh fence or wall ten feet down from the cameras?  They Walk thru and break in wherever they want.....
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 7:42:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I'd still move.  What happens when you have someone jump theh fence or wall ten feet down from the cameras?  They Walk thru and break in wherever they want.....
View Quote
They won't be able to carry much on foot. Then they have to jump the wall with their loot. I don't live in such a neighborhood but would not mind
something a little more simpler looking up/down my 200' driveway when I am not there.
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 9:49:55 AM EDT
[#6]
OK so besides the dumbass comments about moving from a million dollar neighborhood -

Looks like we will be using the existing 12ft metal pole

Current system is analog with BNC connectors over coax going to the TVR with two analog 480P wide view cams, two analog license plate cams, and one analog pole security camera covering a blind spot

Will be moving to a TVI system with two available PoE ports if we need. TVI is being recommended over a complete PoE system - which is kind of nice because we can keep our two license plate cameras on the TVI system to save some money.

The two analog wide view cameras will be changed to two 4MP TVI HD cameras with 5x50mm varifocal lenses and armored casings, and the pole security camera will be upgraded to a 4MP as well with an additional one added for another sidewalk near the pole.

Looks like this will work for our needs as the analog license plate camera is still picking up numbers and letters well and that's all they need to do.
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 10:14:05 AM EDT
[#7]
If vehicle ID is your goal sounds fine, problem with putting a person driving the vehicle.

A camera mounted lower and pointed correctly would do a lot for "proving" someone was driving a vehicle.

Walmart had this problem for years with their store entrances, cutting edge cameras that show people wearing ballcaps, then they put cameras at entrances, at eye level and pointed horizontally, prosecution rates went up bigly.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 2:52:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
I don't get it, cameras are another added layer of deterrent.  I just put them on my house.
So your logic is to move to a place with no cameras?    .
Might as well dump your alarm system and door locks too while you're at it.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 11:21:23 PM EDT
[#9]
The whole thing seems kind of strange to me. Protecting a million dollar neighborhood and saving money on cameras are two very different things. Sounds like they need to take this stuff more seriousely.

My father in law lives in a neighborhood with million dollar homes. They have a guard gate manned 24x7x365 as well as tons of cameras. They also pay the local city cops to drive through there regularly.

Anyway, if I were doing it there would be at least eight IP cameras with a server located somewhere else recording everything. You will want to review the lighting situation as well. And, aside from license plates you want to capture the drivers face if possible. Is there a gate?
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 11:41:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 12:05:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'd move
View Quote
Once I hear that my neighborhood would need cameras I would be AGGRESSIVELY planning to move.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 12:09:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

lol...it's the best and most premier neighborhood within the entire region of the state. these are precautionary and have not needed to be used yet...but you never know.
View Quote
LOL Why are you fixated on upgrading the inferior Orwellian System?????
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 12:52:06 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Once I hear that my neighborhood would need cameras I would be AGGRESSIVELY planning to move.
View Quote
I don't think they need cameras. I think they are being responsible by having cameras.

I don't actually need a gun safe but I sleep better at night having it.

Better safe than sorry as they say.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 1:01:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Million-dollar neighborhood?

Grew up in/near one of those, fucking hated every moment of it and could not bear the people.

GBRSE.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 8:01:12 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 5:00:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Grew up in/near one of those, fucking hated every moment of it and could not bear the people.

GBRSE.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

GBRSE.
Guess someone chose poorly, we love ours.

Quoted:
The whole thing seems kind of strange to me. Protecting a million dollar neighborhood and saving money on cameras are two very different things. Sounds like they need to take this stuff more seriousely.

My father in law lives in a neighborhood with million dollar homes. They have a guard gate manned 24x7x365 as well as tons of cameras. They also pay the local city cops to drive through there regularly.

Anyway, if I were doing it there would be at least eight IP cameras with a server located somewhere else recording everything. You will want to review the lighting situation as well. And, aside from license plates you want to capture the drivers face if possible. Is there a gate?
We have a duty to save the home owners money if we can and keep money in our HOA fund for emergencies and other repairs around the neighborhood. It's not just cameras that the HOA dues pay for...landscaping, the lake dock, tree pruning of very old trees, etc. Plus paying the off-duty officers.

And yes, we do pay the sheriff's office for off-duty officers at varying schedules during the day, year round. Unfortunately they like playing on their laptops and cannot be everywhere at once, or here 24/7.

And no we cannot have a guard gate as the community was built on county roads which are free to be traversed by car traffic, we can't gate it.

Quoted:
You're on the right track.  TVI and CVI are good methods to retrofit an existing camera install, without having to run all new cable (which is painful, and expensive).   You'll get much higher resolution, and have a nice, updated system.

The only problem with TVI and CVI is that they tend to be proprietary, so you'll be locked into that vendor/manufacturer for the future.  

But if it works, I wouldn't argue with it.
We're getting a quote to retrofit the system with POE cameras as well - or to go with a 'hybrid' NVR that has TVI and POE ports.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 5:39:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top