Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/3/2016 11:09:29 PM EDT
I can't believe that this doesn't have its own sticky on here but I'll ask anyway.

I installed new doors and windows in the whole entire house a year or two ago, and cut all the old hard wired alarm wires while in the process. The house doesn't have a hard phone line. Also, when I put a new roof on a year ago they put on that tin foil tyvek shit that essentially turned the entire house into a cell signal proof Faraday cage.

I'm looking for a wireless house alarm that I can install myself and that uses cellular service which I can get on a monthly / yearly basis for cheap.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 11:11:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 8:56:22 AM EDT
[#2]
2gig is what I am looking to get after doing a lot of research.  I did look at simplisafe but the keypad does not use encrypted signals when communicating to the base station.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 10:01:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 11:36:29 AM EDT
[#4]
A Honeywell Lyric controller with SiX encrypted sensors is what I'm looking to use. One of the guys in a recent thread here installed the Lyric and reported back. Seemed pretty good to go.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 11:37:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

The Lynx has been outdone by the newer Lyric which accepts encrypted sensors.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 10:47:12 AM EDT
[#6]
I just installed the Honeywell Lyric in my house. After all the research it seems the Lyric has the most encryption technology between the panel and the sensors.

So far I've added 9 door sensors, 3 glass breaks, 4 motions. Install and programming is super easy. I'm still learning the system but so far it works as advertised and will be very easy to add onto. I'm looking to add a couple more motions, some water sensors downstairs, a driveway alarm, the options are limitless.

I ordered from alarmgrid and the people there are very good at walking you through the activation and setup. LINK

As far as cellular signal goes, most of these panels have an access port for a cellular antenna. Perhaps you can run an antenna up inside the wall and up to a peak in the attic to get a signal. Perhaps out one of the eves mounted discretely.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 5:39:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Does anyone have any thoughts or experience on Fortress Security?

Fortress Security

It seems like a nice system, supports both landlines and cellular, no monthly fees, decent amount of sensors.

One thing I have wondered about these kinds of systems is how to protect the base station?  I figure I would mount it near the exit to the garage but what keeps someone from just ripping it from the wall and smashing the hell out of it before it can dial out?

Link Posted: 12/6/2016 6:00:18 PM EDT
[#8]
I am looking for a new system also.
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 8:52:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
One thing I have wondered about these kinds of systems is how to protect the base station?  I figure I would mount it near the exit to the garage but what keeps someone from just ripping it from the wall and smashing the hell out of it before it can dial out?
View Quote

Fortress, 2GIG, Honeywell Lyric/Lynx, and Simplisafe are the majors that get bounced around here. My feelings are that Simplisafe was one of the first to market and has a large advertising push, but they're not the best. I'm personally leaning toward Honeywell due to encrypted sensors, large range of sensor choices, and Honeywell's name to back it up.

As for smashing the control panel, that's why you don't mount the control panel right near an entrance. I would mount the control panel somewhere centrally in the house where a burglar would need to take a minute or two to get there and find it. I'm planning to put the control panel in my main hallway with my thermostat and use wireless keypads near the doors.
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 12:44:20 PM EDT
[#10]

Thanks.  I guess that makes those stickers the mfrs give that say 'This house is protected by xxxxxx security' kind of a foolish thing to put in your window?

That would give a thief a heads up that they should look for a base station somewhere in the house and gives them somewhat of an advantage?

Link Posted: 12/7/2016 1:26:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Fortress, 2GIG, Honeywell Lyric/Lynx, and Simplisafe are the majors that get bounced around here. My feelings are that Simplisafe was one of the first to market and has a large advertising push, but they're not the best. I'm personally leaning toward Honeywell due to encrypted sensors, large range of sensor choices, and Honeywell's name to back it up.

As for smashing the control panel, that's why you don't mount the control panel right near an entrance. I would mount the control panel somewhere centrally in the house where a burglar would need to take a minute or two to get there and find it. I'm planning to put the control panel in my main hallway with my thermostat and use wireless keypads near the doors.
View Quote

Actually, a lot of the wireless controllers have a feature called "crash and smash protection". What this does is send an alarm activation signal the second a sensor is activated. When the alarm is disabled with the code the alarm is cancelled,  but if a burglar smashes the controller and no disable code is entered the alarm is transmitted to whoever is monitoring the system, regardless of the condition of the controller at that moment. If you have a controller without the crash and smash feature, yeah you're screwed.
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 2:26:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Actually, a lot of the wireless controllers have a feature called "crash and smash protection". What this does is send an alarm activation signal the second a sensor is activated. When the alarm is disabled with the code the alarm is cancelled,  but if a burglar smashes the controller and no disable code is entered the alarm is transmitted to whoever is monitoring the system, regardless of the condition of the controller at that moment. If you have a controller without the crash and smash feature, yeah you're screwed.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yea, that's true. Some of them actually even have sensors in the control panel that alarm if some tries to open the control panel and tamper with it.
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 9:44:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Thanks.  I guess that makes those stickers the mfrs give that say 'This house is protected by xxxxxx security' kind of a foolish thing to put in your window?

That would give a thief a heads up that they should look for a base station somewhere in the house and gives them somewhat of an advantage?
View Quote

Buy stickers from another alarm company that uses a different type system than the one you have. i.e. cell vs landline
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top