Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/28/2016 6:03:50 PM EDT
Anyone have any info and/or experience on this?

I'm getting ready to order a BF series and I saw this as an option. On my Cannon safe that I am replacing, I am currently using an S&G group 2 lock that I installed myself and its been great. Looks solid and feels solid.

My only concern is that from pictures it looks like a piece of crap. It looks cheap and I can only assume it will feel cheap. I see the Electronic pad is UL group 1 rated but what about the mechanical one? I don't see any information on it. It's a total bummer that it looks like crap, but I can live with it if it actually functions well and is UL rated.

Lastly, if I end up not liking it, how easy is it to replace with a normal s&g. Is it as easy as taking this one out and putting the new s&g in? Will there be any remaining visible evidence left on the outside of the safe after swapping?
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 7:15:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Anyone have any info and/or experience on this?

I'm getting ready to order a BF series and I saw this as an option. On my Cannon safe that I am replacing, I am currently using an S&G group 2 lock that I installed myself and its been great. Looks solid and feels solid.

My only concern is that from pictures it looks like a piece of crap. It looks cheap and I can only assume it will feel cheap. I see the Electronic pad is UL group 1 rated but what about the mechanical one? I don't see any information on it. It's a total bummer that it looks like crap, but I can live with it if it actually functions well and is UL rated.

Lastly, if I end up not liking it, how easy is it to replace with a normal s&g. Is it as easy as taking this one out and putting the new s&g in? Will there be any remaining visible evidence left on the outside of the safe after swapping?
View Quote

Talked to the safe dealer I will most likely be buying from and he strongly recommended against the Duo. He said he has seen alot of issues with them and to either go with the mechanical or electronic one.
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 10:35:19 PM EDT
[#2]
I can't locate the data I had on that lock. If memory serves it is the Lagard redundant mechanical reincarnated (the original LaGard redundant lock was discontinued for some reason). The mechanical portion of the lock used to be a Group 1, but I believe the new version is a Group 2. It it is pretty much the same lock as the old Group 1 was, but the Group 1 standards have changed so it is now a Group 2. The old design was 'grandfathered' as a group 1.

Amsec sells it with the plastic plate so that you don't need to drill extra holes in the door.

Hopefully someone else can respond, as this is just from my memory at the moment.
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 2:46:20 PM EDT
[#3]
The lock you are referring to is the NL Locks Redundant Lock. It is almost identical to the LaGard redundant lock internally. The wide oval "escutcheon" plate allows the input pad to be mounted without the need to drill the secondary lock spindle hole in the door.

" />
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 4:01:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The lock you are referring to is the NL Locks Redundant Lock. It is almost identical to the LaGard redundant lock internally. The wide oval "escutcheon" plate allows the input pad to be mounted without the need to drill the secondary lock spindle hole in the door.

http://<a href=http://i1363.photobucket.com/albums/r703/TheSafeGuy/Duo_zps3699701e.jpg</a>" />
View Quote

I decided to go with just a mechanical dial. I did have 2 questions for you.

1. Have you heard or seen any evidence that substantiates what my dealer said about them. He said they have seen alot more issues with them than just an electronic lock or mechanical lock. So much so, that he strongly discourages them.

2. If I decide to try it out at a future time. IS it possible to retrofit? How easy of an install is it. I installed an s&g mechanical lock on my previous safe, any harder than this?

Thanks
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 11:28:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:1. Have you heard or seen any evidence that substantiates what my dealer said about them. He said they have seen alot more issues with them than just an electronic lock or mechanical lock. So much so, that he strongly discourages them.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:1. Have you heard or seen any evidence that substantiates what my dealer said about them. He said they have seen alot more issues with them than just an electronic lock or mechanical lock. So much so, that he strongly discourages them.

I don't want to throw anyone under the bus, but it's true that the redundant locks have been less than perfect. Let me put it this way, there isn't one on any of my safes...

2. If I decide to try it out at a future time. IS it possible to retrofit? How easy of an install is it. I installed an s&g mechanical lock on my previous safe, any harder than this?

Yes, you can swap it out, and it's not terribly difficult. However, as I always say, if you have a Safe Tech or Locksmith do the install, they will back you up if you have a lockout. If you install it, and it fails, you're on your own...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top