Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/9/2017 7:46:01 PM EDT
Hello again folks

I have been reading about safe stats for a very long time, and do not feel any nearer to a conclusion. I need a safe that will hold 24 long arms (future planning) with a realistic mix of m4s and precision rifles, milsurps, etc. I've come to the conclusion that while a Amsec BF6636 looks like the smartest move, I can't justify $5k for the same gauge steel as cheaper safes, especially with a kiddo on the way. I'm currently suffering from analysis paralysis.

What's the best I can do in that price range and that space need? It will be stored in a garage, and we currently leave less than a mile from a fire department (though a little fire protection would be good should we move further away).
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 8:26:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Sturdy Safes. 
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 8:35:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Is the garage safe?  Or is it open?
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 9:06:10 PM EDT
[#3]
It is an attached garage with electronic garage door in the suburbs.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 9:59:55 PM EDT
[#4]
What I've come to realize is that it's foolish to spend 80%+ of your budget on a gun safe just to increase the thickness of the steel, fireproofing, etc. Just as long as it's strong enough to resist smash and grabs and still store twice as many guns as you own now. Invest all the other stuff into layered security. The extra $3000 you spend on a safe could have been used for alarms, sensors, cameras, AND insurance. Stuff that can increase the security of your entire home.

Oh... and don't brag or blather to people you don't trust.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 10:29:07 PM EDT
[#5]
I was in your position this last winter and came here for advise.  Someone mentioned refurbished commercial safes so I looked into them and I'm glad I did.  I got a Schwab that's probably older than most the readers here.  Inside dimensions were 34" X 63" X 15".  It has double doors for a nice wide access, a Class B UL fire rating, and a re-locking device.  
      I paid $2k which included delivery , moving it into place, and a new dial set to my choice of combo.   It was just empty space inside but with an afternoon, a buddy's help, and a twelve pack I have a custom interior that fits my guns specifically.  
      I doubt you have a 30 year safe guy with a dairy barn show room 40 miles from your house like I lucked in to.  But it's worth a Google search.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 8:43:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What I've come to realize is that it's foolish to spend 80%+ of your budget on a gun safe just to increase the thickness of the steel, fireproofing, etc. Just as long as it's strong enough to resist smash and grabs and still store twice as many guns as you own now. Invest all the other stuff into layered security. The extra $3000 you spend on a safe could have been used for alarms, sensors, cameras, AND insurance. Stuff that can increase the security of your entire home.

View Quote
Having spent a decent chunk of change on my safe, and looking back, I agree with you, to a degree. I personally wouldn't change the fact that I got my safe, it is nice knowing when I leave for the day, every item in there, will be in there when I return.

I couldn't say the same thing about a RSC. Even with layers, locks, cameras, etc etc, 2-3 guys could be in and out, with your entire safe, before the police could arrive. I know for a fact, it doesn't matter how many guys come, and with what equipment, they wouldn't be moving my safe without hours of work, and tons of specialized, heavy equipment.

That being said, my safe holds valuables that are irreplaceable, and if lost, stolen, or destroyed, would be horrible. But with all that, my next safe will likely be a $600 Cannon where all my replaceables go, and my valuable stuff stays in the TL.

ETA: To the OP, if I was in your same position, unless I had stuff that was absolutely irreplaceable, I would get a Cannon. As mentioned it'll stop most quick thieves, and if paired with a security system, should stop anyone who doesn't intend on getting into it before coming onto your property. Leave the garage door shut, or have something to cover most of the safe with when the doors are open. Don't advertise you have a safe, or it could make you a target.

Store all heavy tools, especially cutting tools, in a separate locked box (job boxes are great and relatively cheap). Don't leave out Sawzalls, sledgehammers, crowbars over 12", etc etc. Common sense stuff.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 9:06:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Someone mentioned refurbished commercial safes so I looked into them and I'm glad I did.
View Quote
That'd be my suggestion as well.  I picked up a Worldwide WW-653622 from a jewelry store that was closing, for about your budget.  Well, for about your stated budget for the safe itself.  Moving, and putting in the interior, added a bit.  But you don't need that big of a safe, either.  Check out Craigslist and eBay, and also see if there's a safe tech in the area you can ask.  If you're willing to spend that much, the odds are good that you can get a real safe for the money.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 9:13:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
Thanks for the reply! That is very good advice. I will soon be looking into security and camera systems as well, which is no less overwhelming. I'd like to be able to afford a decent system.

Do you guys think a Liberty Fatboy is a reasonable compromise in that price range?
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 9:14:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I was in your position this last winter and came here for advise.  Someone mentioned refurbished commercial safes so I looked into them and I'm glad I did.  I got a Schwab that's probably older than most the readers here.  Inside dimensions were 34" X 63" X 15".  It has double doors for a nice wide access, a Class B UL fire rating, and a re-locking device.  
      I paid $2k which included delivery , moving it into place, and a new dial set to my choice of combo.   It was just empty space inside but with an afternoon, a buddy's help, and a twelve pack I have a custom interior that fits my guns specifically.  
      I doubt you have a 30 year safe guy with a dairy barn show room 40 miles from your house like I lucked in to.  But it's worth a Google search.
View Quote
Thanks, I have actually been looking into that! I've been scared off a few times since I don't know how to vet out the qualities of these old units. But I'll keep on the trail.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 9:15:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Having spent a decent chunk of change on my safe, and looking back, I agree with you, to a degree. I personally wouldn't change the fact that I got my safe, it is nice knowing when I leave for the day, every item in there, will be in there when I return.

I couldn't say the same thing about a RSC. Even with layers, locks, cameras, etc etc, 2-3 guys could be in and out, with your entire safe, before the police could arrive. I know for a fact, it doesn't matter how many guys come, and with what equipment, they wouldn't be moving my safe without hours of work, and tons of specialized, heavy equipment.

That being said, my safe holds valuables that are irreplaceable, and if lost, stolen, or destroyed, would be horrible. But with all that, my next safe will likely be a $600 Cannon where all my replaceables go, and my valuable stuff stays in the TL.

ETA: To the OP, if I was in your same position, unless I had stuff that was absolutely irreplaceable, I would get a Cannon. As mentioned it'll stop most quick thieves, and if paired with a security system, should stop anyone who doesn't intend on getting into it before coming onto your property. Leave the garage door shut, or have something to cover most of the safe with when the doors are open. Don't advertise you have a safe, or it could make you a target.

Store all heavy tools, especially cutting tools, in a separate locked box (job boxes are great and relatively cheap). Don't leave out Sawzalls, sledgehammers, crowbars over 12", etc etc. Common sense stuff.
View Quote

Thanks for the advice! Going to pick up a couple of job boxes for this purpose. I have loose tools on the garage.

I wish I could justify a TL rated unit at this time! It's a shame they're so cost prohibitive.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 3:08:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Thanks for the advice! Going to pick up a couple of job boxes for this purpose. I have loose tools on the garage.

I wish I could justify a TL rated unit at this time! It's a shame they're so cost prohibitive.
View Quote
Check eBay (make sure to tick the sorting bar as "Closest") and Craigslist. If you live near a larger city, they pop up ALL the time. I am right between NY and Philly, I saw multiple TLs come up every week, but they were outside of the range I wanted to pay to have them moved. I got lucky and found one at a local jewelry store that was closing.

Finding one used is considerably cheaper than new, simply because people don't want to pay the companies to move them. If you hold out, I bet you could find a TL for a good price.

ETA: I should add for how many rifles you want to store, you might not find one that large, or cost effective. Mine is pretty large, I have roughly 10-15 long guns in it, and room for more (using rifle rods) but I don't think I could fit 24+ in, not without lots of squeezing, and still fit all my handguns.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 3:10:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Don't like the idea of a shiny safe in the garage open to viewing from the street. I've read several times where the garage door is destroyed, chains around the safe and yanked out and the entire safe with its contents hauled off.
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 11:27:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Don't like the idea of a shiny safe in the garage open to viewing from the street. I've read several times where the garage door is destroyed, chains around the safe and yanked out and the entire safe with its contents hauled off.
View Quote
Maybe get pepper spray defense as well if you have the safe in the a garage. Besure you cover the safe or get a zippered cover to disguise your safe or build a wooden storage cabinet around you gun safe in the garage. Be sure you get a dehumidifier or eva-dry as well.

https://www.burglarbomb.com/
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top