Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/18/2017 11:58:56 AM EDT
Hi All,

I've decided to go with a simplex style mechanical lock box.  This is really just for a bedside pistol.  Something to keep the 4 year old out of.
What would be the least expensive brand you would trust? Budget is very tight. Are all "Simplex" locks equal?

Thanks and regards.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 1:52:28 PM EDT
[#1]
It's hard to go wrong with a "Simplex" handgun safe. Most are made with thicker steel than their electronic counterparts. Also, in the unlikely event that you if ever wear out the lock you can just replace it. All electronic ones are throw-aways with no parts available. The things that I would consider is where and how will you mount it. Most can only be used in one orientation, like a cigar box.

Probably the most affordable is V-Line, but also the thinnest steel on their basic unit. They have some other models and mounting brackets that might fit your needs.

Fort Knox and Amsec make good ones that are 7GA door and 10GA boxes. Again, how you use it/mount if might make a difference.

FAS1 Safe makes the heaviest (7GA all sides and door) and the holstered gun is presented to you via gas strut. This design lets it be mounted just about any way. All these brands are a little different and some have unique options that will also drive up the price, but also might enhance security if you leave a weapon in it all the time.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 4:31:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank you. Fas1 and Fort Knox are the two I've been wanting, but are out of my budget. I have been keeping my pistol on the top closet shelf at bedtime. All other times it is on my person.
Maybe I'll wait on my tax return and suck up the cost.  
Regards
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 6:12:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Super easy choice here, go with Stealth. They make a heavy duty and lighter duty safe. Since price is of consideration I would go with the lighter gauge model:

http://www.deansafe.com/stl-pb-ez.html
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 2:14:03 PM EDT
[#4]
I have Ft. Knox and V-Line and happy with both.
If too pricey, may have to forgo the Simplex.
I have one like THIS, but I think mine is made by Hornady.  Like it so much I got one for my step daughter.
It is keyed, but can still open pretty quick.  Could hide the key somewhere easy to get to, or just put the key in the lock when you go to bed.  Just have to be certain to take it out in the morning.  Not as ideal as a Simplex but could make it work.

Don't worry about how thick the steel is etc. if main issue is keeping it away from your 4 year old.  

I use the above box if traveling/vacation etc so I can lock it away from the kids.

ETA: This is the Hornady one that I have
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 7:39:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Super easy choice here, go with Stealth. They make a heavy duty and lighter duty safe. Since price is of consideration I would go with the lighter gauge model:

http://www.deansafe.com/stl-pb-ez.html
View Quote
The Stealth is an AMSEC box, private labeled.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 10:09:37 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm a big fan of Fort Knox.  In my opinion, it's not that much more to spend on something you will have for a lifetime.

I posted several pics in this thread:

Who makes a great pistol safe for your bedside

I also have a V-Line, which is also very nice.
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 9:36:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Fas1 and Fort Knox are the two I've been wanting, but are out of my budget.
View Quote
You could get lucky

Safe Giveaway

Link Posted: 4/23/2017 2:54:26 AM EDT
[#8]
I have a Fort Knox box inside my safe. I really like it.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 2:55:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Are American Security and Stealth the same?
There 14G pistol boxes are identical..
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 1:32:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Are American Security and Stealth the same?
There 14G pistol boxes are identical..
View Quote
I think Stealth is just a Dean Safe private label. Both are basically a copy of the F.t Knox PB1. A couple different features like a carry handle on those two.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 1:56:55 PM EDT
[#11]
I love my FAS1 suppressed handgun box. would buy again without hesitation. It's pretty stout.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 8:06:46 PM EDT
[#12]
I agree on the fas1. But I think I need more of a do all box in terms of being able to store non firearm items as well....

Just a bit too specific for me right now.
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 12:25:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Hi All,

I've decided to go with a simplex style mechanical lock box.  This is really just for a bedside pistol.  Something to keep the 4 year old out of.
What would be the least expensive brand you would trust? Budget is very tight. Are all "Simplex" locks equal?

Thanks and regards.
View Quote

Quoted:
I agree on the fas1. But I think I need more of a do all box in terms of being able to store non firearm items as well....

Just a bit too specific for me right now.
View Quote
My replies and I think others were based on your OP.  The second quote contradicts it though.

In my handgun safe, I have room for a few spare magazines and one to two additional handguns laying in the bottom and to the side of the primary handgun. Most people want to keep these type of items with their HD gun.

None offer any fire protection so keep that in mind for the other items you want to store. The other consideration is where and how are you going to secure it? Most can only be mounted in one orientation to operate as designed. Any of the Simplex lock safes that meet your requirements will be a good choice and probably last a life time.
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 8:26:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Yes. I guess I really don't know what I want
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 11:53:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Yes. I guess I really don't know what I want
View Quote
Haha! You'll figure it out. Like most, you probably need a couple different safes for different needs.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top