Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/2/2016 3:44:31 PM EDT
I currently have a NVR with 4 IP cameras. The current cameras are 720P. I would like to upgrade the cameras one at a time. I plan to buy a camera from Nelly's and I am looking at the H-Series line (Hikvision.)

I am thinking of going with a 2MP camera. Should I go larger? I don't want to limit my recording capacity any more than necessary.

I will be monitoring a parking lot with the camera.

Thanks for your input.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 3:48:27 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a QSee NVR. I just looked on the box and it says the NVR records in 720P and 1080P so it looks like I am going to be limited to using a 2MP camera.

Any other considerations like upgrading the NVR to accommodate a higher resolution camera?
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 11:51:51 AM EDT
[#2]
I would say for up close (front door) lower res would allow ID of a person's face etc.
If you are looking at a parking lot, higher resolution would be needed.  the longer the distance the more resolution I would want.  It would give you better ability to zoom on images to read license plate numbers, hopefully ID faces etc.

I know there are some site/links where people show various levels of resolution, particularly in reading license plates etc.  I'd look into that, and figure out what distances you are looking at.

More resolution is better.  But also costs more and will limit storage space.

Personally, I hate when you see security cam footage on the news and it is so grainy that there is no way you could recognize someone.  I think the goal should be to allow the police to ID a car/person and make an arrest if there is a crime (so I would say go 3-4MP)...  Really all comes down to budget.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top