Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/23/2016 10:27:07 AM EDT
The thread title pretty much sums it up.  This is the system that was installed when the house was built.  Is there anything I need to watch out for if I do this?  I will cut power and disconnect the back-up battery to the alarm first.  Thanks!

Link Posted: 11/23/2016 10:33:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
The thread title pretty much sums it up.  This is the system that was installed when the house was built.  Is there anything I need to watch out for if I do this?  I will cut power and disconnect the back-up battery to the alarm first.  Thanks!

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h137/sporty79/Mobile%20Uploads/20161123_083038.jpg
View Quote

You shouldn't even need to cut the power to the alarm. Hard to see in the hole for sure, but it doesn't look like that is using any EOL resistors, so you should be able to disconnect the sensor and then twist the wires together until you are ready to reinstall the sensor.That way the zone will be 'closed' while you are working in case you need to alarm the house and leave. If you are doing it all in one shot, then you can skip that step and just cut  the wires, replace the door, and then reinstall.

---Aaron

Link Posted: 11/23/2016 10:36:25 AM EDT
[#2]
From the looks of your pic, I would say yes. Need more details. If it is an open/closed circuit, you should be able to cut the wire.
I would solder when you reattach and use heat shrink to protect the wires.

Edit: I am only familiar with alarm sensors in telecom industry setting.
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 10:48:02 AM EDT
[#3]
there's only 2 wires. pretty simple.
Do it!
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 10:49:18 AM EDT
[#4]
I replaced the front door in my house with a door sensor similar to yours. I didn't cut the power at the fuse box. I just disconnected the sensor, pushed the wire in, removed the door frame, drilled a hole in the new door frame in the same place, put the new door in place, fed the wire through the hole since you should be able ti see and touch it with the moulding off, reconnect the sensor, and push the sensor into the hole.

Note, disconnection and reconnection involved pulling out the sensor, cutting the wires with a wire cutter, and reconnection was done by stripping wire casing off the ends, and connecting with crimping tools. I guess you can solder the ends too.
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 11:52:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks guys.  I figured it was just that simple, but wanted to confirm before I cut anything.  I'm not exactly sure what those two crimp/connector/heat shrink pieces are in the picture.  I can't pull them any further out of the hole with the door frame in place, and wanted to make sure they weren't resistors.
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 7:28:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Those connectors look like the same ones they used a my house. Appears to be just a connector to splice the sensor to the hardwire in the walls.

All my resistors were spliced in at the main control where the wire terminates.
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 8:37:20 PM EDT
[#7]
I always love it when installers put the EoL resistors in the panel instead of where they belong...at the end of the line. Might as well not use them at all if they just get put in the panel.

Link Posted: 11/29/2016 8:42:33 PM EDT
[#8]
I see some dolphins in the hole.  Get 2 more of those, then pull the wire out further, cut at dolphins (They are junky security guy version of wire nuts) and then use new dolphins to reconnect (You just shove the stripped wires in and squeeze it with some pliers)  I think some of them you don't even have to strip the wires.

Anyway, you can do this very easy.  As a fun test of your system, you should cut the wires without letting the monitoring company know what you are doing, to see what they do.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top