Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/26/2016 8:32:06 AM EDT
I see the 3MP and 4MP as well as 1080p.

I assume the 3 or 4 MP would have better resolution (suitable to computer monitors).  Found one Hikivision 4MP that lists "•2688 x 1520 Resolution @ 20 fps" so that certainly would be more than 1080 lines in a 1080p, correct?

In other words, 4MP is the best resolution right now?

Also, plan to build a dedicated desktop and run Blue Iris.  What is the word I need to search for in hard drives that are suitable to continuous use for video?  Tried searching "continuous" on Newegg but got nothing other than pre-packaged camera/DVR systems.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 9:00:54 AM EDT
[#1]
I think the western digital purple drives are made specifically for NVR type use. I'm sure there are others that are suitable, but that's what people seem to commonly buy for that use.

I remember reading somewhere that the different drives (purple, red etc.) have firmware specifically developed for those applications
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 5:20:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks, looks like Western Digital has (purple) drives just for surveillance Western Digital
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 9:38:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Seagate has their Surveillance System drives that are designed for video.  Honestly I'd go with the WD Purple.  I've been using a 4TB and has worked out well.  First one I got was bad out of the box but Newegg replaced it immediately.  Second one going strong for 6 months.  Time will tell.
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 12:11:43 AM EDT
[#4]
1080p= 1920 × 1080 pixels= roughly 2mp

I worry about fps just as much as mp though, more fps, less blur (assuming lighting and all other factors are equal).

Just keep in mind, more mp and more fps= more data
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 8:18:13 PM EDT
[#5]
I've been running WD NV Purples for a month or so with no issues so far.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top