Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/20/2016 6:51:48 PM EDT
Was looking for a nice TA-50ish storage locker with shelving for ammo, reloading supplies and some gear.

I already have a safe in another location in the house for firearms and things that should be in a safe, this is more of a locker where ammo/reloading supplies can be stored and not overly easily gotten to. As a bonus, it would probably serve as a great decoy from the real sage if someone would break in.

My problem has been that I either can't seem to find one that is all shelving (I just want 4-5 heavy duty shelves per locker), doesn't have a cheesy/weak locking mechanism or its dimensions don't work where it needs to go. I could easily get an actual TA-50 cabinet, but they are all 24" deep where I only have 20-21" of depth. Additionally, the reloading bench I have in the room is handmade and custom, all the floors and wood in the room are new from us buying this house and redoing it; I've turned this large room into half armory/half nice office. I really didn't want a cheap Stack On cabinet to against the wall, right next to the large L shaped reloading bench. I literally just want a ventilated front, locking, TA-50ish type cabinet with 4-5 heavy shelves in it and either 36 or 42 inches wide. Why is this so hard?

I looked around and saw a ton of TA-50 cabinets and manufacturers and they are either too large (depth), won't talk to me since I'm not looking to order 5000 units or have ridiculous .mil pricing. Had Wirecrafters quote me on a 4 shelf, 20" depth TA-50 cabinet and wanted $2k for it. I couldn't LOL fast enough as you can find them all over for under $800. If I had 24" depth apparently this would be easier.

Any ideas? I'm not against spending some money, I mainly need something thats quality and will 'fit' into the look of the new room. Was hoping someone had an idea of what to look at or where else to look.

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 5:39:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Global Industrial

I've ordered a couple of 14 guage storage cabinets for both gear and ammo.  Very heavy duty.
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 9:10:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Global Industrial

I've ordered a couple of 14 guage storage cabinets for both gear and ammo.  Very heavy duty.
View Quote

I actually got a quote from them earlier today. Prices are much better than others; I'm starting to think that if the company puts out any kind of NSN cabinets (even if they are not what you are asking about) that their prices are going to be ridiculous.

I was looking at these; are they similar to what you got? I'm only wishing they came in different finishes as I was after olive or sand but I'm guessing they can be refinished.

http://www.globalindustrial.com/g/storage/cabinets/see-thru-door/extra-clear-view-storage-cabinets
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 7:16:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Hi,

I just ordered a cabinet for the same purpose as you.  I wanted something with a decent shelf weight capacity for ammo but that did not weigh too much overall to be difficult to move into my basement.  This seemed the best compromise between shelf capacity and overall weight of the cabinet:

http://www.zoro.com/durham-storage-cabinet-16-ga-72-in-h-36-in-w-2501-4s-95/i/G9948653/

It's 16ga, 700# shelf capacity, and weighs 320# overall.

I haven't received it yet, but I will let you know how it goes.

They do make a ventilated version that seems what you are looking for:

http://www.zoro.com/durham-storage-cabinet-14-ga-72-in-h-36-in-w-emdc-361872-95/i/G9936473/

The nice thing about this company is that shipping is included which can be substantial at other companies.  Also, if you register to their site, they send out occasional 20% coupons for even more savings.

Hope this helps
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 4:07:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the heads up. Just grabbed a 12 gauge 78" tall cabinet for my stuff. With the 25% coupon from the email it was around $450 shipped. Pretty happy with that!
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 9:13:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Tag for future.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top