Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/28/2017 6:20:53 PM EDT
I'm storing 2 of my ARs in a safe with other rifles and I've heard if you store your rifles stacked next to each other the barrels bend because the actual barrel rest is too high for my ar15 barrels to reach. So all the rifles are leaned against the wall of the safe with the rifles next to each other. Is this fine?
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 6:31:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Can't be serious. I would be carefully of people you take advise from. The weight of the rifle will bend a barrel? You could get rails that cover the whole barrel so the rail will bend.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 6:33:37 PM EDT
[#2]
I misunderstood, did you mistype and mean you have 200 rifles leaning against each other????
Because that MIGHT bend a barrel, but 2 Really??
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 6:39:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I'm storing 2 of my ARs in a safe with other rifles and I've heard if you store your rifles stacked next to each other the barrels bend because the actual barrel rest is too high for my ar15 barrels to reach. So all the rifles are leaned against the wall of the safe with the rifles next to each other. Is this fine?
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/28/2017 6:40:50 PM EDT
[#4]
If you have your sling too tight it can bend the barrel as well so be careful.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 6:46:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Add extra rest at the correct height, don think they will bend tho.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 6:47:18 PM EDT
[#6]
you should always store your rifles the same way you plan on shooting them, muzzle up for up hill shooting, muzzle down for shooting into valleys or down hill and horizontal for those that shoot on flat ground or from a tree stand 
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 6:48:29 PM EDT
[#7]
You received some bad information.  You will be fine leaning your rifles.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 7:13:38 PM EDT
[#8]
I personally know of a rifle being used as a jack handle with no ill effect
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 7:26:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
Yeah, but how was it stored?
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 7:46:42 PM EDT
[#10]
I would have bet big money this was GD...

Your rifles will be fine OP.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 7:48:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I misunderstood, did you mistype and mean you have 200 rifles leaning against each other????
Because that MIGHT bend a barrel, but 2 Really??
View Quote
They're leaning with 3 other rifles and an sks. They're not mine
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 7:56:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Just compensate to the barrel bend preference DUH....
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 8:19:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
If you have your sling too tight it can bend the barrel as well so be careful.
View Quote
Adjustable sights so it won't matter.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 8:20:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good point, I think that carpeted board f'd it up pretty good.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 9:02:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Most barrels curve a little to the left because of the way they are stored. I like to rotate from side to side every day, and sometimes give em a good straightening with some Slip2000 lube...
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 10:50:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Long term barrel sag is a pretty serious problem, as is shrinkage, in the winter if I don't hang my rifles by the stock to let the barrel hang down, it'll shrink and before I know it I've got a safe full of SBRs. Its probably best to just sell them off and buy again when you have the time to follow a safe rotation schedule (30 degree rotation ever 97 minutes, reversing direction every third Tuesday that falls on an odd day.)

Gotta keep the bore concentric.

No, stuff them in there. The proper way to store firearms is secured and readily accessible to you.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 8:17:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Don't store your fishing poles with the line pulled tight where it bends the top portion of the pole. Eventually it will snap off. I lost two of them that way.

Steel rifle barrels are a different story. If you had one that was 10' foot long it might sag while leaning at an angle but because it's steel it will straighten back up with no harm done. Steel is awesome like that. Aluminum would bend and might stay bent.

So no, because it's think steel and short, it would be very difficult to permanently bend it. But I think you knew that, and were trolling us.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 12:46:04 AM EDT
[#18]
Where did you hear this from?
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 1:05:46 AM EDT
[#19]
Absolutely do not let them lean on each other in the safe.

That's how new rifles are born.

Abstinence works damnit!
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 3:29:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Tough crowd.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 3:34:50 PM EDT
[#21]
There's no way you can store a rifle that'll cause the barrel to bend. I keep guns in my safe muzzle down, it allows you to fit more.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 4:10:13 PM EDT
[#22]
If I extend my buttstock fully out, the end of the barrels reach the support.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 6:12:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Ha ha tough crowd for sure.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 8:21:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Well CRAP! I go to my safe this morning and THIS is what I find!!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top