Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/5/2017 4:55:24 AM EDT
Thinking about getting a safe this year, possibly a Liberty Fatboy.  No matter what i get though, any safe of a decent size will have to go into the basement.  I live in a ranch house and getting one into the upper living area will be a real challenge, and the basement has a walkout, sliding patio door so thats really the most realistic option.

The basement is more or less unfinished, drywall is up in the area where it would more than likely go, floor is concrete.  Thats unlikely to change.

It's pretty dry down there, and is also climate controlled, but once a year or so I do get water seepage in on one side of the basement, far from where the safe will be, it's usually gone within 24 hours.

Even though the seepage is on the other side of the basement, far away from where the safe will be, I'd still like to do something to protect the safe from any risk of water damage by raising it an inch or so off the ground.  Suggestions?
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 6:12:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Energy Star Rated Basement Dehumidifier, preferably one that drains to a floor drain so you do not have to empty every day.

Build a base out of pressure treated 4 x 6 timbers, 3/4 plywood bottom, fill with concrete, add another 3/4 plywood for the top, bolt the safe to the base, just the way I would do it if I wanted to elevate a safe in a basement and maintain some sense of keeping the safe "anchored".

You could also have a steel frame made from square wall steel, like 1.25 or 1.5 inch square, sit it on the frame, bolt to the concrete.  Frame around the base would help prevent prying (compared to using something like hockey pucks which I have seen recommended).
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 4:04:08 PM EDT
[#2]
I lost some very rare and valuable firearms by keeping them in my basement.  DON"T DO IT!!!!!!!!

By their nature -- low temperature -- basements are humid.  If you want to pay the expense of a large humidifier, you can mitigate that humidity.

But, the day will come when water gets into your basement.  Anything below water level will be destroyed.  

Just sharing my experience.
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 3:15:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I lost some very rare and valuable firearms by keeping them in my basement.  DON"T DO IT!!!!!!!!

By their nature -- low temperature -- basements are humid.  If you want to pay the expense of a large humidifier, you can mitigate that humidity.

But, the day will come when water gets into your basement.  Anything below water level will be destroyed.  

Just sharing my experience.
View Quote
not really any choice unless I just get no safe at all.. the size safe I need/want I just simply cannot get onto the main floor of the house unless it's put in the living room and that's not going to happen.  Only other option is to get a safe that is much smaller than I require and use it for the class III items and a few selected firearms.  By much smaller, I really mean much smaller also.

Basement is actually climate controlled fairly well though, getting both A/C and heat from the ductwork that runs from the heating/cooling system, and I've never really seen the humidity get up past 35-40%.  As far as the water seepage goes, that happens rarely, and I am able to respond fairly quickly to that.

As far as building a concrete base for it in the basement, not entirely opposed to that idea, but  there are a few reasons I'd rather not do that (one reason being the ceiling in the basement is pretty low compared to houses built today, the other being laziness) if there are other options. Does the hockey puck thing really work out for most people?
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 11:50:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Where is your water problem coming from ? I had a little wet spot that would show up after heavy rains. I found out that I had a downspout that was disconnected and flowing right down the foundation Fixed it, have not had a problem since. Try to address that water problem.
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 12:36:32 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a Liberty Fatboy in my walkout basement and haven't had any problems with mine.  I just use the supplied goldenrod but my basement is climate controlled as well.  I would bolt it to the floor and call it good.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 6:41:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Mine has been in my basement for 4 years now on a 2x4 platform with no issues. I keep a dehumidifier running in the more humid months may-sep and thats it. I plan on adding a golden rod as extra insurance.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top