Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/19/2016 11:29:00 AM EDT
I am getting a Liberty Centurion24. I am bolting in down in a closet where there is limited side access to insert a pry bar or get behind it to tip it over.

I can use a 1/2 inch bolt to anchor it to the concrete. Ive been looking at what to use.

So there are Wedge bolts.....which I tend to prefer because they can be removed easily and we probably are only going to be staying another 5 years in this house.

Then there is the traditional anchor bolt which while they work just fine will leave a bolt in the floor when your all said and moved out.

Anyone here using the wedge bolts and satisfied with them?

Link Posted: 10/19/2016 12:32:41 PM EDT
[#1]
My dealer told me to stay away from the type that liberty sells. With enough work, those could be worked out the floor. The one in your top picture is the way to go. That's what I got and what we use at work to bolt down the steel shelving.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 1:09:55 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

My dealer told me to stay away from the type that liberty sells. With enough work, those could be worked out the floor. The one in your top picture is the way to go. That's what I got and what we use at work to bolt down the steel shelving.
View Quote
Awesome. Thanks for the info. I assume you used 1/2 inch bolts. What length did you get on the bolts?

Link Posted: 10/19/2016 1:23:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Redheads and epoxy work for me.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 1:49:42 PM EDT
[#4]
I think the anchor bolts are better. When you move just cut them flush with the slab.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 7:13:56 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Redheads and epoxy work for me.
View Quote

I use threaded rod and chemical anchor/epoxy made for concrete from Hilti.

I cut them flush when moving out.

Link Posted: 10/19/2016 9:52:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Epoxy is the best. It takes longer so many installers tend to favor expanding bolts. I was thinking epoxy was going to be complicated and/or messy and it was super easy. Epoxy will have more consistent results in unknown concrete conditions.

FYI the redhead epoxy is available at Homedepot but many times are old and expired. I ordered mine from Zoro Tools (Grainger) along with quality threaded rod.

G3412376 Industrial Grade Standard Flat Washers USS Flat Washer,USS,Galv,Fits 1/2 In,Pk 50 $5.01 1 $4.02
G2110561 Full Hex NutsYellow Dichromate Grade 8 Steel Hex Nut,Grade 8,1/2-20,PK50 $6.93 1 $5.56
G3041272 B7 Alloy Zinc Plated Threaded Rod Threaded Rod,B7,Zinc,1/2-20 x6 Ft,RH,UNF $18.05 1 $14.49
G0268956 Acrylic Anchoring Adhesive Kit Adhesive Kit $20.98 1 $16.84
G4926074 Hammer Drill Bits Hammer Drill Bit,SDS carbide,18 In $23.17 1 $18.59

In 2000 PSI concrete, a 1/2" anchor with 4.5" embedment is over 10Klbs of tension strength

Link Posted: 10/20/2016 4:10:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

You talking about the wedge type shown in the lower picture? How can you "work those out" if they are tight? I've never seen one worked loose before... If you do go with that type one added benefit is that you can drill the hole deeper than needed, install the bolt,and if you ever move the safe just use a hammer and punch to drive it down into the hole, the patch over it.

That being said, the epoxy + proper anchor method is the way to go for ultimate strength. That stuff is TOUGH. There are 2 different types you can get. The first is an actual epoxy that is liquid, mixes through the tube as it comes out, and you squirt it in the hole; takes a while to harden fully. The 2nd (IIRC also made by Redhead) is a special epoxy and anchor combination (AFAIK it MUST be used with the special anchor). It's meant for no-mess and faster & easier installs. It's a powder that you pour into your hole, then you mount the anchor in your drill and "drill" it in, the drilling process heats the epoxy turning it to a stiff liquid and mixes it as it squeezes it up the sides of the anchor. As the anchor nears bottom the resistances gets very high and the anchor will "bite". Stop, remove the drill and let it sit for IIRC 15 minutes and it's ready to go.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 5:49:16 AM EDT
[#8]
The redheads and Hilti anchors we use have high strength, like grade 8 or higher and high sheer value. We use them for ATM installs in stores. They hold well with proper install and epoxy.

As said cut off with cordless girder and beat down. Fill with grout/epoxy floor patch.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 4:22:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Can one purchase just 4 anchors??

Link Posted: 10/20/2016 6:19:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Anchor bolts.  Drill hole through slab and place.  When ready to move, remove nut/washer and pound into floor.  Cover hole with cement and move along.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 7:59:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Use the quick bolt on the bottom picture,in either 3/8 or 1/2 depending on how secure you want your safe.there is no way in hell they wiggle out.get them long enough to get into the slab at least 1/2 of its thickness or more(the deeper the stronger).i have installed thousands of these anchors and they have incredible pull out strength.

You can also get them in stainless steel so if someone slips a long sawzall blade under your safe they are harder to cut,I would also suggest a big heavy washer on top or the bottom of your safe may just tear out if it is one of the lighter weight box store safes.

Pete
Link Posted: 11/2/2016 10:55:28 AM EDT
[#12]
If you will be moving, go with the bolts over the threaded studs; otherwise you will have to lift the safe off to move it later.
I suspect lifting it is not a problem if you have it professionally moved.
Link Posted: 11/6/2016 12:35:40 AM EDT
[#13]
My preference are the anchor style bolts.  When you move, just remove the nut and hammer the bolt into the foundation, no need to lift the safe up and over the bolts.
Link Posted: 11/6/2016 12:56:55 AM EDT
[#14]
I like the tapcon bolt style, I used 3/8 on my safe. With 4 of them, the safe will give before the bolts. I've seen both styles used in warehouses for holding metal racks down to the ground which hold thousands and thousands of pounds and need to be able to prevent it from falling over.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Tapcon-3-8-in-x-3-in-Hex-Washer-Head-Large-Diameter-Concrete-Anchor-10-Pack-11413/203770115

Just drill the hole, then use an impact wrench to get them in.

ETA: Spec sheet says they're good for 6k lbs each, I don't know I'd want to test it, but they seemed sturdy enough to me. Easy to remove too.
http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pdfImages/1c/1cfec5d1-a057-4ae8-aa26-03c5e99316a6.pdf
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top