Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/24/2016 8:34:09 PM EDT
Alright so how sensitive is night vision to IR light? I would test this if i owned a NV goggle but i don't so i am posting here asking.

I wanted to set up my house to have random IR light emitters that i could enable to blind and negate anyone from using night vision goggles in my house at night if i chose to enable them. I just need to know how much IR I need to blast in various rooms and outside to make it useless and potentially blinding to any dumbass that tries to use it :D

I would eventually like to rig it to strobe the IR too but thats a later project.

I would either have the IR wired or wireless...depending whats easier to do. (also cheaper)
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 9:13:29 PM EDT
[#1]
I think a better idea would be to outfit yourself with NV.

Just my $.02. YMMV
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 9:17:52 PM EDT
[#2]
I am staying in one place.  I have 1 stair with a recognizable squeak.  I have a field of fire. When I hear the squeak I fire.  

I would never go room to room clearing the house by myself.  IMHO
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 9:55:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I am staying in one place.  I have 1 stair with a recognizable squeak.  I have a field of fire. When I hear the squeak I fire.  

I would never go room to room clearing the house by myself.  IMHO
View Quote

both useless replies...thanks....
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 10:29:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Why not rig white lights? Are you trying to not disturb someone when you send the ballon up  ?  I'd put white lights pointed in the direction that the interlopers would be coming from, and when you hear the "stair squeak" instead of indescriminately firing Through a portion of your house,  you could just illuminate the raccoon or burgular before you decide whether to fire.  Oh, and get a pvs-14 and a bump helmet.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 10:34:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Alright so how sensitive is night vision to IR light? I would test this if i owned a NV goggle but i don't so i am posting here asking.

I wanted to set up my house to have random IR light emitters that i could enable to blind and negate anyone from using night vision goggles in my house at night if i chose to enable them. I just need to know how much IR I need to blast in various rooms and outside to make it useless and potentially blinding to any dumbass that tries to use it :D

I would eventually like to rig it to strobe the IR too but thats a later project.

I would either have the IR wired or wireless...depending whats easier to do. (also cheaper)
View Quote

Since it's a technical forum: you can generally use even a television remote as an IR light source in a pinch, albeit not a very good one. I'm sure some of the dedicated IR flashlights designed for weapon/handheld use would work very well to counter someone wearing a NV device if aimed at the person using the NV, if I understand your intention correctly.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 10:50:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Since it's a technical forum: you can generally use even a television remote as an IR light source in a pinch, albeit not a very good one. I'm sure some of the dedicated IR flashlights designed for weapon/handheld use would work very well to counter someone wearing a NV device if aimed at the person using the NV, if I understand your intention correctly.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No i want to create a system throughout the house that i can turn on remotely that turn on IR LEDs that will either turn on or strobe to make NV useless throughout the whole house. I want to know if 2 5w IR LEDs in each room would be sufficient to blast a whole room with IR light blinding anyone with NV on so that have to take it off. It levels the playing field and stuns them at first too.

I would assume 5W or 2x5W would be insane amount of IR.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 11:02:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

No i want to create a system throughout the house that i can turn on remotely that turn on IR LEDs that will either turn on or strobe to make NV useless throughout the whole house. I want to know if 2 5w IR LEDs in each room would be sufficient to blast a whole room with IR light blinding anyone with NV on so that have to take it off. It levels the playing field and stuns them at first too.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

From my limited experiments, I think it would...

Make sure the wavelength of the emitters is appropriate for NV

You could use wireless lamp switches or RF remote controls, with the codes set the same [open up and set the 'jumpers' or whatever is used.

It would be nice to pulse the LEDS and can be accomplished with a SS time delay relay on each one...

Everything on ebay

Cheap-  

I would use the wireless RF remotes 433  mhz

Also passive IR alarm detectors on a redundant system to trigger additional IR Leds

Link Posted: 7/24/2016 11:18:27 PM EDT
[#8]
thanks for the info. Whats the likely hood the signal could be jammed? Does the tech exist?

what wavelength are NVs BTW?
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 11:41:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
thanks for the info. Whats the likely hood the signal could be jammed? Does the tech exist?

View Quote

Sure, most any remote can be

You going to tell everyone the fact you have the capability and the type or remote???

Google it on wiki NV

They vary a little depending on the photocathode

Get in the ballpark and it won't matter

Set up to spray some party worms by RC, to really confuse them...

And some of those CO2 paintball gre dodads to boot

All limited by your imagination...

How about some maple syrup or molasses as a treat to spray them with...

And a cold shower at the points of likely entry?

Link Posted: 7/24/2016 11:46:58 PM EDT
[#10]
I could also heat my front door handle :D

http://homealone.wikia.com/wiki/Booby_Traps
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 11:48:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I could also heat my front door handle :D

http://homealone.wikia.com/wiki/Booby_Traps
View Quote

Just use an inexpensive  fence charger or bug zapper transformer

Or a stun gun rigged to the knob turning

Link Posted: 7/24/2016 11:50:37 PM EDT
[#12]
if i owned my own home...like lived on a farm like i would want to there is a list of deadly things i would do but i aint tellin :D

IR is simple and fairly easy weekend job if i want to mitigate that one risk.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 3:54:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
if i owned my own home...like lived on a farm like i would want to there is a list of deadly things i would do but i aint tellin :D

IR is simple and fairly easy weekend job if i want to mitigate that one risk.
View Quote

you must be fairly important to have such high class folks wearing NV who want to raid your house. good thing you'll be ready for them.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 4:12:41 AM EDT
[#14]
You better make sure they are all on battery backup for the IR emitters. I mean when the guys with night vision come to raid your house they'll definetly cut your power first.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 4:27:44 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
You better make sure they are all on battery backup for the IR emitters. I mean when the guys with night vision come to raid your house they'll definetly cut your power first.
View Quote

no shit but nice try shit posting :D

It is also called back up gens....and redundant power systems derp derp derp

whats up with the trolls on this forum...no moderation?
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 4:35:34 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hey man. Just trying to help you out. If they are wearing nods they will take out your generator too.

Don't forget to wrap your windows and doors in tin foil to stop the emp. Also build a Farraday cafe around each of the emitters to prevent emp damage.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 9:02:19 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 11:15:03 AM EDT
[#18]
Modern US NV doesn't bloom like the older or Russian stuff does, My gen 2 stuff works just fine even with the lights on, so IR may not have the desired effect.
IR lights might work to your disadvantage and make it easier for the invader.
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 11:19:39 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

You going to tell everyone the fact you have the capability and the type or remote???

Google it on wiki NV

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Google it on wiki NV

How about a paintball Claymore, you make it with an automotive airbag.
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 12:16:00 PM EDT
[#20]
They will just use the other eye if you bloom out their NV. Under bright IR my PVS14 just dims, it doesn't blind me. Seems like bright visible light would be better.
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 2:11:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
They will just use the other eye if you bloom out their NV. Under bright IR my PVS14 just dims, it doesn't blind me. Seems like bright visible light would be better.
View Quote

NV is IR sensitive. very different. Go buy a 5 dollar 5w IR bulb for me and test it.  and report back :D
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 6:39:56 PM EDT
[#22]
You might get better info in the night vision forum.
Link Posted: 8/12/2016 4:34:53 PM EDT
[#23]
You have no understanding of Nods in a real world application. Go do some research.
Link Posted: 8/14/2016 1:17:24 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

View Quote

I'm sorry, but I fail to see any use for what you are asking about.

If you don't have night vision, why wouldn't you just go with bright visible light? You'd have no advantage in the dark by 'blinding' someone with a NVD if you can't see them.

Having a really high output weapon light with strobe capability would blind them and give you an advantage in the dark. You just don't want to hold the light directly in front of you very long lest you become a target.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top