Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/18/2016 7:04:08 PM EDT
I was forced to put my gun safe in the living room of our house. There is a basement underneath; however, there is ductwork built between the joists  underneath the safe. I'll reinforce the joists with vertical 4x4s. Since I can't access the subfloor from the basement due to the ductwork, is it worth putting a few large screws inside the safe to go through the hardwood floor and subfloor? I can't see it doing all that much. Any thoughts?
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 8:46:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I was forced to put my gun safe in the living room of our house. There is a basement underneath; however, there is ductwork built between the joists  underneath the safe. I'll reinforce the joists with vertical 4x4s. Since I can't access the subfloor from the basement due to the ductwork, is it worth putting a few large screws inside the safe to go through the hardwood floor and subfloor? I can't see it doing all that much. Any thoughts?
View Quote

You'll want to bolt it to the floor.  A: It prevents it from getting carried away in a burg.  B: It prevents it from tipping over and causing injury.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 8:52:10 PM EDT
[#2]

If you can't access the screws to reinforce, my guess is rocking your safe would make quick tear out from the sub-floor, just my .02

Insurance and a alarm would be my choice.

Look at Arlo Netgear, 1 cam system under $200, no fees, contacts your smartphone w/video.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 10:34:53 PM EDT
[#3]
not really sure why you just didn't put the safe in the basement. that is where mine has been for the last 15 years
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 11:13:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

If you have room to get under the floor to reinforce the joists with 4x4 then I think you have some options. Is there anyway that you could align at least two of the bolt down holes with a long length of all thread? You could run lengths of all thread through the subfloor downward to wood blocking or steel u channel / unistrut run perpendicular to the floor joist. There is often a slight gap between the joists and the ducting. This could all be done with fairly simple tools like power drills, hack saws and files. You don't need complete access you just need a straight shot down at some point to run the rods to the u channel / unistrut. Does the ducting extend below the joists at all?

You should also consider lead bars for the bottom of the safe. Although too much weight will eventually require additional joists. Pictures of your set up would be very helpful for brainstorming.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top