Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/3/2017 4:15:05 PM EDT
Hey folks, I finally purchased a gun safe and it finally got delivered. I bought a Liberty Franklin 50, which measures 72.5" H x 42" W x 32"D. The interior is 30.1 Interior Cubic Feet.

The safe is stored inside my home. I have central heat/air, which I maintain around 72* to 74*, but it can range from 64*-74*, depending on if it winter or summer etc.

Anyway, I am not sure if I even need a dehumidifier of some type, but I figured better be safe (no pun intended) than sorry.

The first thing I considered was the 12" Golden Rod as it covers up to 100 Cubic Feet. However, someone mentioned the Remington Model 365 Mini Dehumidifier is a better option since it actually absorbs humidity.

I'd like yalls opinion on this, if you do not mind.

Also, what are yalls thoughts on keeping handguns stored in their hard plastic cases?

Thank you in advance!
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 8:15:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Technically you probably don't need anything if in a climate controlled house (look at any metal objects in your house, screws holding furniture together etc. and unlikely they will be rusty).
Having said that, I would use something.  Goldenrods have a good reputation.  I use two goldenrods plus two of the rechargeable desiccant things.  Can't be too safe if you have blued guns.

Some folks will chime in about humidity being "too low" causing wood stocks to crack, but I don't think this is a reality (otherwise everyone in Nevada/Utah etc. would be having cracked stocks left and right).

One of the Industry partners from a safe manufacturer reports there can be a paradoxical increase in humidity with goldenrods plus desiccants.  Something to look into, but I still use both (rod to increase the dew point, desiccant to actually decrease humidity).

Vapor Phase Emmitters are a consideration also (I use those also ) I use one from HERE

People say open cell foam (in your pistol boxes) can hold water.   I used to store guns in cases with no issues.  If you have the case outside in humidity and put the gun in, could be problem.  If cases have been inside for a while and the air in the case is dry (and gun dry) probably not a problem.  You could always wrap in a silicone sock first, oil it well etc.  I did see a pic on here of a gun that got little sponge marks on it from the foam, based on that I wouldn't keep a valuable, blued gun in foam.

Finally, keep in mind what guns you have.  Stainless/nickel not much of a concern.  most AR's are chrome lined barrels and everything else is parkerized/coated/aluminum so rust not really an issue.  Blued guns are what you need to be concerned with and unlined barrels.  I make sure all those have a light coat of oil on all exposed metal and inside of bore before I put them away.
ETA: for long term storage/guns I rarely shoot I use RIG gun grease to coat the metal. RIG
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 6:18:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Thank you for the reply Soulman! For now, i think I'll throw a Golden rod in there and see how things go.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top