Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/11/2017 8:25:20 PM EDT
In a rare moment of clarity, I figured I'd ask the experts before spending money on something I regret. 

I'm sure this topic has been beat to death here, and I apologize if y'all are tired of discussing this ad nauseum, but I really appreciate your help.  I want to make it clear that I'm coming into this with an open mind, and all input is appreciated (even telling me that I'm wrong).

I'm looking to buy an inexpensive but "good enough" camera and DVR system.  I just fell into (won) $200 that is giving me the excuse to finally go ahead with this.  I'm cheap.  It has served me well, but sometimes bites me in the butt.  Right now I have a good, hard-wired alarm system that also emails and texts me when it is tripped.  All guns are in "safes", and I've cozied up to the retired busy-bodies that know every leaf that falls in the neighborhood.  So far, no break-ins, but I attribute that to the same magic that made the power stop going out once I invested in generators and battery bank 

What I am looking for is a relatively low cost (<$300, but ~$200 would be better) camera and DVR system, preferably one that I can buy in a "kit" or all at once from a single vendor.  I am interested in wired over wireless, and feel plenty confident that I can run and configure everything myself.  Constant recording and several days' capacity is a must, as is the ability to discern ne'er-do-wells at distances only up to about 30 feet most likely (tiny property).  The ability to log in and view my cameras over internet would be nice.  Motion detection and email alerts are not something that I think I necessarily need.  No subscription fees, and I'd prefer to keep this off of the "cloud".

I definitely don't need the best of the best, or a ton of fancy features.  This is not a hobby for me, I view it with the same joy as I do paying my homeowners insurance.  I can appreciate those that do view this as kind of a hobby, as I have plenty of expensive "nerd" hobbies myself, but don't need a new one.  I only know enough about the many brands and types of systems out there to know that I don't know all that I need to know.

Do y'all have any recommendations in that price range?  Looking on Amazon, there are several systems with 4-8 cameras, a DVR, and coax/power in my price range.  Most I have to buy and install a HDD, but that is no issue.  Any that I need to avoid?  Any key features / slang that I should be looking for?  Main areas of concern are front porch (tiny) and 2-car garage, but I can put the other 2 watching the cars parked in the street (~30 feet) and the back yard from the roofline (~20-30 feet).
 We do have street lights nearby.  All cameras need to go outside.

Any input on cheapies like these?  Costco is also an option if they have some "must-have" setup.  Thank you all in advance for the help!

Amazon Product
  • 1.Full 960H DVR equipped with 4x 800TVL which provides the image sharp enough to see the details that matter at any time of day or night.
  • 2.Build-in IR Cut Filter ensures true color under all lighting conditions day or night; DVR Equiped with HDMI/VGA/BNC port for multi video output
  • 3.Easy Remote Access: scan QR code and get the free app via App Store or Google Player to realize real-time view & record from anywhere.

Amazon Product
  • Floureon 8 Channel DVR security kits with 4 x bullet weatherproof cameras for all day and night monitoring
  • 960H resolution DVR security system box provides true color high definition images
  • 4x 900 TVL high resolution security cameras provide clear and accurate video viewing, you may add another four extra security camera to work with this system

Link Posted: 4/12/2017 8:58:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Cameras are arguably the one thing you don't want to go super cheap on. Both of the systems you linked to will not be able to reliably tell faces unless someone is within 10 feet of the camera, or very possibly much closer.

With what you want, I would personally look for a bare minimum of 720p cameras. If you don't think you absolutely need to recognize faces, and just want to see the general area/people moving, the ones you linked will be okay.

Personally the camera system I have installed, and just purchased for my home, is excellent the Reolink 4mp system. It will distinguish faces in the 60-100' away, has excellent night vision, and best of all is POE, so you run 1 cable to it, install of having to install power, and then wire together analog cables.

Unfortunately, the Reolink system is about twice your budget, it does have all the things you're looking for, and is inexpensive for what you're getting, especially compared to similar set-ups on the market.

If you really can't/don't want to spend that much, I would look for a system that utilizes a BNC cable. You can find some cheaper systems in the $250-400 range, but you will get a significantly better camera than the ones you linked.

My buddies girlfriend got a set up at Costco, that utilizes the BNC cables and it's okay. Nothing compared to the Reolink, but you can tell faces from a decent distance, license plates if the car stops fairly close to the house. Unfortunately I can't tell you the name of the system, or much else about it, as I didn't see the actual system in person, just the app on his phone.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 9:49:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the input.  I'll heed your advice on the HD cameras.

Anyone have any input on the EZVIZ?  Supposedly 1080P and 4 cameras, 8 channel (expandable), and 1TB for $230.

Amazon Product
  • [Premium Smart Home IOT Surveillance Starter Kit] Easily add up to 4 additional cameras with 8 total channels available and a built in 1TB hard drive.
  • [View From Anywhere, Anytime] The EZVIZ app lets you see all of your EZVIZ cameras in one place. Check in on your home or business wherever you have an internet connection.
  • [Advanced Motion Detection] Any movement detected will be recorded and notification will be sent immediately to your smart phone. Detection area can be customized to minimize false alarms.

Link Posted: 4/17/2017 3:07:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Bump for any more input
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 2:23:12 PM EDT
[#4]
I’m going with a true 1080 camera with dome cameras that will be painted the same color as my house. I will also buy a HDD already installed in the DVR (1TB).

960h is useless, 720P should be your minimum, you want to be able to identify your intruders, 960 looks like its underwater.

Amazon has the best prices I’ve found so far.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 12:49:17 PM EDT
[#5]
A couple options for you:

https://www.samsclub.com/sams/samsung-8ch-1080p-8x4/prod20120665.ip?xid=plp:product:1:3

https://www.samsclub.com/sams/qsee-4x4-1080p-1tb-hdd/prod20596779.ip?xid=plp:product:1:6

Q-see has the better app in my opinion but both work very well for your price range.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 1:56:15 PM EDT
[#6]
I'd encourage you to get a digital/ethernet cabled system over the analog older ones if you can possibly afford it.  The maximum resolution of the analog connection is far lower, and running the cables is the annoying part.  Upgrading the DVR and cameras later is easier when you don't have to run new cabling.  That said, I'm using an analog system because I'm cheap, and you have to be very good with where you choose to place your cameras to get identifying shots at close enough range.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 2:10:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A couple options for you:

https://www.samsclub.com/sams/samsung-8ch-1080p-8x4/prod20120665.ip?xid=plp:product:1:3

https://www.samsclub.com/sams/qsee-4x4-1080p-1tb-hdd/prod20596779.ip?xid=plp:product:1:6

Q-see has the better app in my opinion but both work very well for your price range.
View Quote
I was also going to suggest Sam's club or Costco. 

I think my Costco has one they'd $350.. Maybe even $280? Can't remember

Buddy has a QSee system and is happy with it
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top