Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/30/2016 6:36:24 PM EDT
I've been on the hunt for a safe for out second home. This home is in another state, but in a generally low crime area. That being said, the home is still vacant more than it is occupied. My plan is to move some of my gun there. I've found in my budget a smaller 60"x18"x18" safe on Craigslist or I have a rain check for one of the Winchester TS-22-BLK from Tractor Supply for $499 (I can also get one of the $599 Big Horn safes from Costco). The smaller safe is a Sun Welding Pony Express with 1/4" door and 10G body. How many rifles can I really fit in a 18"x18" safe (really on 11" deep after door is closed)? If we eventually move to this house permanently (years down the road) I will bring my larger well built older Cannon C38 safe. Opinions on which way I should go? How crappy are the big box store safes?

Link to small safe

Winchester Safe

Big Horn Safe

Link Posted: 11/30/2016 6:43:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Remember that a safe is automatically too small by 50% as soon as it is positioned in your house. Get as much safe as you can afford relative to the value of the guns stored therein. IE ya don't need a $2500 safe for $700-$800 worth of guns.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 8:08:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Remember that a safe is automatically too small by 50% as soon as it is positioned in your house. Get as much safe as you can afford relative to the value of the guns stored therein. IE ya don't need a $2500 safe for $700-$800 worth of guns.
View Quote

You might need the $2500 safe if you want to keep the $700-$800 worth of guns.
Dennis
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 9:34:20 PM EDT
[#3]
If it were me I would get a better safe than what you already have and move the old one there.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 1:04:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Sounds like this house is located in an area where the other homes in the area are also mostly unoccupied.  It is rural with neighbors a ways off?

I don't think a cheap safe will give much protection if thieves are comfortable staying on site for an extended period of time.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 5:59:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sounds like this house is located in an area where the other homes in the area are also mostly unoccupied.  It is rural with neighbors a ways off?

I don't think a cheap safe will give much protection if thieves are comfortable staying on site for an extended period of time.
View Quote

Nah, it's in LHC ....... I ended up picking up an older Canon T-27 for cheap and moved it there.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top