Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/4/2015 1:01:30 PM EDT

I'm in the market for a new safe.

When searching safes online I'd like to be able to compare prices in order to help narrow down my search.

Why don't companies list prices for their safes?

And why don't they take/post better interior pics of their safes? I don't really care what the outside looks like, I want to know what the layout looks like on the inside.

I'm looking for a 60+ gun safe and I'm trying to decide if the extra money is worth it for some of these safes. And it's easy enough to say, "Just go to a dealer and speak with them." But there aren't many dealers in the area and the couple that are, don't have anything for display.

Safes I'm considering; Libery Fatboy, Superior, Amsec, and Ft Knox.

Link Posted: 9/4/2015 3:49:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 4:11:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Well I'll jump in and point out that we'll lay the interior out any way you want from the factory.  Unless it gets too crazy we don't even charge extra.

There are pictures out there on our website as well.

Price wise, and I assume it is the same with other manufacturers, it is due to the dealer network that we don't list our pricing online.  Most of the dealers follow MAP pricing online but may offer discounts on the end transaction.  The feedback we received from them was that they did not want us listing MAP pricing because they wanted to be able to sell them in store at a lower price and not possibly lose customers online to a MAP price when they could possibly do a bit better.

that said, there are dealers of ours who publish pricing online and it is generally inline with MAP.

http://www.deansafe.com/ is a dealer for a number of brands and generally lists MAP pricing on his site if you are curious.

With any safe purchase, and no matter what brand you choose, just make sure you compare apples to apples and know what you are getting for your $.
View Quote

The last paragraph is paramount. There is voluminous discussion on safe technology in the safe guy's thread. Well worth a read through no matter what brand you are considering
Link Posted: 9/7/2015 6:22:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

The last paragraph is paramount. There is voluminous discussion on safe technology in the safe guy's thread. Well worth a read through no matter what brand you are considering
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well I'll jump in and point out that we'll lay the interior out any way you want from the factory.  Unless it gets too crazy we don't even charge extra.

There are pictures out there on our website as well.

Price wise, and I assume it is the same with other manufacturers, it is due to the dealer network that we don't list our pricing online.  Most of the dealers follow MAP pricing online but may offer discounts on the end transaction.  The feedback we received from them was that they did not want us listing MAP pricing because they wanted to be able to sell them in store at a lower price and not possibly lose customers online to a MAP price when they could possibly do a bit better.

that said, there are dealers of ours who publish pricing online and it is generally inline with MAP.

http://www.deansafe.com/ is a dealer for a number of brands and generally lists MAP pricing on his site if you are curious.

With any safe purchase, and no matter what brand you choose, just make sure you compare apples to apples and know what you are getting for your $.

Have been following it all along.

How do you go about choosing a safe if you can't compare prices?

Link Posted: 9/7/2015 7:33:39 PM EDT
[#4]
View Quote

You hop in your car, head to your nearest safe retailers, and take a look in person.

Link Posted: 9/7/2015 9:56:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

You hop in your car, head to your nearest safe retailers, and take a look in person.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Exactly what I did.  I would not purchase a safe without seeing it in person.  Furthermore, there are features/upgrades you may change your mind about once seeing the safe in person. This happened to me.  

Also, unless you are a real pro, I would spend the extra money and have the "safe people" move it .  Damaged from moving a 1000 pound plus safes can exceed the price of paying pros.

I purchased my safe from home security/locksmith professionals.  In addition to adding a safe, I have purchased some additional quality home security products.  The owner is a real security pro who has a genuine interest in protecting his customers property and lives.  The small amount of money I paid for the professional service is well worth it.  
Link Posted: 9/8/2015 9:44:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

You act like its so easy. When you live in St. Louis yes it is. When you live where I do all we have are big box stores, and a couple LGS that stock Champion, Heritage and Liberty.
Link Posted: 9/8/2015 9:51:03 PM EDT
[#7]
  You act like its so easy. When you live in St. Louis yes it is. When you live where I do all we have are big box stores, and a couple LGS that stock Champion, Heritage and Liberty.  
View Quote

What's your zip code?

Big box stores, Champion, Heritage, and Liberty.  Sounds like you have several options.

Link Posted: 9/8/2015 10:34:32 PM EDT
[#8]
I would never trust a third party with the security of my firearms and house. If they install it they know exactly what you have, how the system is setup, etc. Yes, it is low risk, but its a risk I won't take.

Also, moving heavy stuff is not that hard. Be smart, go slow, plan ahead of time, and be prepared. If you aren't comfortable doing it, then go ahead and use professionals, but don't discourage people before you even know what their skill level or intelligence is.
Link Posted: 9/8/2015 10:45:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same problem I had.  There was an AMSEC dealer but he had no inventory.  I ordered my safe from him anyway but he would only deliver to the curb.  There were no other manufacturers dealers other than big box type within 200 miles of me and I didn't want a cheap safe.
Link Posted: 9/8/2015 11:08:56 PM EDT
[#10]
 Same problem I had. There was an AMSEC dealer but he had no inventory. I ordered my safe from him anyway but he would only deliver to the curb. There were no other manufacturers dealers other than big box type within 200 miles of me and I didn't want a cheap safe.  
View Quote

I have been discussing this problem in another thread.  It's mostly due to online dealers and some of the manufacturers refusing to keep them in check.  This results in the locals dropping the lines or limiting inventory.

Link Posted: 9/9/2015 10:14:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It does stink being rural. My neighbor sells safes. His day job is farming and selling/repairing golf carts. He has a dozen in his shop.

After that i can drive 60 miles to the nearest city (20,000 people) where the prevailing customer service theme is "well yeah.......we could probably get you a quote. Bob the owner does all that. He comes in once a week. Do you have a part number of what you want a price on?"
Link Posted: 9/10/2015 11:39:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

It does stink being rural. My neighbor sells safes. His day job is farming and selling/repairing golf carts. He has a dozen in his shop.

After that i can drive 60 miles to the nearest city (20,000 people) where the prevailing customer service theme is "well yeah.......we could probably get you a quote. Bob the owner does all that. He comes in once a week. Do you have a part number of what you want a price on?"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah where I live the population is only 14K. There is a bigger city (almost 80K) only about 20 minutes away but still no safe dealers. Only LGS and big box. Either way I'm extremely happy with my FK. Even supported a UT business while I was at it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top