Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/24/2017 9:25:37 AM EDT
Hi guys,

I'm looking to install 1 or 2 cameras at our unmanned warehouse but struggling to find a suitable kit at a reasonable price.

I've had Swann kits in the past and found them to be of decent quality but not really kept up with the latest models.

There's no phone line or internet access, remote viewing would be a bonus but not necessary. Was thinking of a mobile hotspot of some sort though I've not had experience using them before.

We've had a couple of instances of vehicles turning around and hitting the building, recently quite severely which cracked the brickwork and wedged the steel door shut in its frame.
Registration plate pickup is a must, more so for daylight use as there are less cars there at night.

Would prefer an NVR unit for the picture quality over DVR, one angled down at the door and shutter, then another on the road approaching, mounting height will be about 5-6m off the ground.

Any recommendations?

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 9:29:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 9:37:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So you have power out there... do you have cellular service?
View Quote

Yes, got mains power. It's an industrial estate on the outskirts of town. Cellular service is good but unsure if it'd work out more expensive with the date usage than having an internet connection installed.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 9:54:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 11:43:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I have some suggestions on this... may work out cheaper than a regular internet connection, provided you don't mind hacking a bit.
View Quote

As long as it's legal, sure I'm open to ideas.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 12:19:37 PM EDT
[#5]
There are cellular game cameras.  Think one brand uses AT&T.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 12:44:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 1:32:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Other options, similar to the cisco system mentiond above is point-to-point wireless bridging. They function just like a wired LAN cable does but they are wireless. You install antenna on remote building, and a 2nd antenna on building local to you, or a building where you have an existing internet connection. IE, it's commonly used to "beam" internet to a place where there is none available. They are typically LOS (Line of site) though so you do have to consider that. Is the cisco system LOS as well? Less than half mile can be done for under $200, less than 5 miles for under $400. You will need to configure them but there are youtube videos etc that walk you through it if you buy a common product like the Ubiquiti Network products.

Another option is the jetpack; there is a way to get unlimited 3G data on a jetpack for $5/mo; that is what I use for internet at my remote house (no other internet but I am right on the fringe of 3G coverage).
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 1:51:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 8:37:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Thank you for the detailed replies!

I take it that I'd also need a switch with POE output if using the Cisco router.

There's a lot of activity at the site during the day so email updates would be constant.
I would prefer to have local storage and remote streaming, any suggestions on NVR and camera make/models?
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 9:09:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 10:06:11 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

ETA:  not to mention those ISRs allow you to use external antennas.  The tiny little antenna in your cell phone sucks by comparison.  Those ISRs allow yagis, panels, large omnis, and other higher-gain antennas to be used if needed.  You can even deploy those ISRs up on towers and other inhospitable locations to improve your signal.  That allows you to have solid cellular internet in remote locations where your cell phone says "No Service"
View Quote

Newer Jetpacks also allow external antennas FWIW.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 10:37:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 10:03:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Interesting... hadn't see that.  What type of jack/port does it have?
View Quote

Small and round... haha!!!! I don't know enough to ID the jack/port, I just know that there is an external antenna port on mine. I can go to a place like 3G store and buy an external antenna and it offers the option to buy an adapter cable and lists my model jetpack as one of the options. I have a Novatel 4620.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 10:38:42 AM EDT
[#14]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top