Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/9/2016 11:12:17 AM EDT
A little background but I bought a Superior Supreme safe from a large safe & security store that ships all over the place.  They only had that model with the LaGard electronic locks in stock but told me they would swap it to a S&G dial lock using my preferred combination, cool.  

After a month of delays, they finally called to say it couldn't be done after all, something about fitment issues due to the glass relocker plate.  The guy I talked to said the plates are sometimes not within specs, basically the hole wasn't big enough or in the right place or something along those lines.  

I didn't want to wait a couple more months to order another one so agreed to accept it with the electronic lock which I basically got for free.  Although I will appreciate the convenience of an electronic lock, I'm concerned about long term problems due to wear etc.  Just curious what some of the resident safe experts think, were they just feeding me bullshit about swapping the lock?
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 11:37:45 AM EDT
[#1]
People with dial locks will tend to leave their safe unlocked and/or forget to lock it, because it is a pain in the ass to keep opening a dial lock several times a day.  

An electronic lock is locked every time.  

I know two people that converted dial lock safes to digital.
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 11:42:43 AM EDT
[#2]
I did, 0 for 2 with  electronic locks so I switched it out.  FT knox Titan was the safe.
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 2:48:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Look before you start a new thread

Two  threads below yours

Link Posted: 7/9/2016 4:17:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Look before you start a new thread

Two  threads below yours

View Quote

Yeah thanks I saw that but different question, hence different thread dig?
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 4:17:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes.  Anybody with experience swapping locks would have had no problems doing so. Even if adjustments were necessary due to the glass.
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 4:21:56 PM EDT
[#6]
I swap mechanicals for S&G electronics'...

In safes far more secure than gun safes...
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 4:25:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Yes.  Anybody with experience swapping locks would have had no problems doing so. Even if adjustments were necessary due to the glass.
View Quote

Frank can you elaborate on how to make these adjustments?  This was purchased from a large retailer so I figured they knew what the hell they were doing.  Is this something I could do myself with high speed diamonds with the proper cooling?  I have all sorts of cool equipment made for drilling other stuff.
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 6:53:37 PM EDT
[#8]
You don't want to touch the tempered glass too much, it will break.

I would start by looking to see if they were even telling the truth.  Worst case scenario, the spindle may have been coming in contact with the glass through the spindle hole.  If so, the glass itself may be adjusted by moving it.  Depends on how everything is held together.

Link Posted: 8/11/2016 11:29:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
You don't want to touch the tempered glass too much, it will break.

I would start by looking to see if they were even telling the truth.  Worst case scenario, the spindle may have been coming in contact with the glass through the spindle hole.  If so, the glass itself may be adjusted by moving it.  Depends on how everything is held together.

View Quote

I don't know about glass relockers, but any scratch on tempered glass greatly reduces it shatter resistance, and I think a relocker would be designed to be extra sesnsitive.
These are just my personal observations, so take them with a grain of salt.
ETA: I think I quoted the wrong post.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 12:27:52 PM EDT
[#10]

I am looking for a good safe to replace my stack on elite.  I kept going back and forth on electronic and dial.  So I went the ARFCOM way and I got both

Supposed to arrive in a couple of weeks.
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 5:58:41 PM EDT
[#11]
I replaced my Securam electronic lock with a Securam Safelogic Xtreme which gives me both
an electronic lock and a mechanical lock in one unit.

It's been working great and I'm glad I made the swap.

The install isn't too bad if you are used to doing basic auto repair, etc.

There are product videos and install videos on Youtube.

https://youtu.be/SWXHgrNs3Ss
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 6:40:43 PM EDT
[#12]
I replaced the electronic lock in my Cannon with an S&G  6730. Very easy to do. Very happy with the S&G lock.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top