Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/8/2016 11:14:50 AM EDT
So, I looked, but couldn't really find anything. Question is, how do you guys securely store your ammo, mags and other accessories?
Currently, I have the majority of it within my safe, but it is taking up space that I need for other things. I could keep it all in a closet, but I don't really like to keep that much ammo unsecured.
I thought about getting a steel office locker, but I feel like those locks and the steel are easily compromised (i may be wrong, I have never tried). The other option is to get a Liberty Ammo Can. Thoughts?
Link Posted: 8/8/2016 11:31:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
So, I looked, but couldn't really find anything. Question is, how do you guys securely store your ammo, mags and other accessories?
Currently, I have the majority of it within my safe, but it is taking up space that I need for other things. I could keep it all in a closet, but I don't really like to keep that much ammo unsecured.
I thought about getting a steel office locker, but I feel like those locks and the steel are easily compromised (i may be wrong, I have never tried). The other option is to get a Liberty Ammo Can. Thoughts?
View Quote

Personally, I treat my weapons like sensitive items (securely locked in a safe or on my body) and my ammo/accessories like supplies.  Stacked in a corner, under the bed, in a utility crate, etc.  Just makes things easier.

If you're really concerned about it, I'd just get an inconspicuous footlocker and lock it up.  It'd be too heavy with tons of ammo to actually move and most buglers would probably assume it has blankets or something in it.
Link Posted: 8/8/2016 11:59:15 AM EDT
[#2]
What ammo?
Link Posted: 8/8/2016 1:46:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Stacked and tucked everywhere in my gun room. I have been looking for a better option.
Link Posted: 8/8/2016 2:13:57 PM EDT
[#4]
I use my old (smaller) safe for some stuff. ammo cans stacked for the long term stuff in the corner.
Link Posted: 8/8/2016 3:40:06 PM EDT
[#5]
You can buy one of those construction boxes and lock all your ammo in it. Me I just use a couple of plastic pallets and some steel shelving units.
Link Posted: 8/8/2016 5:13:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You can buy one of those construction boxes and lock all your ammo in it. Me I just use a couple of plastic pallets and some steel shelving units.
View Quote

Pretty much what I did.
I use a Knaack 42 job box and place the ammo in metal ammo cans and place the cans in the job box.
So it's reasonably secure and if the house catches fire it's pretty contained by the steel ammo boxes.
Link Posted: 8/8/2016 10:00:46 PM EDT
[#7]
I put mine in ammo cans in a corner, NO smart burglar is going to steal ammo. it's too heavy, takes to much time to move, is less valuable, and harder to sell than gold and diamonds.
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 4:49:15 AM EDT
[#8]
I use a 14 gauge cabinet I got from zoro.com. With the way I have it set up, I get 12 saw cans, 5 .50 cans, and 8 .30 cans, plus the top shelf for my magazines. I think it was like $450 shipped (had a 30% off discount code) and I couldn't be happier with it. It is one heavy durable chunk of steel.
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 7:52:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I use a 14 gauge cabinet I got from zoro.com. With the way I have it set up, I get 12 saw cans, 5 .50 cans, and 8 .30 cans, plus the top shelf for my magazines. I think it was like $450 shipped (had a 30% off discount code) and I couldn't be happier with it. It is one heavy durable chunk of steel.
View Quote

Can't seem to find the search feature on that site.  Can you provide a link or model #?
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 8:11:36 AM EDT
[#10]
What if there was a relatively well lit, secured climate controlled storage facility near your home-  why would be the negatives with storing a chunk of your ammo in one or two small storage units?
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 8:15:47 AM EDT
[#11]
I have mine in ammo cans dispersed throughout the house. Under the entertainment center, closets, small cabinets in the kitchen, etc., I want to have access to it in various parts of the house, handgun as well as 223/556 and 270 and shotgun. I try to have a combinations of each in each can or cans near each other. Why would I run to one room to reload if under attack

Link Posted: 8/9/2016 3:33:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Mine is in ammo cans on shelving.  There is one layer of security for the property, another for the house itself, and then additional interior layers for the gun room and gun vault.  Ammo, in my opinion, is too large and bulky and not valuable enough to warrant creating space inside ALL of those layers.  Items should be placed where they make the most sense in terms of the space/value/risk analysis.

Think of a military base.  Vehicles are parked inside the post, usually inside a fenced motorpool, but not in secure vault of any kind.  Weapons are kept inside an arms room inside a locked building.  Explosives and dangerous munitions go inside a bunker inside a secure ASP.  Big difference between the three, all determined by space/value/risk.
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 4:48:39 PM EDT
[#13]
I eventually plan to buy a cheap Stackon, key only, for ammo.  It's all in my safe now, though.

I don't need my ammo as secure as my guns, but I want it locked up, away from kids.
Link Posted: 8/10/2016 1:27:26 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Can't seem to find the search feature on that site.  Can you provide a link or model #?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The one I got is Zoro #: G9948556. It is actually a 12 gauge steel model. Bad new is it has gone up quite a bit since I bought mine last year. My invoice showed $672 before discount, now it is going for $841. Even at the higher price I would do it again.
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 10:53:27 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Keeps the kids out of it.
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 12:09:00 PM EDT
[#16]
I got a Knaack Weather Guard truck box from my brother in law from when he was an electrician, cleaned it up and built a frame for it in my basement. It's my "toy box", it has nearly all my ammo, all my gun accessories, holsters, parts, etc. It's pretty stout, much harder to pry into than a Stack On box, although it does take up a lot of room. I siliconed every seam, even though it was likely water proof up to the opening anyways.

One benefit is, I can also stick long guns in cases on top as well, and use the top as a table or work surface if needed. I have 2 rows of .50 cal cans on the bottom, all labeled on top so I can just reach in and pull out what I need.

The regular gun safe is upstairs on the main floor, and it has ammo basics, enough to go shoot a few rounds through any gun in there, plus a hundred or so of 9mm and .223/5.56, and a selection of rimfire stuff.

Weather Guard truck box
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 7:04:27 PM EDT
[#17]
I store my pistol ammo in a wall mounted Stack-On safe. My shotgun and rifle ammo are stored in US surplus ammo boxes.
Link Posted: 8/12/2016 8:05:46 AM EDT
[#18]
I have the ammo safe below in my guest bedroom closet.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/STACK-ON-FIREPOWER-AMMO-CABINET/2045265.uts
Link Posted: 8/12/2016 8:42:52 PM EDT
[#19]
For the last few years my .22lr stash was worth more than some of my guns.
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 2:04:44 PM EDT
[#20]
I keep the guns in a safe in my bedroom, ammo in a locked cabinet in the basement. As someone else said, ammo is heavy and probably not what thieves are looking for. I keep it locked up because of young grand kids.
Link Posted: 8/14/2016 1:09:21 PM EDT
[#21]
My guns are in my safes.

The ammo is in ammo cans or range boxes - both with desiccant wafers to keep the brass from tarnishing.
Link Posted: 8/14/2016 2:15:28 PM EDT
[#22]

Link Posted: 8/14/2016 10:07:20 PM EDT
[#23]
I store my ammo in two large double door data safes and ammo cans in a cool dry place.
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 8:26:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
My guns are in my safes.

The ammo is in ammo cans or range boxes - both with desiccant wafers to keep the brass from tarnishing.
View Quote

this is the same thing i do.

I think some people think more on trying to secure ammo then their guns and other real valuables that can't be kept in a bank vault.

i have insurance and ammo is easy to replace if stolen.
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 10:01:32 AM EDT
[#25]
got a scratch and dent stack on 14 gun cabnet for a steal at tractor supply Bent up 5 12 ga steel shelves bolted to the wall and floor of my garage and it holds alot of ammo :)
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 8:47:01 PM EDT
[#26]
Lived in an apartment for a little while, couldn't get my safe into it so I bought a job box to store guns/ammo.  After I moved and got my safe back, the job box turned into an ammo locker.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 5:19:37 PM EDT
[#27]
Locking metal cabinet
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top