Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/21/2016 6:56:10 PM EDT
In August I will be moving from Colorado to Alabama to begin graduate school. I am thinking of having safe movers move my safe (a Browning Medallion M28 fwiw) to a U-haul in Colorado, drive said U-haul with the safe (and everything else I'm bringing) to Alabama, and have a safe mover in Alabama move the safe from the U-haul to its destination.

This is the first time I've moved with a safe, so is there any obvious problem with my plan that I'm not seeing?
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 7:06:43 PM EDT
[#1]
No trusted family closer to leave it with until you find where life after Grad school leads?
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 7:10:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No trusted family closer to leave it with until you find where life after Grad school leads?
View Quote

I'm starting a physics PhD program, and I will be there for the next 4-5 years until I have my doctorate. It's a long enough period of time that I really like that option.
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 8:10:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I'm starting a physics PhD program, and I will be there for the next 4-5 years until I have my doctorate. It's a long enough period of time that I really like that option.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My son is in a similar situation. Graduated from West Point, ended up in Atlanta @ Ga Tech and is looking to get into Emory's PhD program. With that said, he has 2 handguns with him and the rest are in a safe in my shop here until he is settled.
It isn't cheap to do what you are looking to do. Especially knowing that you will be moving again at some point. Hopefully it will be at the end of the program and not sooner.
Also worth mentioning - the stress and liability, you may not need it when in school .
Not knowing the extent of your guns, I still think finding a closer place and visiting them during the holidays is plenty.
The best of luck to you.
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 9:38:44 PM EDT
[#4]
From experience, I have a large cannon safe that I moved cross country in a box truck. At some point I must have turned too hard because it ripped the 2 anchors on the left side right through the decking (and puckered up the rails I had mounted them under) and crushed my desk next to it. If I had it to do over again, I would have laid it on its back, then heavy strapped it down. U haul was not amused.
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 10:58:53 PM EDT
[#5]
900 lbs is fairly movable if you take your time. Unless you are dealing with stairs I'd look into handling it yourself with 3 buddies. I mean your gonna be a physicist and all.  You can rent a dolly / hand truck capable. Seems like 1000-1200 is a bit of a step change and then over 1500 is heavy equipment. Weve moved three 700-900 lb safes with relatively easy to get equipment , patience , and people power
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 5:46:13 PM EDT
[#6]
I've moved twice in the last 4 years to different states with a smallish 300lb safe, pretty easy.  I'm getting ready to upgrade to a ~1000lb safe and anticipate another move in 3 years but am planning to stay in the same state which will help.  Have you thought about renting a box truck with a lift gate instead of a plain Uhaul?  Might be cheaper that way.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 3:29:20 PM EDT
[#7]
I've never bothered with moving with my safe.

I've sold it and bought a larger one after moving every time. I just require the people that bought it pay professional movers to do the job.

Link Posted: 5/24/2016 3:53:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Sell it and buy another?
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 4:39:17 PM EDT
[#9]
How big are we talking? >1000 lbs changes things a little usually. <1000 lbs is pretty easy to move with the proper dolly and support. I mean with a pallet jack you can move 3000-4000 lbs pretty easy, so it's all about having the right tools for the job and access. Without a loading dock getting it in the truck can be an issue without the right tools.

ETA: 900 lbs, if you can get some help, you can move that in to a truck not too bad so long as it's in a garage or somewhere where it can get out easy enough. Or pay someone. Take the door off if you can.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 1:15:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Motorized appliance dolly should do the job.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 9:26:24 PM EDT
[#11]
I got sick of hiring movers and bought my own appliance dolly through Craigs list. ~ $200 for one of these dollies "used" that can move 1200lbs by myself on flat ground. For stairs, add some friends and this dolly is still very workable. The nice thing is that most of the weight is handled by the support legs so it's mainly pushing.

appliance dolly

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top