Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/1/2017 11:17:39 PM EDT
I've been going round and round about which model I should go with and the options are just staggering. Almost pulled the trigger on a Browning safe today at Academy, but they only had the floor model left which had a few scratches/dings and they wouldn't budge on the price. I've been looking at Liberty, but just about everything I've got my eye on is pushing me over the $2k mark. I'm looking for something similar in size to the Fatboy (which I've seen in some older threads has sold at times for well below $2k) or the Colonial 50.

So what are some good options here (I'm not really set on manufacturer so long as it's a good safe)? Budget needs to include shipping/delivery to my garage. Any places that have the Fatboy on sale (I really would love to have one)? My searching hasn't turned up anything.
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 11:22:17 PM EDT
[#1]
What are you getting it for?
What do you need it to do?
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 11:27:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 11:30:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What are you getting it for?
What do you need it to do?
View Quote
Well as of right now, I only have about 10 long guns and a handful of pistols, so a big safe isn't really a necessity right now, but I'd like to future proof myself for a while.  I'm obviously looking for security as well as fire protection.  Will be stored in my living room, most likely bolted to a few wall studs (I have a tile floor which from what I've seen is a pain in the ass to drill through without cracking them).
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 7:46:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Liberty Fatboy.  Bigger is always better.

ETA: I have one, so yes, I can recommend it.

/thread
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 8:41:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Check out CE safes, they have two showrooms in Florida and deliver.  Also look up how to drill through tile so you can bolt to the slab, using studs is a terrible choice.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 2:23:11 PM EDT
[#6]
You really have to be sure you're comparing apples to apples when purchasing a gun safe.  Browning is notorious for being vague (at best) about the construction of the doors on their products.  Basically, when they put a gun rack on the door they had to remove weight from the door itself to prevent the safe from falling forward onto the owner.  

So, Browning -- for all its virtues -- falls short in the area of the door in comparison to most other popular brands.

I've bought three safes over the years.  Each time I set out to make the best decision, given the amount I had to spend.  Each time I ended up with a Fort Knox safe.  With Fort Knox, you'll always get more dollar-for-dollar.  But, as I said, you have to compare apples to apples to reach this conclusion.

Anyway, I have found Fort Knox DEALERS to be extremely helpful, competitive, and always willing to work on price -- always.

There is a real pride of ownership thing that attends the purchase of their products too.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 2:25:19 PM EDT
[#7]
I love my Browning heavyweight HW34.

$2300 delivered, IIRC.

Heavy as fk.

Better fire rating than the comparable liberty.  (Not bashing Liberty, it fit better in to my price point too...)
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 10:00:32 AM EDT
[#8]
I looked into liberty but was not really impressed with the security of the safe, They have gone the route of the big box brand of safes and are using fairly thin sheet metal these days in all but their highest end safes. For a real safe you want something like a sturdysafe. For $2000 you can get a no frills safe that will actually stop non-power tool attacks.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 1:30:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Sturdy Safe

https://www.sturdysafe.com/
View Quote
After months of research I went with Sturdy and couldn't be happier.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 4:11:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Liberty is having a sale on their web site right now, not sure if that's for all vendors or just the site.

Not sure if you've only priced them online, but the prices are their site were way more than the prices at my local Liberty dealer.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 4:19:17 PM EDT
[#11]
New company called Safeguard.

They are stout safes. Two different safe re-sellers had positive things to say about them. I ordered the GX-41 to start filling. It will be here tomorrow.

I paid less than $1,500.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 10:28:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Liberty Fatboy.....can be had under $2k when they have a decent sale.

Check out Costco... They sell Big Horn safes.  Lower cost.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 11:29:14 PM EDT
[#13]
I ended up going with a Franklin 50 (just a taller Fatboy, apparently).  I like it so far.  Now I just need to buy more guns as it's looking pretty sparse in there.  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 4:45:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Nice choice.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 11:34:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I ended up going with a Franklin 50 (just a taller Fatboy, apparently).  I like it so far.  Now I just need to buy more guns as it's looking pretty sparse in there.  

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/294984/IMG-1109-185436-191902.JPG
View Quote
you got that for under $2K?????
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 7:56:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
you got that for under $2K?????
View Quote
Forgot to add that part....no.  I went almost $1k over budget.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top