Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/31/2016 10:51:37 AM EDT
My gun safe is in my basement gun room, my bedroom is on the second floor. I've got a daughter on the way so now's the time to better secure my HD rifle at night and when we're home (right now at night it just sits inside the closet).

I just need something that keeps a single M4 away from small hands, but is still easy to get into quickly when I need it. Does anybody have a recommendation?
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 11:03:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 12:39:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
My gun safe is in my basement gun room, my bedroom is on the second floor. I've got a daughter on the way so now's the time to better secure my HD rifle at night and when we're home (right now at night it just sits inside the closet).

I just need something that keeps a single M4 away from small hands, but is still easy to get into quickly when I need it. Does anybody have a recommendation?
View Quote

For what you're asking, I think a locking door knob on the closet might be the right answer.
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 1:32:37 PM EDT
[#3]
If I had the space under my bed I'd get one of these: http://www.monstervault.org/ or one like it made by a more reconizable company.
I had a keyed lock on my master closet too, I don't have the space for an under the bed container. I have a fingerprint handgun box on my nightstand. If it's loaded I keep it in a quick access safe.
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 5:53:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

For what you're asking, I think a locking door knob on the closet might be the right answer.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No go.

My wife has the annoying habit of leaving doors open all over the house.
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 9:43:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 3:55:28 AM EDT
[#6]
I have a SHOT LOCK for a shotgun in my mancave closet, would easily keep little fingers out of it and it easy/quick to open. They make an AR15 version.

AR Shot Lock
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 4:02:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

No go.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No go.

Auto locking keyed knob or keypad knob and an automatic closer like on a screen door.  Wife can enter with code or key, door shuts automatically and should someone be inside when door closes, knob still functions normally from inside.

Just tossing that out there.
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 7:07:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I have a SHOT LOCK for a shotgun in my mancave closet, would easily keep little fingers out of it and it easy/quick to open. They make an AR15 version.

AR Shot Lock
View Quote

I have an AR Shot Lock, and while a thief would more than likely be able to rip it off the wall, the weapon would not be immediately usable.  It also keeps it secured from my kids.
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 7:08:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I have an AR Shot Lock, and while a thief would more than likely be able to rip it off the wall, the weapon would not be immediately usable.  It also keeps it secured from my kids.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

AR Shot Lock

Pretty much my feelings on it as well.
Link Posted: 4/9/2016 1:42:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just used a locking doorknob on my office when my first was born, but I'm in the same position now looking for a semi secure safe for the upstairs.
Something like this is what I have been eyeballing.
Maybe this
Link Posted: 4/9/2016 2:51:52 PM EDT
[#11]
This will fit nice in a corner in a closet.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CGbI-LNPRHY
Link Posted: 4/9/2016 8:18:05 PM EDT
[#12]
I can't believe no one makes a flush mount simplex lock between the stud safe/cabinet.

Something like the vline closet vault that doesn't stick out 3" so you can put a mirror or picture over it... Why no one makes this is baffling
Link Posted: 4/9/2016 9:46:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I can't believe no one makes a flush mount simplex lock between the stud safe/cabinet.

Something like the vline closet vault that doesn't stick out 3" so you can put a mirror or picture over it... Why no one makes this is baffling
View Quote

https://tacticalwalls.com/product-category/concealment-covers/?
Link Posted: 4/9/2016 10:37:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 6:24:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
This will fit nice in a corner in a closet.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CGbI-LNPRHY
View Quote

I saw this and thought it was perfect.

Of course, it's been discontinued.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 9:17:57 PM EDT
[#17]

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

https://tacticalwalls.com/product-category/concealment-covers/?
Perfect except it doesn't have a lock.  That silly magnetic thing isn't even close.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 6:36:30 PM EDT
[#18]
View Quote

That has a 3 number lock like a briefcase. Good luck getting to that in an emergency.
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 6:47:21 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm in the same boat. I was taking the AR from the safe to the bedside and back every night until the wife almost shot herself in the foot trying to lower the hammer on her dad's 1911. Now she's not comfortable with any loaded guns that aren't locked. I'm working on fabricating my own locking rack at the moment. Instead of a safe, consider a locking wall mounted rack like Santa Cruz builds. You can mount it anywhere, in any position and wire the lock to a 12v keypad. I like this better than the tactical walls and such that cost double or triple. Building my own with a salvaged lock from a police car put me under 100 bucks pre-build. i'm sure it will go up a bit as I hit problems building the damn thing.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 4:33:08 PM EDT
[#20]
I have one of these mounted in my closet with a DDM4V1LW in it.  It's lag bolted into a stud.  We used them at The Basic School to secure our issued M16s.  They're relatively cheap, and keyed with a Medeco lock cylinder.  Very sturdy.  While the trigger isn't covered, there is a plate behind the takedown pins, so you can't separate out the rifle.  If you had a welder and some metal-working skills, you could easily make a guard for the trigger.

My keychain has the key, and my chest rig has another one rubber-banded to it.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 7:13:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Storeroom knobsets automatically lock behind you. By the time your kid can pick a lock, it'll be time to teach them about guns. I've had one on my man room as long as I can remember despite having safes.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top