Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/31/2015 2:33:45 AM EDT
Looking for cameras to install around the house and shop. What system would be best?

Looking for 4-6 cameras
Night Vision
1080p
Want to view cameras from inside house and in my shop area
Wireless?
1 tb of storage

Any help or recommendations are appreciated. Thanks
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 12:40:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 1:41:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 4:56:21 PM EDT
[#3]
I was pretty happy with Vitek 3 years ago when I set up security cameras for my last home I installed Vitek, 720 lines was the max back then, but 1080s are fairly common now. I went with a sam's system 10 years ago at one of my office locations, decent stuff but a lack of after sales options. Infrared is very common, I haven't seen a system without it lately. Vitek has an app for the ipad which I used a couple times then got bored, I'm sure you can find a way to view over a different PC. Also a weakness on the ipad app for vitek: it's only live viewing, I wouldn't be able to rewind and fast forward the feed. I'd hope things have progressed before I get a new system installed at my next place.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 5:00:23 PM EDT
[#4]
And I'll echo do not do wireless if possible. You'll have to have a 110 plug by each camera location. I also don't think wireless cameras offer battery backup protection. You could put your DVR system on a big UPS battery backup to keep feed going in a power outage.
It may make sense to supplement a wireless camera or two in unique situations, but pro's I dealt with in the past don't recommend them unless you can't get to a place with wires.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 6:06:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 6:09:50 PM EDT
[#6]
I love our Nest cameras.  I can watch them from my iPhone
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 10:07:06 PM EDT
[#7]
https://youtu.be/ndJ_3MZUG9E

One feature you really need on cameras facing bright sun is wide dynamic range. I had this exact problem and this feature solves it. Too much sun, and/or contrast leaves some faces bleached out, or they are just a black silhouette. Watch that video above, it makes it easy to understand. I used this in warehouses and at doorways to see who comes and goes.

It was great because UPS/Fedex would back right up to the door with cameras and throw my packages. I would just show their bosses as the shipping company would regularly deny damage claims but won't take fault in mishandling packages. We used to have a guy which would try hook shots and 3 pointers into the truck.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 12:26:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the replies. Only reason I mentioned wireless is the house is about 100 ft away from the shop, so not sure wiring will work. Will continue to do some research.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 6:30:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 9:06:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for the replies. Only reason I mentioned wireless is the house is about 100 ft away from the shop, so not sure wiring will work. Will continue to do some research.
View Quote

Well with in range of a wire. Cat 6 is like 328' max RECOMMENDED distance. I've seen it strung much further.....
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 11:29:49 PM EDT
[#11]
For one of my old homes, the garage was not attached but I had my home business contents in that garage. To keep it under alarm services we had pvc conduit ran underground just a few to several inches.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 8:49:59 PM EDT
[#12]
I won a bid on one of these units.

Swann System

All I can say is; dang glad I got it.
Remote app works great on smartphone.
Quality has been fantastic.
Flawless application for the past several weeks.

Edit to Add:  This is only a "self-monitoring" system.  No monthly charges.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top