Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/25/2017 5:14:15 PM EDT
I built an NVR with Milestone Xprotect Essential and added the mobile app.  Right now I have one camera on the system and will be adding my 2nd camera soon.  It took me a ton of work, but finally got the Milestone Mobile app to connect to the server and we can view the camera on each phone and iPads, but only when we are on our home network.  If we get off the house wifi then it won't connect to the camera server.  I've tried to work out port forwarding on our Apple Airport Extreme following some info I found online.  I tried a bunch of different configurations and never got any results.  We can use the app while at home, but not when we leave.  Kind of defeats the purpose of having the mobile app

Can you guys shed any light on what I'm doing wrong?  This stuff is driving me crazy with all these port settings and addresses.  

Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 5:30:49 PM EDT
[#1]
You need to figure out if your Internet Service Provider gives you a static or dynamic IP address.

When you are outside your home network, you need to connect to your public IP address. If you have a static IP, you can just enter the IP. If you have a dynamic address, you will need to update it manually in your app or use a dynamic DNS service to keep your IP address updated with your public IP address.

If all that above is Greek to you, I can explain it more.

Where in TX are you?
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 4:46:06 PM EDT
[#2]
I am in the same situation. I'll give it a go with my external IP as well and see what I can get to work. Great software, but between this and the 8 camera limit for free it's frustrating. Wish I could buy 1-2 more camera licenses for a reasonable cost, unfortunately they do not allow it.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 5:19:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I am in the same situation. I'll give it a go with my external IP as well and see what I can get to work. Great software, but between this and the 8 camera limit for free it's frustrating. Wish I could buy 1-2 more camera licenses for a reasonable cost, unfortunately they do not allow it.
View Quote
Take a look at Blue Iris. Free trial allows full functionality. License is $60? If I remember right.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 2:15:05 PM EDT
[#4]
You know that was the first one I looked at but it seems to have it's quirks. I may go back to it simply as It's fairly costly to move above 8 cameras as a home user on milestone. If I could buy one or two licenses and keep my 8 free sure, but it's not allowed.

Still cannot get that mobile app to work either. At least from a network outside my own. On wifi it's fine.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 9:25:14 PM EDT
[#5]
I used the free milestone for a year or so. It worked great till the day it decided not to. It's super efficient on the server.

I had a similar issue and had both ip addresses setup in the app and switched based on whether I was on the network or not.

At some point something changed and the limitations of the free software don't allow you to wipe everything and start from scratch.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 10:09:58 PM EDT
[#6]
You probably have a dynamic address. You need a Dynamic DNS service. They are free ones out there, but you do have to log in every once in a while so they know you are human. It takes your dynamic address and picks a name for it, you have limited choices, and then you can connect. Open the correct ports on your firewall/router and it should work. Make sure you change any and all default passwords. I use ChangeIP.come for mine as it worked well with my firewall.
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 4:13:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
You probably have a dynamic address. You need a Dynamic DNS service. They are free ones out there, but you do have to log in every once in a while so they know you are human. It takes your dynamic address and picks a name for it, you have limited choices, and then you can connect. Open the correct ports on your firewall/router and it should work. Make sure you change any and all default passwords. I use ChangeIP.come for mine as it worked well with my firewall.
View Quote
I have a static IP set on the computer running the software.

Was on my wireless network last night, looked at cameras fine, went to bed and checked again, would not connect. Very glitchy, I am going to play with Luxriots offerings this weekend.
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 9:05:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I have a static IP set on the computer running the software.

Was on my wireless network last night, looked at cameras fine, went to bed and checked again, would not connect. Very glitchy, I am going to play with Luxriots offerings this weekend.
View Quote
Go to whatsmyip.com and that is the ip address you need to use for external access.
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 2:21:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Go to whatsmyip.com and that is the ip address you need to use for external access.
View Quote
Yep, done it
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 7:35:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Yep, done it
View Quote
https://portforward.com/help/portcheck.htm

Check to see if your ports are forwarded correctly.
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 9:55:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

https://portforward.com/help/portcheck.htm

Check to see if your ports are forwarded correctly.
View Quote
This has been what I have thought it is. I plan to mess with it more today.

I installed the Luxriots package yesterday only because it allows 9 cameras
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 9:07:29 AM EDT
[#12]
I used Milestone Xprotect Essential for many years before it was free.  I stopped using it when Milestone refused to help me with a license issue.  It's great software but their licensing and support structure sucks big time.

Anyways, sorry about the rant.    Here's the port forwarding I had setup on my router when I was running it and mobile worked great from anywhere.  The 192.168.1.200 was my Milestone server static IP of course.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 3:53:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
You need to figure out if your Internet Service Provider gives you a static or dynamic IP address.

When you are outside your home network, you need to connect to your public IP address. If you have a static IP, you can just enter the IP. If you have a dynamic address, you will need to update it manually in your app or use a dynamic DNS service to keep your IP address updated with your public IP address.

If all that above is Greek to you, I can explain it more.

Where in TX are you?
View Quote
It's mostly Greek to me, it took me several days to figure out enough about ports and settings to get this stuff working as much as it does now.  

I'm running an Apple AirPort Extreme router and use a local service provider that uses line of sight antenna for internet (live kinda in the sticks).  I got on the router the other day to figure out port forwarding. I think I put the right settings in for that, still nothing.  I'll have to figure out the IP info, no clue at the moment

I'm near Springtown Tx area, basically west of Ft Worth.  

Thanks for the assistance so far guys.  I was in Jamaica for a week and now I'm back to work on this system.  I need to get the app up and running cause it's all part of selling this system to the wifey.  I also have a new camera that I need to install this week.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top