Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/14/2017 6:49:36 PM EDT
I did a search on SimpliSafe and didn't see any results with the answers I'm looking for at the moment.

I'm moving into a new place and I'd like to install a monitored security system as well as a camera system with 3-4 cameras.

SimpliSafe is running a special this weekend where they throw in two entry sensors and a glassbreak sensor, so if that's the route I choose to go I'd like to be able to pull the trigger this weekend. It seems like the Fortress systems get poor reviews as an alternative. What options other than SimpliSafe do folks recommend here? Or, is it a good option for the money?

For camera systems, Costco has the Arlo system, and the 7-day cloud storage seems like a decent option. What other options are there?
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 7:24:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Keep in mind with Simply not safe that the user code can be sniffed easily. Further they use proprietary communications format to the central station. If you for any reason do not like their service you must buy a new system as no one but them can monitor it.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 12:04:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Keep in mind with Simply not safe that the user code can be sniffed easily. Further they use proprietary communications format to the central station. If you for any reason do not like their service you must buy a new system as no one but them can monitor it.
View Quote
Interesting, thanks. What would you recommend?
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 10:09:46 AM EDT
[#3]
I've been looking at Alarm Club, in the same boat as you, only moving. Current house has Vector security. Not unhappy with the service, just way to expensive. $40 a month.

Alarm Club lets you buy the equipment yourself, and costs $15 a month to monitor.

As far as the cameras, i'd suggest not having a system monitored by your alarm company or any kind of cloud setup. Costco system is fine, but get one that saves to a local hard drive. Will save much longer stretches of video, better quality, and cheaper in the long run.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 12:03:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Interesting, thanks. What would you recommend?
View Quote
As an owner of an alarm company with our own central station I am biased, but will still say find a good local company that has their own central station. You may pay more, but will have better service in the long run.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 12:46:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Honeywell Vista 20P, DIY it is not hard and a very robust system.  Under $200 would cover most everything you need.

Add an Envisalink module for self monitoring (at no cost to self monitor)

Arlo is a good bonus layer.

ETA - the above system is self monitor but you could pay an alarm company to monitor.

Simply unsafe
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 1:18:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Honeywell Vista 20P, DIY it is not hard and a very robust system.  Under $200 would cover most everything you need.

Add an Envisalink module for self monitoring (at no cost to self monitor)

Arlo is a good bonus layer.

ETA - the above system is self monitor but you could pay an alarm company to monitor.

Simply unsafe
View Quote
That price seems good, but I'm not sure I've got a good spot for a wired panel installation. Are there any wireless systems you could recommend?

I also found a 4 camera Night Owl system at Costco that I'll probably install.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 11:08:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Please contact your insurance company.  Most have relationships with security monitoring companies.  And, often, special pricing is part of their relationship.  USAA has a great relationship with a major security company and this includes good prices.

Before you pull the trigger on another solution, get help from your insurance company.  They are interested because they have a stake in the matter!
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 11:09:36 AM EDT
[#8]
I recommend you read some of the DIY alarm forums, there are several, do a search.  ShieldLab, Livewatch, etc, all have wireless discussions.

The Honeywell Vista 20P has wireless capability for door sensors, motions, etc., but you would have a few wires from the control to keypad, AC obviously to the control panel.

You would need a Honeywell 6160RF Alphanumeric Alarm Keypad with Integrated Transceiver.  If you go wireless the cost jumps but still DIY friendly.

Mounting the control panel in a hall closet and the keypad through the wall in a hallway would be simple if you could solve the A/C in the closet issue.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 4:17:31 PM EDT
[#9]
If you want to go wireless either use the DMP XTL plus or the Honeywell Lynx. The DMP can be bought through an authorized dealer and has unbeatable security as the base unit is separate from the keypad which is wireless.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 5:33:15 AM EDT
[#10]
The problem with any system you get is what you want to do, will you use it and understanding its limits.

For a monitored service Id suggest something wired if you can find someone who will do it so its discreet and wont break your bank. Otherwise you'll end up spending money on Cr2 and CR123 batteries until the end of time (not to mention wearing our or breaking sensors. Also the wireless sensors can really suck in some homes. Unfortunately you wont know till you try them.

Also make sure if you put sensors on a door make sure when its closed its solid. I learned that the hard way. The wind blowing against the door is enough to trigger it. Glass break sensors can also be triggered by glass clanking .

I have my alarm(panel, modem and router) and cameras all connected to an UPS system as well as the system itself has a 24hr battery back up as well as a cell backup just for monitoring. I used to work in the home security dept of a major provider so if you have any questions I can let you know the most common bitches and gripes.

The issue I now have myself that I mentioned in another thread is I did have a break in last night and the photos from my urgent system were not very good. I'm guessing this will be the case with most big providers (I could be wrong) so I'm now looking for a stand alone camera system.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 4:39:42 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm currently leaning towards a local company do an installed and monitored system with a separate camera arrangement I'll do on my own.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top