Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/25/2017 1:19:37 AM EDT
Long short short, crime is going up where I'm at, so I've been tasked with trying to find a good security system for the house.  Namely 4-6 outdoor cameras with NV mode that can work out in -70f if need be.  The cold is the big one, as a security system that is useless for ~3 months a year is kinda useless as a whole.  My folks would prefer wired units that can go to a base station like usual.  Wiring isn't an issue as my dad was is an electrician and can handle that bit. Remote movement control isn't really an issue, especially since I doubt anything in their price range would work/rotate in that weather.  Minimum of MP resolution is preferred.

Unfortunately, I know fuckall about this type of camera so advice is good.  
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 1:32:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Yeah for the cold there for cameras is all I can say is Good Luck. -40 and colder most cameras just don't survive. No clue on what would work just saying good luck and if you find some let me know how they work in 60+MPH wind. Guessing if they can survive the cold they should survive the wind and dirt.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 1:37:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yeah for the cold there for cameras is all I can say is Good Luck. -40 and colder most cameras just don't survive. No clue on what would work just saying good luck and if you find some let me know how they work in 60+MPH wind. Guessing if they can survive the cold they should survive the wind and dirt.
View Quote
Will do.  I'm going to also post up in the HTF and see if anyone has ideas.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 1:44:26 PM EDT
[#3]
I googled it and found several ~$500 cameras that are rated for what you need. But, you would probably be better off buying a variety of cheap ($30) cameras off of amazon and testing them yourself.

You get same day amazon prime shipping in AK right?
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 1:57:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I googled it and found several ~$500 cameras that are rated for what you need. But, you would probably be better off buying a variety of cheap ($30) cameras off of amazon and testing them yourself.

You get same day amazon prime shipping in AK right?
View Quote
I figured the brain trust here might have practical experience with some models.  Better safe to ask first. And no, prime is like 2-3 week shipping. 
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 9:29:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Only thing I could see working at those temps would be a dome camera where you put a small heating element on a thermostat inside.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 11:23:45 PM EDT
[#6]
When I worked at the South Pole Station we had a full Honeywell CCTV system. The outside cameras were vandal resistant domes with built in heaters even then we had to bring them in when it got below -55F. The biggest problem was the wiring cracking and pretty much disintegrating due to the cold. Those cameras were over $2,000 a piece though, I kinda doubt you'll find what you need without spending a lot of money. Just be prepared to replace them because things will always go bad in that kinda weather.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 9:09:40 AM EDT
[#7]
I need some cameras for security at our hunting camp. I want WiFi where I can just connect them to a router as we run a generator all night, need around 100 to 200 ft range.

I would run a laptop all night with the camera window up preferably. Fucking bears like to come by in the dark but we really have not had any problems since I put up the big yard light
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 9:42:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Hikvisions have survived Wisconsin -10 for a few days. Agreed with the poster to just buy a few and try them out.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 1:34:20 AM EDT
[#9]
For extreme stuff, you usually keep the camera on a housing, and a heating element is installed to maintain temperature and not fog up the lens.

Something like this.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KLKOORE?tag=vglnk-c102-20
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 4:10:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
For extreme stuff, you usually keep the camera on a housing, and a heating element is installed to maintain temperature and not fog up the lens.

Something like this.

https://www.amazon.com/Heated-Weatherproof-Outdoor-Enclosure-Automatic/dp/B00KLKOORE?tag=vglnk-c102-20
View Quote
Sweet   Thanks, I'm passing that onto my folks.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 9:58:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Most outdoor domes have small heating/dehumidifier elements.

At -70°F you're propably going to need a secondary enclosure, and or utilize indoor viewing positions.

For instance, I have a wireless cam mounted to an articulating arm that can be move and adjusted easily.

Also have some hard mounted cams that are posted in entries that can also see outside to an extent.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 7:57:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Something like this.

https://www.amazon.com/Heated-Weatherproof-Outdoor-Enclosure-Automatic/dp/B00KLKOORE?tag=vglnk-c102-20
View Quote
This one has a picture that shows the blower and heater, and has some good reviews to read: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0010ENHKK?tag=vglnk-c102-20
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 12:42:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
This one has a picture that shows the blower and heater, and has some good reviews to read: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0010ENHKK?tag=vglnk-c102-20
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Something like this.

What camera(s)/camera types would work best in this enclosure? I need to set up a non-wifi camera that can endure cold winters.  Suggestions greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 2:18:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 3:25:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Our external camera at work is inside of a house with a heater in it
Even at -50 it never had a problem taking video
View Quote
Okay I was thinking we'd need one.  Forwarding all this to my folks.  Thanks UAF 
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top