Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/13/2016 11:16:56 PM EDT
We just relocated, I sold my last safe, and looking to buy another very soon--like this weekend.  We relocated to Utah, so Ft. Knox and Champion are local for us.  I was thinking about maybe an AMSEC, but like buying local and Ft. Knox has a good name.  However, the local furniture chain sells several models of Champion for what seems like a good price so I'm taking a closer look.  Ft. Knox is interesting, but it seems like they were always pretty expensive.  I haven't looked at AMSEC yet but there are a couple local dealers and I'm guessing I would be looking at a BF series.  The main issue is I'd like to spend $1500-2000 on the safe, and I'm afraid even AMSEC will be above that.

We also just sold our house and are renting for a while, so part of me wants to just buy a cheap safe and sell it next time we move--but I would also like decent protection for my collection.

I mentioned the furniture deal.  These are the two I am looking at.  In addition to the price, they are also doing a discount equal to sales tax right now (not sure if it is good on safes), deliver for $59 (need to find if they put it in place), and I would get 5% back on my Visa card currently from their store.  They sell about a dozen models I think from $800 to $2k.  I don't know if they are add-ons, but I think these both include door organizers, LEDs, etc.  The door organizer isn't required but a nice option.  These all have electronic locks, which I was intending to buy a mechanical dial.  Not sure it's something I should overlook.

Champion - $2k option

Champion - $1400 option

I will go look at the AMSEC first, but in this price range is the Champion worth considering?
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 4:26:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Champion makes a good product, I have a Superior safe which is made by the same company in Provo UT.  If it were me I would go with the best model you can afford, along with a good insurance policy.
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 2:44:35 AM EDT
[#2]
I just got a fort Knox protector with some upgrades and I love it. Pricy but top of the line. Looks are good and specs seem to meet that of amsec etc. No poored concrete but with the inner liner I'm not too worried
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 11:33:17 AM EDT
[#3]
All manufacturers you have selected are great choices. I looked hard at the three manufacturers you listed as well as Sturdy.  As the previous poster mentioned Superior Safes are made by champion.  I ultimately went with the Superior Supreme line as it gave me all the features I wanted, solid build & materials, and allowed me to step up in size and remain within my budget.  

Good luck choosing.
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 2:06:26 PM EDT
[#4]
I think I am leaning pretty much toward the Champion Triumph ($2k) at the moment.  They come with a 2-year lock warranty but Champion lets you buy a 5, 10 & lifetime warranty on it for not much more.  The Triumph has an interesting triangulated door frame that might resist pry attacks a little more than a standard door, and I like the upgraded fire resistance.  Along with the pricing, it seems hard to beat.  Still would like a mechanical lock for durability, but the electronic sure is nice to open.

I am going to go look at it again today, as I didn't look to closely the first time we were there.  I'd like to look more at some AMSEC dealers, but most of them are closed on the weekend--or quite a drive.  It's hard to get to them for me, or the Ft Knox outlet--they all close at 4:30 (same with Champion).
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 6:33:35 PM EDT
[#5]
You aren't going to get a BF series AMSEC for $2k.
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 1:51:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You aren't going to get a BF series AMSEC for $2k.
View Quote

Yeah, I don't know what I was thinking.  I could maybe get a NF for that price, but probably smaller.  I think for the price the Champion seems like a good value.

I might look into one of the small BFs for other stuff in the not so distant future.  We'll see when the Champion gets here.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top