Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/22/2017 2:53:53 PM EDT
I guess things have moved a lot past the Vista system I was looking at installing a few.. or more years ago
I see a lot of wireless sensors now... that are possibly better?  I am clueless

I need a system that can alert me remotely when the alarm goes off, and I also need a camera system that I can access from the internet to take a peak at what is going on if I am not around.  I am really not big into the home automation side, especially if simpler will save me some money and bandwidth.  Have no idea if I can come in at $1k for an alarm and $1500 on the cameras....  I have more room if it nets better/user friendly software, but really looking for the "Ford" vs the "Cadiallac" LOL.

Part 1:

The alarm system needs to be able to set for two modes:

Armed away, for the entire house including a smoke detector; and
Armed present/perimeter, for when the kids are home for instance.

I do not need monitoring company capability.  I still have a land line but would really like to configure the alarm to send me a text message/ and or email (possibly both?) when the system alarms.  I already have wireless set up on a UPS, so being able to just plug a network cord into the router would be great, or just tap into the wifi.  I am just enough tech savvy/comfortable with this stuff to be dangerous

I would like 1 main and 2 auxillary keypads (1 at main entrance, another at Master bedroom and Garage door to arm/disarm system) and even pushbutton key fobs would be awesome for the wife's convenience.

I will need 4 door switches, and 4 good motion detectors to cover the traffic areas.  Wireless here would save me a lot of drilling and wire running.  Also a nice quality smoke detector; (I have daisy chained AC battery backup models, is there any way to tap into that common alarm activation circuit?)

Finally, I ran some wire to an outbuilding in preparation for installing a Vista type system, (but never completed the alarm system install)- so the ability to either install a wired door switch or wireless module in the outbuilding that could be tied into the home system would be great, and being able to identify the zone as outbuilding vs home would be even better.

Part 2:

As far as cameras, I need 2 really good, day time high resolution cameras that can see out to around 30 yards +/- field of view, and one camera that is good for 5 yards day and night time for the main entrance.  I like the dome style cameras.  I tried to keep up in the camera thread, and all I know is I am looking more for being able to recognize a face vs. the blurred blobs the cheap cameras offer is what I want to avoid.  I can crimp network cables, but getting the cameras and the software to view and/or store the images is where I am dumb.  Ideally, if the alarm system goes off, I would like to be able to connect remotely and see an image of what is going on via the internet or phone.  Beyond that, storing the images offsite would be a bonus so I would have something to give to LEO if needed.  Is there a way to have the images dump into a "cloud" type storage and automatically over-write every week or so that you can go back and search if needed?  I looked at the cameras that email you when there is an image captured from motion, but I really don't want to be spammed with 100s of emailed pictures a day.  I only really care to see what is going on only if someone is trying to break in, or just when I want to log in and see if the kids locked up the chicken coop or not.  

I have a big box of network cable, a soldering gun, and just need a shopping list.  The shopping list is important because I really don't know the reputable dealers, and the equipment specifications ins and outs, so it would prevent me from getting the shaft, or making an incompatible purchase.

I have a P-mag for the best alarm system, and a P-mag for the best camera system.  I guess if there is a bunch of submissions, I can make a separate vote thread for the winner  

Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 10:37:35 PM EDT
[#1]
I can try to give you a recommendation but honestly I'd be afraid that the learning curve of setting it up might be so great that you'll get it all wired up piss and moan over getting it all to work and then rip it all out....   Still want a recommendation?
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 11:07:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I can try to give you a recommendation but honestly I'd be afraid that the learning curve of setting it up might be so great that you'll get it all wired up piss and moan over getting it all to work and then rip it all out....   Still want a recommendation?
View Quote
I was going to put in a Honeywell Vista panel, but the more I shopped, the more "wireless" technologies seem to pop up.  I don't want to make the wrong purchase with a hard-to-program, wire intensive panel if there is something that integrates better and newer tech, smoothly, cheaply- etc.  

Trust me, I am just looking for compatible hardware at this point.  No one will be on the hook for technical support.    It is like building an AR variant caliber- what is the best, most successful recipe; what works together to achieve the goals I posted.  That is the reason I came here, I am not up to speed on all the new and greatest.  Now, if I end up purchasing something that only works with a commodore 64 or something, yeah, I might be a little upset  If I just need to run a Vista with a wireless keypad and a few panel plugins, sure.  But if there is something better I am all ears.

But like I mentioned, if it means an extra $50- $100- whatever for user friendly software vs. advanced level computer engineer programming requirement, I would be in favor of the more expensive software for ease of use, especially when it comes to the camera system.  
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 12:09:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Take a look at the Honeywell Lyric system. Their latest encrypted sensors and very simple set up. I put a full system in about 6 months ago. It is an amazing security system. Will do all you are wanting and more. I've had zero issues with mine so far.

For camera systems, check out the Reolink 4 camera systems on Amazon.  This is what I'm looking to get but don't have it yet. Great reviews and great value from what I can tell.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 8:58:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Part 2:[/b]

As far as cameras, I need 2 really good, day time high resolution cameras that can see out to around 30 yards +/- field of view, and one camera that is good for 5 yards day and night time for the main entrance.  I like the dome style cameras.  I tried to keep up in the camera thread, and all I know is I am looking more for being able to recognize a face vs. the blurred blobs the cheap cameras offer is what I want to avoid.  I can crimp network cables, but getting the cameras and the software to view and/or store the images is where I am dumb.  Ideally, if the alarm system goes off, I would like to be able to connect remotely and see an image of what is going on via the internet or phone.  Beyond that, storing the images offsite would be a bonus so I would have something to give to LEO if needed.  Is there a way to have the images dump into a "cloud" type storage and automatically over-write every week or so that you can go back and search if needed?  I looked at the cameras that email you when there is an image captured from motion, but I really don't want to be spammed with 100s of emailed pictures a day.  I only really care to see what is going on only if someone is trying to break in, or just when I want to log in and see if the kids locked up the chicken coop or not.  

I have a big box of network cable, a soldering gun, and just need a shopping list.  The shopping list is important because I really don't know the reputable dealers, and the equipment specifications ins and outs, so it would prevent me from getting the shaft, or making an incompatible purchase.

I have a P-mag for the best alarm system, and a P-mag for the best camera system.  I guess if there is a bunch of submissions, I can make a separate vote thread for the winner  

Thanks!
View Quote

As far as a camera System, Hikvision is arguably regarded as the best, but if you don't want to spend a huge amount on cameras/NVR, I would highly suggest Reolink.

They have a 4mp POE camera system that is awesome. I set them up on my moms house, and they've been fantastic for well over 15 months now. They have both dome and bullet, the bullet are rated as having slightly longer night vision, but the domes are still around 90ft at night (iirc). Being 4mp they will easily pick up faces, with my moms cameras you can see license plate numbers quite easily, and the camera is decently far away.

They do have an app that allows you to see the cameras anywhere, it's very easy to set up. You download the app, then scan the 3d barcode on top of the NVR, and it automatically connects them. They have systems up to 16 channels, but a 4 or 8 is all you'd need, unless you plan to really expand. You'll only need to run ethernet, which makes the install a breeze.

I can't speak for a cloud system, I seem to vaguely recall it might be possible with Reolink, but if you properly secure your NVR, it shouldn't be a problem. Another thing the NVR has is the ability to hook up a SATA to a back up HDD. So if you were really paranoid, you could do that, and have your video backed up to your back up HDD, then run that somewhere else, even if someone takes the NVR, they probably won't realize their is a backup HDD.

You can set Reolink up to send you emails, but you aren't required too, my mother doesn't.

On Amazon the Reolink system sells for ~$550, that includes your NVR with 2TB HDD, 4 cameras, and all the little accessories. My mom has right around 5 days of recording with 5 cameras, before it overrides the old stuff. I believe with 3 cameras she had around 8 or 9 days. However, her system is set to record 24/7 on all cameras. If you choose to record only movement, you'll have probably weeks or months of recording time.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 9:42:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

As far as a camera System, Hikvision is arguably regarded as the best, but if you don't want to spend a huge amount on cameras/NVR, I would highly suggest Reolink.

They have a 4mp POE camera system that is awesome. I set them up on my moms house, and they've been fantastic for well over 15 months now. They have both dome and bullet, the bullet are rated as having slightly longer night vision, but the domes are still around 90ft at night (iirc). Being 4mp they will easily pick up faces, with my moms cameras you can see license plate numbers quite easily, and the camera is decently far away.

They do have an app that allows you to see the cameras anywhere, it's very easy to set up. You download the app, then scan the 3d barcode on top of the NVR, and it automatically connects them. They have systems up to 16 channels, but a 4 or 8 is all you'd need, unless you plan to really expand. You'll only need to run ethernet, which makes the install a breeze.

I can't speak for a cloud system, I seem to vaguely recall it might be possible with Reolink, but if you properly secure your NVR, it shouldn't be a problem. Another thing the NVR has is the ability to hook up a SATA to a back up HDD. So if you were really paranoid, you could do that, and have your video backed up to your back up HDD, then run that somewhere else, even if someone takes the NVR, they probably won't realize their is a backup HDD.

You can set Reolink up to send you emails, but you aren't required too, my mother doesn't.

On Amazon the Reolink system sells for ~$550, that includes your NVR with 2TB HDD, 4 cameras, and all the little accessories. My mom has right around 5 days of recording with 5 cameras, before it overrides the old stuff. I believe with 3 cameras she had around 8 or 9 days. However, her system is set to record 24/7 on all cameras. If you choose to record only movement, you'll have probably weeks or months of recording time.
View Quote
Awesome...  I like how it is stand alone so I can upgrade the entire system in the future as better cameras and technology become available.  IM me your address for your PMAG
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 9:46:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Take a look at the Honeywell Lyric system. Their latest encrypted sensors and very simple set up. I put a full system in about 6 months ago. It is an amazing security system. Will do all you are wanting and more. I've had zero issues with mine so far.
View Quote
Do you self-monitor your system, or have a contract?  I guess I was mostly concerned what it would take to get the lyric to self-monitor.  I know on the vista it was just a matter of plugging in a card and configuring it.  The Lyric seems heavily software driven...  its not proprietary, meaning I can program who I want it to contact when setting it up?
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 2:00:49 AM EDT
[#7]
When I initially set it up it was self monitoring and worked great. Honeywell has apps for it. Now it's monitored and not proprietary so you can chose who you want to use etc. I did end up getting the cellular card for it so my cost went up some by adding that as secondary communication in case wifi was ever lost.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 7:42:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
When I initially set it up it was self monitoring and worked great. Honeywell has apps for it. Now it's monitored and not proprietary so you can chose who you want to use etc. I did end up getting the cellular card for it so my cost went up some by adding that as secondary communication in case wifi was ever lost.
View Quote
Did you have to pay a monthly fee or access fee to use the Honeywell monitoring app, or was it a one time charge?  May I ask what dealer you purchased your equipment through?   I really like the looks of this system but it is super new.  IM me your address for your pmag.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 11:14:14 PM EDT
[#9]
No fee for the apps.
I used alarmgrid.com, can't say enough good things about them. They answer all questions and have great install vids on YouTube. I bought lots of sensors and motions etc and had one that was bad. It was fine but ate batteries for some reason, they replaced it no issues. Their monitoring is very reasonable too.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 9:20:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks, and contest is closed
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top