Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/18/2017 11:00:57 PM EDT
I am researching a good NVR for my home surveillance system and came across the synology NAS option.  Does anyone have experience using this as an NVR?  I know about the licenses needed and I'm OK with that if the software is good and I also plan to use it as a NAS for my home.  

I currently use LTS HD-TVI NVR's at work and absolutely hate the interface.  It's slow, difficult to use compared to the old PC based NVR's I've used with Geovision cards, and not intuitive at all.

I'm going IP cams and POE for my home system and would like to do it right the first time out.  Looking at 8 POE IP exterior cams.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:18:47 AM EDT
[#1]
My parents have a DS1512+ used as an NVR for 6 Vivotek IP cameras.  For their use (24/7 recording instead of motion recording) it works perfectly fine.  The Synology suite of iOS apps (I'm sure they have Android apps too) includes a DS Cam app which is easy to use in my opinion.

They also use the NAS as a VPN server and media server and it has no problem handing everything.
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 12:23:09 AM EDT
[#2]
It's a solid product and is updated frequently.  All of the other NAS functionality has been good to go for a while.

There are pro products for CCTV I like better but they have recently updated the surveillance client software and it is not bad at all.  Mobile app is decent as well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top