Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/16/2016 5:10:49 PM EDT
So I just recently bought a house and want to buy a good gun safe.  My father has a older (15 years) Winchester 30 gun safe in his basement. He said I can have it if I can move it. He just upgraded to a newer safe in the upstairs of the house.  Any advice on how to get it up stairs. The stairs are a straight shot up and out the back door. Just wanted to know if anyone had a guess on the weight and any tricks for sliding it up stairs. Also the combination lock (dial) sometimes doesn't catch it just like free spins. I was gonna take it to a lock smith.  Any input on that? Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/16/2016 5:43:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
So I just recently bought a house and want to buy a good gun safe.  My father has a older (15 years) Winchester 30 gun safe in his basement. He said I can have it if I can move it. He just upgraded to a newer safe in the upstairs of the house.  Any advice on how to get it up stairs. The stairs are a straight shot up and out the back door. Just wanted to know if anyone had a guess on the weight and any tricks for sliding it up stairs. Also the combination lock (dial) sometimes doesn't catch it just like free spins. I was gonna take it to a lock smith.  Any input on that? Thanks.
View Quote

It's gonna cost you more than pizza and beer to move.
Link Posted: 7/16/2016 9:40:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Appliance dolly
Link Posted: 7/17/2016 4:19:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Heavy duty appliance dolly with the extra wheels that come out the back . Search YouTube for how to move a gun safe there are some video by a guy that does it for a living , they helped me a great deal . I was dreading moving my deceased fathers to my house but it was pretty easy the washer and dryer were worse than the safe.
Link Posted: 7/17/2016 9:22:03 AM EDT
[#4]
With an appliance dolly and 3 people you can move a pretty heavy safe fairly easily.

Depending on the weight, if you need some help or want a safety line, you can rig up a come-along with some 2x4's, some towels, and a strap to the dolly and safe to help get it up the stairs.  Add one more person (only needs to be able to work the come-along)
Link Posted: 7/17/2016 9:32:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
With an appliance dolly and 3 people you can move a pretty heavy safe fairly easily.

Depending on the weight, if you need some help or want a safety line, you can rig up a come-along with some 2x4's, some towels, and a strap to the dolly and safe to help get it up the stairs.  Add one more person (only needs to be able to work the come-along)
View Quote

I was thinking something similar to that myself. I think I'm going to try that approach. It's a fairly tight stairwell so I think 3 people is the mode you can fit around it. I asked my dad how he moved it originally.  He told me at the time he had 2 body builders working for his company. They handled the whole thing.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 5:01:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Any access back there for a vehicle? It would be great if you could put something slippery down on the stairs such as plastic sheeting over plywood and slowly pull it out with a winch or a truck creeping forward.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 9:29:51 AM EDT
[#7]
If the stairs are carpeted, you can do what I did...

- Remove the safe door (this lightens the load significantly)

- Lay the safe on its back on the stairs

- Have 2 buddies push while 2 buddies pull using moving straps

I had my similar size safe up the steps and into the desired room in less than 10 minutes (and that includes being extra cautious not to damage the drywall, door frames, etc.)

Goodluck
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top