Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/9/2016 2:52:00 PM EDT
Hello everyone,

I cant believe I have waited so long to purchase a safe....While I do not have a very large collection, what I do own is worth a considerable amount of $....And I find myself getting more and more paranoid about leaving my firearms under the couches, beds, drawers etc.....Its actually quite stupid.....

Anyway, I am looking for a larger safe...say 50ish rifle storage or thereabouts. I am moving into a new apartment Nov. 1, and it will be first floor, so I will not have an issue with having to have it hauled up stairs or worry about weight. (I plan on staying at this place for two years before having a house built)....I'm not sure if ill be able to bolt it down, which I know can cause an issue....I am also looking at the larger safe due to wanting to put other personal documents etc. in it, along with other guns I will be buying down the road.

I have been looking at Liberty Safes first and foremost, IDK if its because theres quite a few locally or what. I am new at this and have put my price range max to about 1500, not sure if thats unreasonable for a quality safe in the size I want or not, which is why I am here asking the more knowledgable crowd.....Fire rating isn't all that important to me as from the little bit of reading I have done has pretty much summed up its not as accurate as most companies state?

Anyway.....enough rambling...Basically looking for some guidance as to which safe companies are G2G and may fall within my price range.

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 3:51:45 PM EDT
[#1]
I was sort of in your situation a couple years ago.  

At the time, my wife and I were renting and I decided I needed a safe.  Unlike you, I did no seek the thoughts of arfcom prior, and bought what I thought was a great/secure safe.  I bought a Liberty Franklin 24 for about $1,600. (maybe 27 gun, can't quite remember).  After a couple months, I learned that what I had was a Residential Security Container, not a true "Safe".  The Franklin did have some upgraded features like slightly thicker steel, a higher fire rating, and more/thicker bolts than the lower models, but, it still wasn't a true "Safe".  I too, was unable to bolt it to the floor as we were renting.

Fast forward to today, and it is in the house we own, bolted to the wall and the basement floor.  It has become full, so full that I can't store ammo in it any longer.  I'll soon be in the market for a real safe such as a Sturdy and relegate the Liberty to storing ammo - my finances just aren't there yet.

When we were renting, we were in a low-crime neighborhood, in a high-crime region (St. Louis).  Now, I live in an EXTREMELY low crime area.  Break-ins ALWAYS make newspaper headlines around here... generally front page.

I'm of the opinion that the RSC Liberty will suffice for the quick smash and grabs... especially when I have neighbors who know me, some that are home all day every day, and we communicate with one another regularly.  I have no illusions that my Liberty would hold up to more than about 10 minutes if a perp came in with some basic tools and a plan to specifically get at the guns.  However, that would involve perps knowing in advance where the safe is, what is in the safe, an opportunity to do it, etc.  Personal security is probably the most important aspect in my life with regards to keeping my guns secure.  I don't talk about any of my weapons, except with family or very close friends that I also shoot with.  

Truth be told, a determined thief will get your goods regardless of what kind of safe you have - RSC or something substantial like a Sturdy.  If they can get access, have the tools, the opportunity, the motivation, and plenty of time, they'll get them.

In your situation, especially as you want to spend $1,500 or less, I'd look at finding an RSC with 11ga steel, thicker bolts, and a good mechanical lock.  That may not get you to a 50ish gun safe, but it'll get you a decent level of protection from smash and grabs.  If you find, after building your home, that you need more space, you could look at selling your RSC and upgrade, or add another real safe.
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 4:29:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I was sort of in your situation a couple years ago.  

At the time, my wife and I were renting and I decided I needed a safe.  Unlike you, I did no seek the thoughts of arfcom prior, and bought what I thought was a great/secure safe.  I bought a Liberty Franklin 24 for about $1,600. (maybe 27 gun, can't quite remember).  After a couple months, I learned that what I had was a Residential Security Container, not a true "Safe".  The Franklin did have some upgraded features like slightly thicker steel, a higher fire rating, and more/thicker bolts than the lower models, but, it still wasn't a true "Safe".  I too, was unable to bolt it to the floor as we were renting.

Fast forward to today, and it is in the house we own, bolted to the wall and the basement floor.  It has become full, so full that I can't store ammo in it any longer.  I'll soon be in the market for a real safe such as a Sturdy and relegate the Liberty to storing ammo - my finances just aren't there yet.

When we were renting, we were in a low-crime neighborhood, in a high-crime region (St. Louis).  Now, I live in an EXTREMELY low crime area.  Break-ins ALWAYS make newspaper headlines around here... generally front page.

I'm of the opinion that the RSC Liberty will suffice for the quick smash and grabs... especially when I have neighbors who know me, some that are home all day every day, and we communicate with one another regularly.  I have no illusions that my Liberty would hold up to more than about 10 minutes if a perp came in with some basic tools and a plan to specifically get at the guns.  However, that would involve perps knowing in advance where the safe is, what is in the safe, an opportunity to do it, etc.  Personal security is probably the most important aspect in my life with regards to keeping my guns secure.  I don't talk about any of my weapons, except with family or very close friends that I also shoot with.  

Truth be told, a determined thief will get your goods regardless of what kind of safe you have - RSC or something substantial like a Sturdy.  If they can get access, have the tools, the opportunity, the motivation, and plenty of time, they'll get them.

In your situation, especially as you want to spend $1,500 or less, I'd look at finding an RSC with 11ga steel, thicker bolts, and a good mechanical lock.  That may not get you to a 50ish gun safe, but it'll get you a decent level of protection from smash and grabs.  If you find, after building your home, that you need more space, you could look at selling your RSC and upgrade, or add another real safe.
View Quote

Appreciate the insight. You hit everything that I am thinking, I'll be in a low crime area and while I would like a bullet proof safe, I feel as though that may have to wait until I build my future home. (Am actually thinking of a reinforced room in basement with vault door. However, in the mean time I just need something that will protect me from a quick home invasion, not so much a well thought out burglary/ BE where they know I have a safe.

Also probably will get something a tad smaller since I WILL be moving in the future and don't want the headache of moving the big SOB then either.
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 5:00:34 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't buy in to all the safe talk on this forum.

Liberty is more than enough for the average person.

If you have power tools, keep them securely locked up.

The only person that will break in to my Liberty is the person that came with the right tools to do it, as well as the time.  No safe is secure in that situation.

My safe is securely bolted to the floor and wall, and the side of the door to pry on is against the wall.  If someone wants it, they are cutting through the side.

If someone has the tools and enough time to cut through my Liberty, they will most likely cut through any safe I can afford.

I have a Fatboy, BTW.  It should fit 48 long guns very comfortably, more if you want to stack them with rods.  10 handguns on the door, and a huge top shelf for more handguns or whatever you want.
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 5:04:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

The only person that will break in to my Liberty is the person that came with the right tools to do it, as well as the time.  No safe is secure in that situation.

My safe is securely bolted to the floor and wall, and the side of the door to pry on is against the wall.  If someone wants it, they are cutting through the side.

If someone has the tools and enough time to cut through my Liberty, they will most likely cut through any safe I can afford.

I have a Fatboy, BTW.  It should fit 48 long guns very comfortably, more if you want to stack them with rods.  10 handguns on the door, and a huge top shelf for more handguns or whatever you want.
View Quote

Thanks! Liberty is probably the way I am going to go at this point. They seem to be what I am looking for and in the price range I am willing to spend.
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 5:55:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Appreciate the insight. You hit everything that I am thinking, I'll be in a low crime area and while I would like a bullet proof safe, I feel as though that may have to wait until I build my future home. (Am actually thinking of a reinforced room in basement with vault door. However, in the mean time I just need something that will protect me from a quick home invasion, not so much a well thought out burglary/ BE where they know I have a safe.

Also probably will get something a tad smaller since I WILL be moving in the future and don't want the headache of moving the big SOB then either.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Snip

This part is a big deal.  My Liberty Franklin weighs in at just under 700lbs empty.  While that isn't all that much weight with a few strong backs, it's awkward with nowhere to really grab.  I've used an appliance dolly with the retention strap.  A couple of guys holding the dolly/tilting, and another couple to help guide/turn/push, etc.  

We bought new construction.  I wish I had had the foresight to have the contractor crane the safe in to the basement before they craned the trusses on.  When we eventually build another house down the road, this safe goes with this house.  I'll likely have a concrete poured room in my forever home when we make it happen.

MOST of my collection is also insured, so there's that layer of protection as well.
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 6:37:57 PM EDT
[#6]
One rule.  Figure out what you need, then get it one or two sizes bigger.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 8:25:02 PM EDT
[#7]
I did a lot of research and decided on a Liberty Fatboy Jr at $1299 on sale.  It;s more than enough.

Layers of security.  I live in a suburb with a police response time under 5 minutes.  I have a monitored alarm.  I lock my doors.  I have a safe, etc....
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 10:47:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I did a lot of research and decided on a Liberty Fatboy Jr at $1299 on sale.  It;s more than enough.

Layers of security.  I live in a suburb with a police response time under 5 minutes.  I have a monitored alarm.  I lock my doors.  I have a safe, etc....
View Quote

Although a Liberty would not be my first choice I must admit they have done themselves well with the Fat Boy/Fat Boy jr. series and especially when they offer sales on them.
I would prefer the Franklin based Fat Boy over the Colonial based Jr. because of the better locking mechanism and anti pry tabs the Franklin series have including their tuff door design with a little more steel in the door and longer and more locking bolts.
But if you can find a similar priced safe with an U.L. rating that comes with a plate steel door look hard at it especially if it has outer hinges which are simply far better than interior hinges.
Link Posted: 11/14/2016 1:02:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Thanks! Liberty is probably the way I am going to go at this point. They seem to be what I am looking for and in the price range I am willing to spend.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Remember:  most gun safes hold approximately 1/3 the number they claim (not using rifle rods, socks, or upside down).
Link Posted: 11/14/2016 9:13:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Look into the YouTube videos about breaking into "gunsafes".  I'm not real familiar with Liberty, but I was going to get a "safe" from local gun shop until I saw how easy to pry open with a screwdriver.  I then realized that just my LaRue OBR with a Nightforce scope would cost me about $5000 to replace (not to mention any other guns) and I upgraded (got a Sturdy).  Get the most solid one you can afford.

As posted above, the capacities listed are pure fantasy.  For pistol grip (AR type) and/or scopes figure 1/2 of listed size.  Even then you will have to remove everything if you ever want to get one out of the back.

Any safe can get broken into given some time.  Definitely get an alarm.  Something like Simplisafe is good, and you can take it with you in two years when you move.  That would also make it safer to not bolt down (since you don't own the property, I personally wouldn't drill into the slab).
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 1:08:39 PM EDT
[#11]

FWIW after some debate I went with a Franklin 35.  I was concerned the 50 wouldn't fit down the stairs (in hindsight it probably would have... oh well just have to get another one )

For what I have in my collection, I just couldn't justify the higher cost of the AMSECs safes, though they are considerably sturdier built.  It seemed the Franklins are a good blend of $ and features as far as safes go. It will keep kids and the "quick and dirty" robbers out.

Now if I get into NFA or otherwise start having some real high dollar items, I'll invest in a better safe.  Plus, having an alarm/monitoring/safe out of the way does a lot in the way of security in addition to the safe itself.

Link Posted: 11/26/2016 1:30:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

I am by no means a expert in opening safes, but I have been around construction all my life and I can tell you the above statement is not true by any means. there are much better tools out there cheap that cut steel like butter. don't believe me go to home depot and look yourself. keep in mind these are not the professional tools that make opening the safe even easier.
I could have his safe cut open in less than 5 min with relatively little effort. the biggest thing there would be is noise and that is no big deal in a suburban neighborhood.

watch some you tube videos and decide yourself how much security you need. only you know what will make you sleep good at night when you are on vacation and nobody is home.

pete

Link Posted: 11/27/2016 4:23:32 AM EDT
[#13]
For your price range, I think the best you can do is a Liberty Fatboy Jr.  Use Liberty's website to find dealers around you and call them all to check prices.  The closest dealer to me wants MSRP, but one that is an hour away is offering Faboy Jr's for $1300 tax paid.  Even with the increased delivery cost, it's still cheaper for me to go with the farther away dealer.  Cabela's also carries Liberty's including the Fatboy series, although they have given their Liberty's different names.

Other options are to look on Craigslist for safe dealers or used safes, or maybe this Amsec: http://www.deansafe.com/amg-fv6042.html  although it looks like it's made overseas and doesn't have a RSC rating.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top