Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/1/2016 10:20:06 PM EDT
Ms paint inbound.
Need some good quality but not break the bank.

Looking for some good ip cameras and nvr. NOT looking to use a computer to record or anything like that. Maybe later but not now. I have read a lot if not all the stickys, but I am  confused as ever. Sorry not real advanced on this kind of thing.

I have no problem pulling cat 5 through the attic. Want something relatively simple to use and connect to the Internet and be able to see it on my phone , tv , computer etc...
I have looked at nellys nvrs and also the h branded hikvision cameras they have. Not sure on types of cameras to get though. And do I need a poe as well as an nvr or will I be able to plug in 8 cables directly to the nvr? Tried getting a better picture of the rear of the nvr to see the ports but can't tell.
OK so here is what I need covered.
" />
" />

Link Posted: 11/1/2016 10:23:17 PM EDT
[#1]
For reference,  it is 122 ft from edge of garage on right to far left of house.
Link Posted: 11/1/2016 10:38:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Make sure the NVR has enough POE ports for all your cameras or you will need to add in a POE switch to supply power to your cameras.  Some NVRs don't have POE on all the ports.

For camera selection, you can check it out examples here: https://ipvm.com/calculator  From what I have researched, you will need 40 ppf resolution to read license plates.
Link Posted: 11/1/2016 10:42:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Here is one idea I had.
" />
Link Posted: 11/2/2016 3:32:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Make sure the NVR has enough POE ports for all your cameras or you will need to add in a POE switch to supply power to your cameras.  Some NVRs don't have POE on all the ports.

For camera selection, you can check it out examples here: https://ipvm.com/calculator  From what I have researched, you will need 40 ppf resolution to read license plates.
View Quote

Ok thanks.

So the $69 nvr at nellys doesn't have built in poe ?

Can't see where it says one way or the other.
Link Posted: 11/2/2016 4:37:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Ok thanks.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok thanks.

Assume you mean this one?  http://www.nellyssecurity.com/recorders/nvrs/ion-series-ion-nvr-8-8-channel-1080p-hi-def-mini-nvr-for-ip-cameras-636.html

Looks like it only has one ethernet port on it so, no it will not have POE built in.  You will either need a POE injector or choose a different NVR that has POE built in.

ETA: couldn't load your last picture on the computer at work.  Keep in mind your FOV will be limited based on the lens.  The wider the FOV, the less distance you will be able to view with any degree of resolution.
Link Posted: 11/3/2016 7:55:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Assume you mean this one?  http://www.nellyssecurity.com/recorders/nvrs/ion-series-ion-nvr-8-8-channel-1080p-hi-def-mini-nvr-for-ip-cameras-636.html

Looks like it only has one ethernet port on it so, no it will not have POE built in.  You will either need a POE injector or choose a different NVR that has POE built in.

ETA: couldn't load your last picture on the computer at work.  Keep in mind your FOV will be limited based on the lens.  The wider the FOV, the less distance you will be able to view with any degree of resolution.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok thanks.

That $69 NVR is being discontinued. Not sure I'd want to buy a product that's already at the end of its life. Also, it doesn't include the hard drive for video storage. That's another $100+. And it doesn't have POE. You'll need a POE switch, or a standard switch and a bunch of POE injectors.

Here is the cheapest NVR Nelly's offers that isn't being discontinued and also include POE built-in. It's $299, but still doesn't include a hard drive for video storage. Factor at least another $100+ depending on how much video you'd like to store.
Link Posted: 11/3/2016 11:25:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

That $69 NVR is being discontinued. Not sure I'd want to buy a product that's already at the end of its life. Also, it doesn't include the hard drive for video storage. That's another $100+. And it doesn't have POE. You'll need a POE switch, or a standard switch and a bunch of POE injectors.

Here is the cheapest NVR Nelly's offers that isn't being discontinued and also include POE built-in. It's $299, but still doesn't include a hard drive for video storage. Factor at least another $100+ depending on how much video you'd like to store.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok thanks.

I was looking at that too. LOOKS like it uses 2 hdd. SO does it have to have 2 hdd or can you use 1hdd ?

And how much hdd do I even need?
Link Posted: 11/3/2016 12:36:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I was looking at that too. LOOKS like it uses 2 hdd. SO does it have to have 2 hdd or can you use 1hdd ?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok thanks.

Should run with one HDD.  As for size, you will need to read the specs for what is the max size the NVR will run.  Also you can use this calculator to get a rough estimate per camera. https://www.aventuracctv.com/calculator/hard_drive_calculator.asp
Link Posted: 11/3/2016 1:36:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok thanks.

Like explorecaves said, the NVR should run with just one hard drive. The one I linked says it supports up to 4TB. Newegg has some WD Purple drives for about $150 for 4TB. Slightly cheaper than Nelly's, and you now what brand you're getting.

Here is a slightly less complicated storage space calculator. The space required depends on the file format, bit rate, frame rate, number of cameras, recording hours per day, and number of days until it's written over.

Per your paint image, 7 cameras you can record at 3MP for 24 hours per day for 7 days for about 4TB.
Link Posted: 11/6/2016 11:52:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for all the feedback guys, it is appreciated .

I figure I'm going with the hikvision nvr and 4mp bullets and domes from nellys.

I have ready ran 8 runs of cat 6 with the two farthest at about 100 ft plus.

I have one other run though that is in question to whether it will work correctly .

In my ignorance a few years ago I installed an electric gate for the driveway.  THE gate is about 225 ft from the house at the road. When I ran the electric for the gate, I stuffed in some cat 5e in the same conduit . will having the cat 5e in the electrical conduit going to disrupt my video signal?

I guess I can at least try it maybe , before trenching again.

What do yall think?

Thanks
Link Posted: 11/6/2016 11:59:05 PM EDT
[#11]
120VAC can have an effect on Ethernet signals. However, since it's already in place, try it first. It won't harm anything to try it. Worst case is that you'll get poor/no signal. If that's the case, then you can run a new line.
Link Posted: 11/14/2016 11:12:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Just bought three 5mp h series bullet, and two 5mp domes, along with a 16 ch poe nvr.
Got it all from nellys.

Eventually I'll have about 10 cameras maybe more if I do inside garage and house. Also may put one way in the back of the property too.
Link Posted: 11/14/2016 6:35:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Just bought three 5mp h series bullet, and two 5mp domes, along with a 16 ch poe nvr.
Got it all from nellys.

Eventually I'll have about 10 cameras maybe more if I do inside garage and house. Also may put one way in the back of the property too.
View Quote

Which ones did you get?
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 5:45:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Nsc 205 bt bullets and Nsc 215 bm domes.

Also want to get the type with a microphone built in for the side and front doors.

Just tracked my order and will be here tomorrow, Wednesday the 16 .

Can't wait!
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 4:29:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Nice house and property. I'm in the woods too. Unfortunately my house is right up on the road.

Any chance you can get cameras down to the road to point up and down the street? Getting a license plate is a 1000x more valuable than a picture of the perps face. Having the plate will give the police some actionable information. We had cameras in town and had several thefts that had to be reported to law enforcement. Having a basic picture of Joe Tweaker is great, but getting one of his mom's license plate is far better.
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 7:20:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Nice house and property. I'm in the woods too. Unfortunately my house is right up on the road.

Any chance you can get cameras down to the road to point up and down the street? Getting a license plate is a 1000x more valuable than a picture of the perps face. Having the plate will give the police some actionable information. We had cameras in town and had several thefts that had to be reported to law enforcement. Having a basic picture of Joe Tweaker is great, but getting one of his mom's license plate is far better.
View Quote

Yes eventually I will have a camera(s) closer to the gate by the road and a couple more around the house to catch some blind spots.

I bought a 16 ch nvr so plenty to add more.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top