Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/16/2017 4:37:02 PM EDT
So, getting ready to get a Alarm setup going for the house and got a couple questions for people in the know or experience.

Im handy enough on my own and plan on going with a Wired setup as far as sensors and such go, but im not apposed to using wireless component were it might be simpler or more convenient. so whatever main board/controller for the system i end up using id like it to be able to do both.

inside motion sensors. Ive got big dogs. in the 100-130lb range. I also Dog sit my mothers on occasion that are much smaller, 10-20lb. I know the small dogs are not a issue but all the sensors i see are rated for dogs up to 65lb. some up to even 80. i know some of you guys have bigger dogs, what are you using? i know some places say mount the sensor's upside down and that fixes it. Id rather just get a proper sensor if such a thing exists.

I don't have a hardwired land line, but have a IP phone from my modem for my high speed internet.(at&t uverse)  should i go cellular or  just use my ip phone.

Id also like to have multiple arming scenarios (dont know if this is the right terminology) but be able to arm the whole house when were gone, but only arm perimeter sensors and no motion sensors at night when the wife or kids are home alone allowing travel thru the house without setting off the motion alarms.

Also would like to have optional alarm trips to be sent to my phone via txt, email, or whatever app that specific to single sensors that do not set off the homes alarm. trip on my office door opening, water alarm in basement, Liquor cabinet so im guessing something that also works with wifi/internet.

a nice selection of optional sensors like asked about above, water detection, temp detection hi or low (freezing) stuff i haven't thought of.

does anyone know of a wireless sensor that is just a set of dry contacts? ive worked on plc automation so give me some open contacts that i can have access to and i have a catalog of all kinds of sensors/switched/ect i can some up with. make those wireless and now its even more convenient.

im ok with a non monitored system and id prefer to not have to HAVE one to have to be able to use my smart phone to receive messages. But id also like to have the option of a monitoring service for Normal day to day use.

Ive looked a little at honeywells stuff that has been talked about in a cpl threads hear, but the first hurdle is the motion sensors with the DOGS...if i go honeywell is there another brand of sensor that will work with there panels? i thought i read about some new sensors that were made just for pets that used sonar mapping or something but haven't been able to find where i read about them..

And yes i want fries with that. Im not worried about budget so much as this is about my familys safty and im willing to pay for good product especailly if i can get what i want. but im thinking i may not find it..
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 8:31:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Most of the pet free ones basically have a guard where it covers over the sensor for objects close to the ground. Cat on furniture can trip it, let alone a dog.

I highly recommend dual tech motion sensors. I have had PIR only ones get set off from the sun, or from the furnace kicking on. Dual tech reduces that problem a lot. I also suggest configuring the alarm so that it won't go off unless TWO motions trip during a configurable time period. This is often called a cross zone configuration. That drastically cut down my false alarms, but it does require more motion detector coverage for security reasons.

Trying to keep the motion sensors from going tripping with dogs is a challenge. My cat even sets one off once in a while. I think it is an uphill battle there for that. Even with the cross zone feature enabled, if the dog runs through the house your alarm is going off.

My dog stays in his crate when we leave, that way I don't have to worry about it. That was my solution.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 11:37:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Most of the pet free ones basically have a guard where it covers over the sensor for objects close to the ground. Cat on furniture can trip it, let alone a dog.

I highly recommend dual tech motion sensors. I have had PIR only ones get set off from the sun, or from the furnace kicking on. Dual tech reduces that problem a lot. I also suggest configuring the alarm so that it won't go off unless TWO motions trip during a configurable time period. This is often called a cross zone configuration. That drastically cut down my false alarms, but it does require more motion detector coverage for security reasons.

Trying to keep the motion sensors from going tripping with dogs is a challenge. My cat even sets one off once in a while. I think it is an uphill battle there for that. Even with the cross zone feature enabled, if the dog runs through the house your alarm is going off.

My dog stays in his crate when we leave, that way I don't have to worry about it. That was my solution.
View Quote

I've read up on the Dual tech motion sensors, and they defiantly seem worth the money. That is a check mark on the quality list.

Never heard of the term or setting of cross zone configuration. that may be the ticket as my locations for motion sensors is very limited and might actually be able to use this. Thanks Much for this tidbit..

Crating the dogs is not really a option for my big ones as there kind of part an parcel to the home security plan. the little ones when they do visit are room bound or crate bound in the same room so that's really no concern.
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 2:15:22 AM EDT
[#3]
No reason to NOT go wireless. The batteries last up to 5 years.

YMMV but I like BOSCH products.

Bosch B5512 48 Point Panel

Wireless TriTech PIR / Microwave

Wireless Recessed Mount Door / Window Contact

Wireless Surface Mount Door / Window Contact

The Wireless Receiver

Color Touch Screen Keypad

Wireless Glass Break Sensor

Wireless Smoke Detector (Connected to Alarm Panel)

The programming software has a learning curve but you can do it.

For the Dogs? I set the alarm to "perimeter only" when I leave them in the house. Motions are not active.
Same when I am home or sleeping, "perimeter only".

The Bosch phone app is kinda basic but does what I need it to do.
The app turns the alarms on and off. Tells if there is an issue. Can view cameras (Bosch only).
I get email alerts for alarms (not from the app).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top