Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/11/2016 12:04:40 AM EDT
I'm looking for mid to low weight, basic level of "security", but high fire protection.

In my particular situation I need enough security to keep out random methheads with Stanley prybars and an Estwing hammer. If someone seriously wants my safe, they are going to be here with a 4wd 3/4 ton diesel truck, 50ft of logging chain, and a chainsaw to take out my wall. I'm up a 300 ft driveway behind trees with no nearby neighbors. I'm not going to stop someone determined. My risk is much higher for fire. Including that the only realistic safe location is within a dozen feet of 275 gallons of heating oil.

I'm thinking of something in the 300-400 lb range. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 12:29:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Firearms or other stuff?  If other stuff, is it valuable?

Link Posted: 2/11/2016 12:51:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Firearms or other stuff?  If other stuff, is it valuable?

View Quote

Both. A few valuable firearms, coins, metals, and important papers. Primarily looking for a gun safe, just not with the same requirements most people look for.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 1:19:37 AM EDT
[#3]
If you're not concerned about the security aspect, I would look for a used double door data safe, or double door document safe with multi-hour rating.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 3:39:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
If you're not concerned about the security aspect, I would look for a used double door data safe, or double door document safe with multi-hour rating.
View Quote

That is a great idea!  

Thank you.

Link Posted: 2/11/2016 7:41:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Eastern Security Safe in Mendon, MA. Well worth the drive as they are one the of the largest safe dealers in New England. If you bring a trailer with you, you most likely can come home that day with one. I picked up a Champion a few years ago for $1200 and took it home that day with me. Easy to work with and you pay no sales tax because of some quirky MA law. I'm in the market for another safe now since I've filled that one up and they are where I will be going.

They stock a bunch of different lines and have a very full warehouse.

PM me with any questions.

Link Posted: 2/11/2016 10:25:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Eastern Security Safe in Mendon, MA. Well worth the drive as they are one the of the largest safe dealers in New England. If you bring a trailer with you, you most likely can come home that day with one. I picked up a Champion a few years ago for $1200 and took it home that day with me. Easy to work with and you pay no sales tax because of some quirky MA law. I'm in the market for another safe now since I've filled that one up and they are where I will be going.

View Quote

I drive by there fairly frequently. I'll bring the truck next trip. Thanks very much for the tip.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 6:57:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I drive by there fairly frequently. I'll bring the truck next trip. Thanks very much for the tip.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would call prior to going just to make sure that they can load it same day. When I went down, I purchased mine then went to lunch to give them an hour or so to dig it out of the shop and prepare it to leave. Overall though a great experience there. They even deliver and install for a small fee.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top