Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/4/2017 5:06:31 PM EDT
We have a broken baby monitor, one toddler, and another baby on the way. I would rather not waste the money on another baby monitor if it's better spent on a more capable security camera system. My wife and I would like to set up multiple cameras and an NVR to do both kid monitoring and security monitoring. However, this solution needs to be at least as capable as the monitor it replaces. For those that are using Hikvision's viewing app, can you answer these two questions?

Does the app mix audio together when viewing multiple cameras? I want to be able to monitor video and audio for two rooms at once.

Does the audio continue to play when the phone is locked, and when the app isn't active? I want to be able to lock my phone at night but still monitor the audio as I sleep.

We're not married to Hikvision or their app; I haven't bought anything yet. If there's a different brand of NVR or viewing app that supports my use I'd love to hear about it. Thanks in advance.!
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 7:17:25 PM EDT
[#1]
No experience with the app, but I am going to go ahead and say "no". It won't do all of that stuff that you want it to. Especially the audio while locked.

My suggestion is to go ahead with your surveillance system plans and then buy dedicated, audio baby monitors. You hear something and then you can bring up the app to take a look. I've had three children and this worked well for us.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 10:07:12 AM EDT
[#2]
If I recall correctly, TinyCam Monitor Pro ($4 app meant for using IP cams as baby monitors) will do audio with the phone locked. That is what we use for baby monitoring and those cameras/apps are separate from the security cams/NVR. I will say that there is a bit more "lag" when using IP cam to router, to smart-phone app (dedicated audio baby monitors are pretty much instant), but absolutely MUCH higher video quality for much cheaper than the dedicated video baby monitors.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 8:51:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Just remembered. Blue Iris has audio while phone locked functionality. I don't have the app, so I can't confirm that it actually works. You will also need a PC running Blue Iris.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 11:44:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If I recall correctly, TinyCam Monitor Pro ($4 app meant for using IP cams as baby monitors) will do audio with the phone locked. That is what we use for baby monitoring and those cameras/apps are separate from the security cams/NVR. I will say that there is a bit more "lag" when using IP cam to router, to smart-phone app (dedicated audio baby monitors are pretty much instant), but absolutely MUCH higher video quality for much cheaper than the dedicated video baby monitors.
View Quote
I can verify this. It's what we do at our house, though the audio isn't needed any more. It is also what I recommend to all my friends who are new or will be new to parenthood soon.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top