Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 10:05:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Curious how you guys run your nvrs? Is it better to run on motion detection or 27/7?
I'm running the reolinks and still not sure how long they're recording also the guy at home depot laughed when I told him I wanted cat6 for cameras,  said cat5 was plenty good. What say the hive?
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 10:33:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 11:47:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Curious how you guys run your nvrs? Is it better to run on motion detection or 27/7?
I'm running the reolinks and still not sure how long they're recording also the guy at home depot laughed when I told him I wanted cat6 for cameras,  said cat5 was plenty good. What say the hive?
View Quote

I like continuous recording, but have motion detection marked. That way you can tell if there is a camera outage very quickly, plus pull up any motion. It also helps because you can rewind further than the detected motion and possibly get a better view.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 10:04:51 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm running 4 cameras 24/7 at the highest resolution and frame rate to get the best clarity and getting 5 days worth on my 2tb internal HD.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 10:11:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I'm running 4 cameras 24/7 at the highest resolution and frame rate to get the best clarity and getting 5 days worth on my 2tb internal HD.
View Quote
what do you do when the HD runs out of space?  Does it automatically rinse and repeat? Or do you have to manually erase files?
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 10:13:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
what do you do when the HD runs out of space?  Does it automatically rinse and repeat? Or do you have to manually erase files?
View Quote

I have it setup to overwrite automatically.

Thinking about adding a 2tb external to double capacity.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 10:54:56 AM EDT
[#7]
been looking at the Reolink package, I'm in Ind and we sometimes get below the 14 degrees  Reolink states working range.

What is your experience with this ? what happens in this condition....everything just stops working ?

Like the system but temp thing has me concerned and waiting on a sale too !

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 11:13:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 1:59:02 PM EDT
[#9]
any thoughts on this ReoLink 8 camera, 3tb set-up?  I need to add 2-3 addt'l dome cameras to the system.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01C6KUKMY?tag=vglnk-c102-20

thanks.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 1:28:23 PM EDT
[#10]
For those who are not hell bent on going IP/PoE, Costco has an 8 camera 5MP system with DVR for a pretty solid price ($599 right now).

It's Swann branded. The DVR is a rebadged Hikvision 7208HUHI-F1/N.

The only disadvantageous that I see to this system are:

1. No alarm inputs on the DVR, although there may be alarm headers on the motherboard.
2. No alarm inputs on the cameras.

These negate the use of external PIR (or other type) sensors.

Firmware also is limited to video content analysis on 2 channels for line crossing detection and 1 channel for intrusion detection, although that may be lifted in future firmware (Hikvision removed that limitation in the firmware if you turn off 2k/4k video output).

Swann 4900 w/ 8 x 5MP cameras
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 1:37:37 PM EDT
[#11]
I thought I tagged this...
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 8:55:42 PM EDT
[#12]
OST
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 12:31:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
any thoughts on this ReoLink 8 camera, 3tb set-up?  I need to add 2-3 addt'l dome cameras to the system.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01C6KUKMY?tag=vglnk-c102-20

thanks.
View Quote
Reolink cameras are AMAZING budget cameras.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 8:11:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 10:54:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Mine arrives tomorrow.  
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 8:17:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Mine arrives tomorrow.  
View Quote
You will be happy. And software is easy too.
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 10:19:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

You will be happy. And software is easy too.
View Quote
I cannot believe how easy it was.  Software was a cinch to get setup and networked. Cameras and DVR are great.  I'm very impressed so far.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 3:04:41 PM EDT
[#18]
If anyone is still on the fence, time to jump, on sale, only the 4 bullet model, I got the two and two setup, love it so far, 6 months in.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01AHXEHSU?tag=vglnk-c102-20
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 3:27:20 PM EDT
[#19]
I bought the 8 camera Reolink on Amazon when it dropped to $799.  I have the cameras mounted and wires hooked and ran to a center spot but haven't hooked them to the box yet.  Hope it all goes well when I finally do.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 10:16:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Is there a difference in quality as far as the bullet or dome camera?

I'm looking at buying one of the Reolink systems and I prefer the dome look to put on the outside eves of the house.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 7:18:32 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 2:22:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Is there a difference in quality as far as the bullet or dome camera?

I'm looking at buying one of the Reolink systems and I prefer the dome look to put on the outside eves of the house.
View Quote
Both are listed as indoor/outdoor, the picture on my 48" LCD they are displayed on look identical.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 10:09:10 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I bought the 8 camera Reolink on Amazon when it dropped to $799.  I have the cameras mounted and wires hooked and ran to a center spot but haven't hooked them to the box yet.  Hope it all goes well when I finally do.
View Quote
quick ?, I just ordered the 8-camera set-up.  do u need a seperate power connection for EVERY camera thats set up?  or does it receive power from the CAT6 cable?   if each camera needs its own power line connected, wtf do u do when there is no outlet for at least 20-30 feet?
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 10:48:38 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

quick ?, I just ordered the 8-camera set-up.  do u need a seperate power connection for EVERY camera thats set up?  or does it receive power from the CAT6 cable?   if each camera needs its own power line connected, wtf do u do when there is no outlet for at least 20-30 feet?
View Quote
POE = Power Over Ethernet
So you power will come from the Cat6 Cable (Nothing Else to Buy)
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 11:27:59 AM EDT
[#25]
I bought the the 8 cam/16 channel package. Holy shit, the video and audio quality is beyond amazing. The recorded videos I'm pulling as tests are some of the best quality I've seen from a camera.

I do have two questions. First, anyone upgrade to a second HDD? They claim for my NVR, a second HDD can be added internally. Wondered if anyone has, and if so, how big was the second drive? Was it plug and play?

Second, anyone do the NVR firmware? Mine is still going after 55 min. Still in the caution window. Wondered if anyone else could tell me how long it took?

Update to the firmware, it ended up bricking my system. Their tech support sucks. Everything is in China, have to wait forever to get a response.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 9:43:44 PM EDT
[#26]
I'm not sure how long the current sale is in effect, but I just bought a RLC-423 PTZ camera for the same price I saw back on New Years

I also bought a vertical mount bracket for it. My plan is to mount it under a corner roof eave which would allow a 270 degree viewing radius.

I've been wanting to try one of these out for a while.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 11:18:27 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I like continuous recording, but have motion detection marked. That way you can tell if there is a camera outage very quickly, plus pull up any motion. It also helps because you can rewind further than the detected motion and possibly get a better view.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

When you have it set to record 24/7 how to you also set the motion detection?
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 5:58:47 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
maybe i need to be more specific... Is there a way on the Reolink NVR to have it record 24/7 and also show when motion is detected on the  desktop app?
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 7:32:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
maybe i need to be more specific... Is there a way on the Reolink NVR to have it record 24/7 and also show when motion is detected on the  desktop app?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't know about desktop.  But mine records 24/7 and sends me motion detection pics to my phone/email. If that's what you are talking about. Then yes. It's in the main settings.

Just looked. You can do it all from the phone app.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:31:17 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Cat5 is plenty good for cameras, but cat6 provides upgrade room.
View Quote
TheGrayMan...I am in the process of building a house and we had Cat5 pulled to every room plus 4 exterior locations for cameras....can I send you the wquote for camera hardware I got...would be curious to see if a reolink system will work.   IM for an email address.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:35:08 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:41:14 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Someone stole my trailer from the side of my house yesterday. 

So, that means it's past time for a system. The reolink looks good. Can anyone tell me if the cameras have aluminum or plastic housings? Is the lense glass? The AZ sunshine isn't too friendly to plastic things.
View Quote
I have them here in AZ and they seem to be holding up well. The housing is metal. Not sure about the lens but have had for a year west side facing and they are holding up perfectly.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 9:00:10 AM EDT
[#33]
What do you think of painting the camera housings? I want the cameras to blend in more to the house. Thinking the spray paint made for plastics.

Obviously I will have to tape off any lens and sensor areas.

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 4:48:49 PM EDT
[#34]
I'm almost positive it's a metal housing
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 11:56:05 PM EDT
[#35]
Thanks for starting this thread OP. There was a quadruple homacide about 30min from the house we're building with no leads or suspects. It really terrifies my wife so we are going to add the Reolink system to our new house we are building.

I do have a question though. Does anyone know if it's possible to log into the NVR/DVR from the internet somehow? For instance, does anyone use port forwarding with the setup so you can check all of your cameras from any computer with internet access? Is it better/faster to just use the phone app?
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 1:51:33 AM EDT
[#36]
Setup my Reolink system. Had an issue with my first NVR, Reolink exchanged the entire system for a new one. This one works perfectly. Very pleased with the software and the system itself. Noticeably better IR over my older Q-SEE system.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 12:11:33 PM EDT
[#37]
anyone have pics of their camera installs against the siding?   Are u using a box to mount it on?  How are you hiding the (2) other cable connectors (not CAT6) that are NOT in use?   -thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 7:46:05 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
anyone have pics of their camera installs against the siding?   Are u using a box to mount it on?  How are you hiding the (2) other cable connectors (not CAT6) that are NOT in use?   -thanks in advance.
View Quote
I don't have siding. I just cut a 2x4 and screwed it to the end of the trusses. Drilled a hole in the metal and 2x4 and mounted. Each camera took about 15-20min.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 7:53:39 PM EDT
[#39]
This thread may soon be relevant to my interests
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 4:43:15 PM EDT
[#40]
my install is going in this weekend. I think I may end up with 10 cameras!
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 10:42:04 PM EDT
[#41]
You guys who bought the reolink system, what was the best price you found.  I'm at $407 ish for the 4 camera/2 tb sys,   if I apply for the Amazon credit card
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 3:50:18 PM EDT
[#42]
I paid $799 for the (8) camera setup.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 4:46:00 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
You guys who bought the reolink system, what was the best price you found.  I'm at $407 ish for the 4 camera/2 tb sys,   if I apply for the Amazon credit card
View Quote
I think $459 is the lowest it has sold without any credits from Amazon
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 7:12:59 PM EDT
[#44]
I'm also looking at this system. I will start with the 4 camera system and add cameras at a later date. This will be for my residence in Florida about 2 blocks from the ocean. My question should I get the dome or the bullet type cameras? I have been looking for a system for quite awhile. Is this one of the best systems of late?
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 7:53:46 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I'm also looking at this system. I will start with the 4 camera system and add cameras at a later date. This will be for my residence in Florida about 2 blocks from the ocean. My question should I get the dome or the bullet type cameras? I have been looking for a system for quite awhile. Is this one of the best systems of late?
View Quote
Best?  Or value?
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 4:18:14 AM EDT
[#46]
1.Value
2. Best
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 4:39:11 AM EDT
[#47]
A security guy told me that I need a static IP address.  It is currently dynamic.  This costs an extra $20/mo from my ISP.  Is this the case with the systems that are being discussed here?
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 10:31:55 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote
I asked this a while back and was told they are basically the same as far as picture quality.  The only difference is the bullet camera has a built in as card slot in case if you were going to use it as a standalone camera.  

I plan on getting the 2 dome and 2 bullet combo
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 12:47:26 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 8:40:48 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote
I paid $439 for the 4 camera/2TB system, but I think it was a Christmas deal or something.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top