Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/21/2015 11:01:20 PM EDT
Evening all,

I know the subject of security cameras come up a lot, so I apologize if this is just another irritating post. I've done a little searching and I've read the stickied threads... But I'm unsure which way to go with this.

Long story short, we have security cameras covering the inside of our home. They have been absolutely excellent to date. We want to extend to the outside of the house and ideally want them to utilize cloud based storage and motion activated. So if someone approaches the doors, side gates, garage, etc... Then we want to be able to see a period of time before and obviously continue till shortly after they are no longer visible. We don't want anyone in the back yard, spending unnecessary time near any vehicles that might be outside the garage, don't want packages taken from the front, etc...

The biggest issue I'm running into is, I prefer PoE or something, but to be honest, I am clueless when it comes to running the lines. That caused me to do a little googling on wireless set ups, and to be honest, as decent as they look, I'm just not sold on them.

I'm prepared to spend for quality (Would love it if I could get this done for maybe... 500 or under, not including any monthly fees for cloud space), but don't want to go overboard here. I'm sure many of you have probably read my thread in GD, so you are probably aware of my security concerns. If it's not doable near that price point I could sell a gun, but I figure it's a nice number to start.

What are my best options here? Anyone who could offer some expertise or assistance in the matter? It would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance for possibly taking the time to help out!

Link Posted: 11/22/2015 6:36:09 AM EDT
[#1]
quality at less than 500 for multiple cams plus some type of control is going to be a heck of a deal.

I would take a look at the Arlo stuff seems to get good reviews
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 9:36:07 AM EDT
[#2]
wrong thread
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 11:29:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
quality at less than 500 for multiple cams plus some type of control is going to be a heck of a deal.

I would take a look at the Arlo stuff seems to get good reviews
View Quote

Thanks. As I said, it's possibly to increase the budget if it's not doable.

I looked at the Arlo set up when looking at wireless and my concern was the delay. It takes seconds for someone to walk up the front porch to grab something and walk away, and what I read lead me to believe it wouldn't react that quickly. Unless I am mistaken?
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 10:01:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Hikvision cameras are excellent for the price point. I recommend using a desktop pc as a server initially as a quality nvr is expensive. I have 4 setup now and the most frustrating part is firewall / port forwarding related. They are Poe. Networkcameracritic has great reviews.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top