Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/9/2017 11:50:54 AM EDT
I am looking for a gun safe of sorts.  Doesn't need to top tier.  In this application I'd be happy with a reasonable quality residential secure container (that can house rifles).

The issues are location dependent.  I have 8 foot ceilings and not much width.  The width is to be determined, but the narrower the better (potentially).

Do you guys know of any 8 foot containers that aren't that wide?
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 7:08:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Sturdy Safe will build to order for you.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 5:11:44 PM EDT
[#2]
8 feet is super tall and you typically won't find a "safe" of those dimensions. It is better to be wide and short than tall and skinny when it comes to safes. If you just want a gun locker, then you should have more luck, but you won't find any RSC containers that are actually approved at that height. Most top out at 6 ft tall as most people can't see or reach much higher than that.

How Skinny are you talking? Barska makes a couple of safes that have more depth than width and are tall and skinny but use the bio lock (not crazy about it) - check it here: Barska Gun Safes

Let me know if you have more questions,

Matt
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 5:12:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Sturdy Safe is not UL approved and they just make up their ratings without any independent verification. Not a fan of their products at all.
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 7:09:23 PM EDT
[#4]
This is for my secondary location.  The safes in question will be behind 6 inch rebar concrete walls.  I decided to go with 2 slim safes / containers stacked on each other.  

Issue is the width dimension is at a premium.

Cannon safe.  

Doesn't have to be this brand.
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 1:50:09 PM EDT
[#5]
The taller the safe the more likely it is to fall over in transit resulting in damage.  Last year I wanted a Superior Master 30 but couldn't find a dealer that would ship one due to previous issues with them falling over during shipping.  I wound up getting a Supreme 35 which is a little wider but same height.
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 4:55:38 PM EDT
[#6]
I was hoping to buy it locally and get it delivered.
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 6:44:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Not sure how narrow a space you'll need to fit it in, but while looking for a small closet rifle-size cabinet I saw that secureit tactical makes a very small lightweight safe that you can use vertically.

No experience with the brand and it only holds 2 rifles, but it's the narrowest I've seen.

https://www.secureitgunstorage.com/product/hidden-gun-safe-model-47/
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 8:47:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sturdy Safe will build to order for you.
View Quote
If I wanted a custom sized safe, I would send sturdy an email with the external dimensions and features that I wanted. Basically, pick an external cabinet size and decide what thickness of steel and if you want ceramic wool fire lining.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 3:22:45 PM EDT
[#9]
I needed a custom safe for my master bedroom closet that needed to be tall and skinny.  (albeit not 8ft tall)

I ended up building the custom safe from scratch out of plate steel.   Although I did recycle the electronic lock keypad and circuit board from an existing small handgun safe.

Not sure if that is a route you want to go, but if you want custom you can always buy plate steel and weld up your own box and fabricate your own bolt lock-work.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top