Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/27/2016 6:42:31 AM EDT
Anyone around here have the same problem? Can not see in the safe very well and Did a DIY Lighting solution?

I like the idea of strip LEDs, and a motion sensor to turn on and off the lights. I have 3 outlets inside so the rod for one, and the other 2 are open.

So what is your solution?
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 9:04:52 AM EDT
[#2]
I went to Lowe's and grabbed 2 of the flexible adhesive backed LED strips, about 18" I believe. One at the top edge of the doorframe facing back, and one under the shelf facing down is plenty of light for me! I went 110v for mine, I hate using battery powered stuff where you don't have to. I didn't use a motion switch, I just mounted the switch on the side between the upper shelf and the top of the "gun rack" shelf. Easy to hit the switch when you want light.
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 10:39:11 AM EDT
[#3]
I highly recommend these at amazon.  I installed them yesterday and it's way better than amsecs version at the fraction of the cost.
I'll try and post pics later. The motion sensor works great
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01FHNJUGO/ref=ya_aw_oh_bia_dp?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B013ECU460/ref=ya_aw_oh_bia_dp?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 10:53:31 AM EDT
[#4]
I would go on Amazon, order a 15' roll of adhesive backed led strip and a 12vdc power supply.  About 25.00 shipped.   See if they have a 12 v motion switch or buy the 12v remote control switch for 6 bucks.

Peel and stick the whole strip up one side, top and down the other.  Lit up like a homeless guy who just found a 100.00

Test all the components before install, just in case.
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 11:15:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I highly recommend these at amazon.  I installed them yesterday and it's way better than amsecs version at the fraction of the cost.
I'll try and post pics later. The motion sensor works great
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01FHNJUGO/ref=ya_aw_oh_bia_dp?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B013ECU460/ref=ya_aw_oh_bia_dp?ie=UTF8&psc=1
View Quote

I like that sensor.  The chicoms kick our ass with this cheap 12v stuff.
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 1:33:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Thank you Everyone.

Order placed with Amazon.

$25 ish bucks sure beats $75-$150 for a set of lights.

Link Posted: 11/28/2016 10:09:44 AM EDT
[#7]
My safe came with a motion sensor that was annoying when new since it would only stay lit maybe 4-5 minutes.  When I put my dehumidifier in it would only stay on 30 seconds or so which really pissed me off.  I wound up going with a magnetic switch to turn the lights on/off automatically.
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 9:10:19 AM EDT
[#8]
I used fluorescent, linkable lights like THIS

You can plug into your outlet, and then link as many as you need I have one up top, and then one on the undersurface of each shelf.
Pretty sure with the link switching on the first one will turn them all on.  I wired up a regular light switch and just turn on/off the outlet (have always on outlet for my goldenrod).

The strip lights are cheaper...
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 6:13:35 PM EDT
[#9]
My safe came with LED lights which ran off a motion sensor but it drove me crazy because it would turn off whenever I stood there drooling over my guns.  I wound up buying the 16' LED strip on Amazon with power supply, a magnetic switch and some jumper connectors for about $30.  The strip was cut into four lengths and connected with the jumpers then put along the inner door frame including the top, bottom and sides.  Now I can see everything in the safe and the top shelf is a great spot for taking photos of my handguns.
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 8:14:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
My safe came with LED lights which ran off a motion sensor but it drove me crazy because it would turn off whenever I stood there drooling over my guns.  I wound up buying the 16' LED strip on Amazon with power supply, a magnetic switch and some jumper connectors for about $30.  The strip was cut into four lengths and connected with the jumpers then put along the inner door frame including the top, bottom and sides.  Now I can see everything in the safe and the top shelf is a great spot for taking photos of my handguns.
View Quote

That's what I'm going to do.  But I'll get several of the mag switches and put LED strips in some dark closets too.
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 9:27:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Home Depot;

Feit Electric
2 ft. 2-Light LED Utility Shop Light

30 bucks 1600 lumens, bright enough to blind you, velcro and/or magnet for the end pieces, sticks to door/side as needed to see, uses a rocker switch. Using this as a trouble light set up vs. in the safe.
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 7:34:23 PM EDT
[#12]
I ordered the light kit and sensor posted above and as of now I just installed and I am happy with the lights just not the sensor I need to see if I can tweek it to work correctly
Link Posted: 12/28/2016 10:52:28 PM EDT
[#13]
I used a 110 volt closet door switch that powers a recepticle in the safe than i plugged 2 led rope lights into it. The switch turns the lights off or on automatically when you open and close the door. It works great.
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 8:56:42 PM EDT
[#14]

I used these. It was a recommendation a while back from someone on here. It has a magnetic back. I put them on the inside edge of my door and they face the safe. I put one up high and one about midway to low. Works great for like $11 each

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0192AHH3G/ref=ya_aw_od_pi?ie=UTF8&psc=1&tag=vglnk-c102-20
Link Posted: 12/30/2016 12:55:11 AM EDT
[#15]
From another thread. 

I ordered some parts for my DIY lighting kit and should have them here this week. 

Since im using a 4.2AH cell phone battery pack I ended up getting two 6' long 5V LED light strips with male-USB plug ends for $16 and a 4 port USB hub with individually selectable power switches for each port for $7. 

I wont have instant on when I open the safe but this was far cheaper and easier to accomplish a battery powered safe lighting solution. Will post pics when I get it installed and my office/safe cleaned up. It's a mess right now 

ETA:  Here's what I ordered

USB hub with switches $6.89 (prime eligible)

6' long 5v USB powered LED light strip $8.20 (prime eligible)

ETA2: got the lights in today. They come with an adhesive backing. I cut small strips of sticky back Velcro and stuck them to each other. Popped the lights in the safe just to see if it would be enough light and two strips are perfect. the hub/switch should arrive tomorrow so I'll know if this setup is perfect or not. 

ETA3: My battery pack has an auto off feature which isn't keeping the hub active.  Looking into how to trick it into staying on or putting a USB powered temp/humidity recorder in there to keep it "awake"
Link Posted: 12/30/2016 1:47:26 AM EDT
[#16]
I hot glued Amazon white LED sealed strip lights to the bottom of each shelf.  I soldered the leads, did the math, and hooked them to the appropriate wattage power supply.  I use a wireless pushbutton Christmas tree remote to turn on the power supply. I have the same setup across my patio on a dimmer.  They are too bright for night use on a patio for just ambient lighting, they require that dimmer. 

These run cold and are very safe.  Cheap.  They have already outlived rope lights. 
Link Posted: 1/3/2017 3:13:51 PM EDT
[#17]
will a golden rod affect the motion sensor if it's infrared?
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 5:27:48 PM EDT
[#18]
i bought this

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FDAFC3Q/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1&tag=vglnk-c102-20

it was about $40 on sale. i attached them with thin velcro zip ties i use to bind cable in desktop pcs (buy at lowes for like $6). the strips attach perfectly to the carpet in the safe, and the motion sensor is mounted in the front hinge side. everything works perfectly at about half the cost of the official solutions. i'm really happy with it and it's very professional looking
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 7:28:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
i bought this

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FDAFC3Q/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&&tag=vglnk-c102-20;psc=1&tag=vglnk-c102-20

it was about $40 on sale. i attached them with thin velcro zip ties i use to bind cable in desktop pcs (buy at lowes for like $6). the strips attach perfectly to the carpet in the safe, and the motion sensor is mounted in the front hinge side. everything works perfectly at about half the cost of the official solutions. i'm really happy with it and it's very professional looking
View Quote

I just installed these same sets in mine, except I used small #6 x 5/8" screws to attach the LED strips at each end. They work really well - highly recommended. I am running (10) strips off one power supply/motion sensor. There are (2) output leads on the motion sensor - I have (5) strips on each side.

Link Posted: 1/28/2017 7:19:15 PM EDT
[#20]
i used the adhesive LED strip kits from Lowe's.  they are very easy to install and link together well.  

I didn't bother with the pressure/door open switch.  are you really going in the gun safe so frequently you need to bother with this type of switch, rather than just using the existing toggle switches that come with the kits?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top